How do you find your PRS?

DougUSMC

Perpetual Practicer
I posted in a thread earlier this week, that I'm planning to try to visit a couple of shops while I'm traveling to TX this week. I tend to be a "guitar per year" kinda' guy, so I'm always on the lookout for something new to augment my collection. Lately I've been pretty fixated on finding another PRS, but things are super complicated because I'm a lefty. I know Paul loves all his guitar-collecting children equally, but it's tough sometimes to feel that love.

I generally peruse the list o Craig periodically, as well as keep an eye on some local dealers. One in particular knows me well enough to let me know when something interesting comes in. I don't have anything in mind, but those brighter colors have been catching my eye, and I'm trying to stay away from another Custom 24.

I see a lot of amazing guitars here, and just wonder: Where are you finding them??

Don't worry, I won't be stealing your potential finds down the road. Lefty, remember?? :D

Down the stairs, straight ahead. Cased beauties on the left, the heavy lifters on the floor or in a rack right in front of me.

Unless I'm recording - then they're all behind me.

Its not difficult. I don't have a very big house.

Beat me to it... :D:D

All mine are no more than 5-10m away at any point in my house - including those that are 'cased' whilst another is in use - my house is 'tiny' compared to some peoples rooms. There are pictures of peoples music rooms with their guitars hanging around the walls that look bigger than all the rooms in my house combined - so its easy to find my guitars... Also I don't play hide and seek with my beauty's... :D

In all seriousness though, I tend to look at the few Guitar Shops that are online and sell PRS guitars. A couple are on Reverb too so I have my Reverb feed set to find Guitars that match my criteria. 3 of my PRS guitars all came from the same retailer and the other was acquired by another after I asked if they had and/or could locate the guitar I wanted. I just asked if they had or could locate a Fire Burst Red version of the model I wanted and after they got in contact with their PRS Rep, they got back in touch with a few pics of the different tops from the 3 or 4 their Rep had, and so I could select the one I wanted.

As a person in the UK, I am sure my options are much more limited - especially if I want to avoid massive other costs of shipping, handling, import duty etc etc. As such, I tend not to look in the US stores. I also look primarily for 'new' guitars too. I want my guitars to to tell their story of my ownership, my usage - not come with a history and stories to tell that I don't know about. I want to be able to say that 'ding' happened whilst.... Its also part of the reason I can't stand guitars that have been Relic'd. To me they are lying! There story is just BS, pure fiction. They have 'no' history - certainly not the history they are pretending to have. If a guitar hasn't been 'played', hasn't had the 'life' its pretending to have, it doesn't deserve the battle scars!! Some of the Relic Guitars I have seen look like they have been beaten to death and ought to be put out of their misery. Almost 'fire' wood. Most look like they need some TLC to restore them to their former glory to save them from the scrap heap. the rest look like they deserve to be retired' to see out the rest of their days with just some light use...

That's getting a bit off topic - the main crux of that though is that I don't tend to look for used (although I may consider one from a retailer with some warranty) so I am limited by the Music retailers that I can find in the UK that also stock PRS.

There's a guitar shop called River City Guitars about 5 min from my house. I pop in every Saturday to see what's "new". They typically carry vintage, but will take in the odd PRS every so often.

Other than that, craigslist (the last one) and Reverb (where there's a Modern Eagle I'm desperately attempting to find a way to justify buying).

The only new PRS I ever bought (for myself) was from Chuck Levin's in 1990, but I plan on putting together a PS order through someone at some point, there just aren't any dealers in my area for that sort of thing.

There's a guitar shop called River City Guitars about 5 min from my house. I pop in every Saturday to see what's "new". They typically carry vintage, but will take in the odd PRS every so often.

Other than that, craigslist (the last one) and Reverb (where there's a Modern Eagle I'm desperately attempting to find a way to justify buying).

The only new PRS I ever bought (for myself) was from Chuck Levin's in 1990, but I plan on putting together a PS order through someone at some point, there just aren't any dealers in my area for that sort of thing.

Very cool, thanks.
Chuck's just had their 60th anniversary events last year, and PRSh came by to do some talks and signings. Pretty cool event, all in.

Ok, thanks all. It sounds like I'm looking in all the right places (except eBay, I haven't really trusted them lately...), and I should just keep casting the net.

My wallet has been telling me lately to not take liberties with (from) it so much. The better choice is then to consider buying used, from eBay, Reverb, or other used online retailers.

Kind of like what happens when you bring your lunch to school and the big I.A. kid swipes your lunch. Not being selfish, just can't allow a big IA kid taking my lunch. Oh, you mean give you my lunch money?

Only when I know the money you receive has something real (and good) that I receive in exchange.

That being said, there are lefty guitars somewhere for us to view. Google is your friend, and while it may take a bit of research, um, you can expect results for your work.

Last edited:
yeah, I hate to say this, but being a lefty, many of our usual sources won't have much to choose from. That's a whole different world, especially with PRS. I've really not seen many PRS lefty guitars. You may be more limited by available choice than just by "what should I try next."

Back