How do you find your PRS?

yeah, I hate to say this, but being a lefty, many of our usual sources won't have much to choose from. That's a whole different world, especially with PRS. I've really not seen many PRS lefty guitars. You may be more limited by available choice than just by "what should I try next."

Yeah, lefties are in a class by themselves. Problem is that that builders don't often build left-handed guitars, simply because it requires entirely different CNC routing programing, and a different mindset than right-handed guitars. My empathy to the OP for his having learned to play on a left-handed guitar when he was younger.

A mix of a lot of stuff.

I got most of my used SE guitars on eBay because that's the best place to scoop up a deal on those.

My SE7 was from some pawn shop on Buya. Google posted the link when I did a search on the model. It was stupid cheap, so I said what the hell...

Reverb

When I was hunting hard for the right 594, I would regularly go to the various big dealer websites.

I'm lucky enough that Righteous Guitars is my local shop.

Most often Craigslist.
Reverb too.

Bought an early run SE off Reverb with the neck broken at the body for cheap, then steamed off the heel, cleaned it up, glued it, leveled the frets+setup, fixed the other body abuse -- it had been gigged for several years. It's a good player now.

The steaming was taking a while so I emailed PRS support to find out what glue they used, in the off chance it was some epoxy that was impervious to steaming off, and they weren't quite sure what the SEs had. They did tell me that 'even we don't try repairing that' kind of damage.
The neck came apart and it's a titebond style of wood glue, in case you need to go that path.

img_20170726_162339-jpg.449697

img_20170727_170742-jpg.452529

img_20170726_160045-jpg.453526

img_20180629_083238.jpg

I find starting with the list of PS dealer websites is a good way to go - generally among the more knowledgeable folks in the business and long ties with PRS. Most are generous with their time when speaking on the phone to answer any questions too. Good folks!

yeah, I hate to say this, but being a lefty, many of our usual sources won't have much to choose from. That's a whole different world, especially with PRS. I've really not seen many PRS lefty guitars. You may be more limited by available choice than just by "what should I try next."
Yup, that's definitely the case. That's really the whole reason that I threw this out there, that someone would have an idea that I hadn't thought of.

I find starting with the list of PS dealer websites is a good way to go - generally among the more knowledgeable folks in the business and long ties with PRS. Most are generous with their time when speaking on the phone to answer any questions too. Good folks!
No doubt, I definitely agree. Moore has always done right by me, so they're my go-to guys now, and hooked me up with the PS / Vault tour of a lifetime. I'm always on the lookout for whatever's out there, just waiting for a good home though.

Guitar Sanctuary has a left handed section on the web site - some CU24s in Stock.
Ah, cool, there's another place to check out.

No problemo. If I were a lefty with some dough I'd be callin' Eddie...
That is a really good looking Custom 24, but since that's what I'm playing now I'm really holding out for something different.

The great thing about PRS core (and to a lesser extent, SEs) is that they are so consistently good that you can order on line and feel confident that it will be a good guitar.
Definitely, that lets me focus more on whether or not I trust the seller.

My empathy to the OP for his having learned to play on a left-handed guitar when he was younger.
Here's the really crazy thing: I started in the 80's on a right handed Ibanez, strung backwards. I think if I could go back in time, I'd make myself play righty. I took an injury to the middle finger of my right hand (my fretting hand), and have been working around it for 15+ years. I think that was the big guy upstairs giving me a second chance to swap over (much like Tony Iommi says he wished he did), and didn't take him up on it...

Jack Gretz at Northeast Music has been my dealer for nearly 20 years. Straight-up great guy to do business with, and is wonderful setting them up the way I like (he’s a luthier, too). Top notch service, has excellent relationship with PRS, fast problem-solver. So I just check out what he’s got.

I don’t know how he does it, but the guitars are always in pristine shape in his shop.

Jack sends video clips if I want to hear the ones I’m interested in, and has given me great advice, since after all these years he knows what I like.

I haven’t bought a guitar from anyone else since 2001!

Jack Gretz at Northeast Music has been my dealer for nearly 20 years. Straight-up great guy to do business with, and is wonderful setting them up the way I like (he’s a luthier, too). Top notch service, has excellent relationship with PRS, fast problem-solver. So I just check out what he’s got.

I don’t know how he does it, but the guitars are always in pristine shape in his shop.

Jack sends video clips if I want to hear the ones I’m interested in, and has given me great advice, since after all these years he knows what I like.

I haven’t bought a guitar from anyone else since 2001!

I have a PS coming within the next couple weeks. Jack has been nothing short of terrific through the whole process.

"Hmmm, he's in PA, right next to me. Maybe I should go check out the shop, make a day trip out of it..."
<Googles directions>
"WTF?!?!? Why is everything in PA like 250 mi from me?!?!?"

"Hmmm, he's in PA, right next to me. Maybe I should go check out the shop, make a day trip out of it..."
<Googles directions>
"WTF?!?!? Why is everything in PA like 250 mi from me?!?!?"

Don’t feel bad, I’m in Michigan!

My SE came from guitar center.

My custom 24 I bought on eBay

I found a Singlecut Hollowbody I piezo for S2 money in a used bookstore.

I traded the Singlecut for an old semihollow McCarty.

And a little over a month ago bought the Hollowbody back.

But I am a big reverb, FB marketplace, and Craigslist stalker.

Back