For Those Who Write Original Music...

Could not agree with your more Mr. Les! Good points all the way around!! On a personal level, here is my position on your 5 points (and I feel very lucky to be in such positions):

1. Release ourselves from the irrational fantasy of stardom.
NEVER wanted stardom! This is why I set up my publishing company the way I did, very hidden!! I also set it up in such a way that I can publish under multiple artist names and not have others trying to pigeon hole me to a specific genre!!! People who desire the fantasy of stardom, do not believe in themselves, therefore needing the adoration of others to feel good ;~((

2. Release ourselves from the corollary of the stardom fantasy, which is that if you're not a star, you've somehow failed.
As mentioned above, those who feel they failed were probably trying to achieve something other than creative output, they were simply trying to be fabulous to as many people as possible! I am lucky enough to not care what others think of what I do, because I am doing it for myself!! If others enjoy it, that is icing on the cake, but I am eating my cake with our without any icing and it tastes great!!! When I released my first song in 2014, my inhibitions about not having accomplished anything were lifted off my shoulders and I no longer viewed my life (from a creative viewpoint) as a failure!!!! Up until then though, I kicked myself almost daily for not doing anything with my talents for decades, but it wasn't a "I am not famous" kick, it was a "you haven't done sh!t with your gifts" kick!!!!!

3. Do the damn work.
On it! But I don't call it work, gives a bad taste to it IMO!! CREATE!!! One of the friends I was able to hook up with in my recent travels has the nickname of "Rockstar"! This is due to the fact that he was just that to me and our mutual friends in the decades past!! Lead singer of a popular band, all the chicks wanted him, wrote good stuff, etc.!!!! I was staying at his house initially on this trip, and ended up moving to my nieces house because it just made me cry that all he wanted to do was drink, and viewed his music as work!!!! We have been friends for over 35 years, and the only time we ever jammed together was at an open mic night they used to have at one of our hangouts many decades ago (played bass on Message In A Bottle one night). Now that I am able to play over 100 songs (including some of his), I was so excited about jamming with him, but it never happened and he got salty about me even suggesting that we should spend some time jamming because he is viewing music strictly as work these days!!!! Heart crushing to say the least ;~((

4. Share the damn work.
On it! Sharing your creations may help someone else as well and whether it does or not, it will help you to release it from within, which will make room for more creations (rather than that stuff just cycling through your brain and soul)!!! In the immortal words of Bob Dylan "I need a dump truck baby to, unload my head"!!!! If you don't unload what is in there, you will be driving around with a full load and be prevented from picking up a new a lot of new material!!!!!

5. Your mom still loves you.
And too much IMO all things considered! I did just play for her about 6 days ago, but it was early in the morning and the voice was not awake yet so I did not sing!! I had not seen her since the pandemic started, and I had picked up a beater guitar at CME a few days prior (Gretsch Streamliner - wanted a cheap jazz box I would not have to worry about and at $495, I thought it played and sounded great)!!! I played for her not because I wanted a pat on the head, but because I know how excited she is about me finally making the music that has existed inside me my entire life!!! But yes, play for your mom and other family/friends, I was excited to be able to do that on this 3 week journey I just had!!!!

This is all good stuff (the whole thread) and I hope that folk will find wisdom and confidence in the concepts portrayed here! Thanks again for starting it and contributing your knowledge/experience/thoughts on this topic, Mr. L!!!!
You're a good guy, Moondog!

But of course my post was a general principles kinda thing, wasn't directed at you at all. You seem like a very level-headed person, one who's creative and likes the enjoyment of music.

More power to you!

You're a good guy, Moondog!

But of course my post was a general principles kinda thing, wasn't directed at you at all. You seem like a very level-headed person, one who's creative and likes the enjoyment of music.

More power to you!
I know it was not directed at me specifically, but just wanted to point out where I am at on each of those elements as I think they are important talking points in this whole convo!! It's a pleasure getting to know you Mr L and thanks again for the wisdom you have shared!!!

I know it was not directed at me specifically, but just wanted to point out where I am at on each of those elements as I think they are important talking points in this whole convo!! It's a pleasure getting to know you Mr L and thanks again for the wisdom you have shared!!!
Ah, you knew all this stuff already!

I just like to yak too much.

2. Release ourselves from the corollary of the stardom fantasy, which is that if you're not a star, you've somehow failed.

Bullsh!t. You haven't failed. Stardom has nothing to do with success or failure and everything to do with people glomming onto some fantasy.
I think that this, coupled with the spoils of fame, has a lot to do with the fate of many child stars... and athletes. Give a guy straight out of college millions of dollars before he ever performs in the pros, and if he starts living like a millionaire and is not smart with money, he can be out of the game and broke in 5-7 years. I've told this story before here, but there was a big time (hall of fame) baseball player was referred to me for a mortgage about 20 years ago... He was a $100K/year salary hitting coach for an MLB team. His wife wasn't employed. He owned homes in Cinci, California, Florida and Arizona... all but one, valued over a million dollars and his home in Cinci was $895K, again 20 years ago. He "thought" had had 2 -3 more years at least in the show, making 5 mil or more a year, and the "plan" was to start selling off properties prior to retirement. But he didn't get to decide when he was retiring... and here he is with almost $5 million dollars worth of homes, over $4Mil in mortgages on them, and making $100K/year. needless to say, when he came to me, his credit was RUINED and he lost hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity due to the need to fire sale super high end properties. But that is just the financial aspect of it. The other stuff is worse. His wife made a comment to me that "he needed to cut off some hangers on a few years earlier and they would have been in far better shape." I didn't ask but we've all heard the stories about the entourages music stars, and big athletes can have...

But I think the mental aspect of being a "big star" one day, and then you're not anymore... or you still "are" but you ain't gettin' paid... the pressure to maintain a life style... Hard to go from the peak to the valley. And the higher that peak is, the more dangerous the drop to that valley.

I haven't been around here much lately. August is the busiest time of year at my hotel bar. Getting hit kind of rough with Covid didn't help either. So I came on yesterday and saw this amazing thread created by Les. Since yesterday I've been slowly reading and taking in ever single wonderful comment.

What does songwriting mean to me? It was the reason 12 year old me mowed lawns and shoveled snow in elderly neighbors yards saving up cash for his first guitar in '87. It was never about learning cover songs or attracting girls (well yeah... it kinda was about girls, too) but as means of expression. Till this day it's all about expression. Turning my feelings, experiences, a story I'll hear from someone into music and lyrics. Songwriting is one the of the most wonderful things in my life. And I'm a nobody when it comes to songwriting. I'm a self taught musician who knows his modes and some theory. But the feeling I get when music, melody and lyrics just all come together and click is simply unbeatable. Up until a few years ago I never had the means to record my musical inspirations at home. But with today's technology this is a thing of the past. I may not have high-end, expensive equipment, but what I have is enough for doing my thing at home, rocking out to it in my car, uploading it on the internet and sharing it with friends. For this I am beyond grateful.

I feel as the years progress, I'm getting better at songwriting and that is exciting. It keeps that creative flame burning. My song writing process is usually this: I'll be in a certain state of mind/ mood due to some experience or something I heard. I'll come up with a riff or melody. I build music around it. Making the music have a "story" for it to be in sync with my feeling/mood. Same with solos. They got tell a story, have a melody. Then come the lyrics. Lyrics for some reason I find are kind of getting harder to write as I'm getting older where I find writing music much easier. Lately for lyrics , what I do is , I make a little demo of the song I'm working on. Then on my commute to and back from work (40 minute drive both ways) I'll work on lyrics and melody in my car while I drive.

On a final note. I got to build up the confidence and start singing. All my demos are no vocals. This is something that I'm going to try over the next weeks once I get rid of my annoying post Covid cough.

I'll leave you all with a link to some music I recorded recently. I met a young woman at my bar who fled from the Ukraine due to the war and was passing through Greece. She told me her rough story leaving home and on the road. I went home that night and wrote Tears For Odessa (Odessa is her home city).

I know never going to be anybody in the world of music, but I don't care... music is the world to me. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Last edited:
It was never about learning cover songs or attracting girls (well yeah... it kinda was about girls, too) but as means of expression.

I played in band in my 20's - played dozens of shows over a few years - not once did any woman show interest in me at a show

Moreover, throughout my dating life ( I am now 50), not one woman ever asked me to pick up the guitar to hear me play nor took any interest in my songwriting -- however, if I dared to ever say I couldn't care less about what some "b***h" at her office wore to work, it would result in an argument

I played in band in my 20's - played dozens of shows over a few years - not once did any woman show interest in me at a show

Moreover, throughout my dating life ( I am now 50), not one woman ever asked me to pick up the guitar to hear me play nor took any interest in my songwriting -- however, if I dared to ever say I couldn't care less about what some "b***h" at her office wore to work, it would result in an argument

I've told this story before, but anytime we're watching or listening to a guitarist who says he picked up the instrument (at least in part) to get girls, my wife will turn to me and say, "So how's that working out for you?" She loves that I play guitar - because every minute I'm playing is another minute I'm not around her.

I haven't been around here much lately. August is the busiest time of year at my hotel bar. Getting hit kind of rough with Covid didn't help either. So I came on yesterday and saw this amazing thread created by Les. Since yesterday I've been slowly reading and taking in ever single wonderful comment.

What does songwriting mean to me? It was the reason 12 year old me mowed lawns and shoveled snow in elderly neighbors yards saving up cash for his first guitar in '87. It was never about learning cover songs or attracting girls (well yeah... it kinda was about girls, too) but as means of expression. Till this day it's all about expression. Turning my feelings, experiences, a story I'll hear from someone into music and lyrics. Songwriting is one the of the most wonderful things in my life. And I'm a nobody when it comes to songwriting. I'm a self taught musician who knows his modes and some theory. But the feeling I get when music, melody and lyrics just all come together and click is simply unbeatable. Up until a few years ago I never had the means to record my musical inspirations at home. But with today's technology this is a thing of the past. I may not have high-end, expensive equipment, but what I have is enough for doing my thing at home, rocking out to it in my car, uploading it on the internet and sharing it with friends. For this I am beyond grateful.

I feel as the years progress, I'm getting better at songwriting and that is exciting. It keeps that creative flame burning. My song writing process is usually this: I'll be in a certain state of mind/ mood due to some experience or something I heard. I'll come up with a riff or melody. I build music around it. Making the music have a "story" for it to be in sync with my feeling/mood. Same with solos. They got tell a story, have a melody. Then come the lyrics. Lyrics for some reason I find are kind of getting harder to write as I'm getting older where I find writing music much easier. Lately for lyrics , what I do is , I make a little demo of the song I'm working on. Then on my commute to and back from work (40 minute drive both ways) I'll work on lyrics and melody in my car while I drive.

On a final note. I got to build up the confidence and start singing. All my demos are no vocals. This is something that I'm going to try over the next weeks once I get rid of my annoying post Covid cough.

I'll leave you all with a link to some music I recorded recently. I met a young woman at my bar who fled from the Ukraine due to the war and was passing through Greece. She told me her rough story leaving home and on the road. I went home that night and wrote Tears For Odessa (Odessa is her home city).

I know never going to be anybody in the world of music, but I don't care... music is the world to me. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Yessir! Keep up the good work!

I've told this story before, but anytime we're watching or listening to a guitarist who says he picked up the instrument (at least in part) to get girls, my wife will turn to me and say, "So how's that working out for you?"

Gentlemen. You had opportunities to meet women at shows, and you didn't know what the f#ck to do with them.

Blame yourselves.

Shows were a wonderful ice-breaker! How easy was it to start a conversation with something as simple as, "Did you like our set?"

If you weren't engaging with your audience, that's on you. I thank music for the opportunity to have met some great friends and date some super-nice women.

Last edited:
Gentlemen. You had opportunities to meet women at shows, and you didn't know what the f#ck to do with them.

Blame yourselves.

Shows were a wonderful ice-breaker! How easy was it to start a conversation with something as simple as, "Did you like our set?"

If you weren't engaging with your audience, that's on you. I thank music for the opportunity to have met some great friends and date some super-nice women.

ueI0Uec.gif

Good job, brother! Enjoyed that a lot

Music is my religion! I have known this since I was a young child, and I feel the same today!! I started playing clarinet when I was six. After a month or so, my teacher took me aside and asked if I would be interested in staying after school 3 days a week for an hour or so to learn some other instruments. I reluctantly agreed (reluctant because I wanted to be with my friends playing outside)! Over the next two years (before she left the school), she taught me to play piano, harp, auto-harp and xylophone. In regular music class of course, we were all learning to play the famous recorder (clarinet light)! It was an incredible gift that she gave to me and I am forever grateful for her commitment to advancing my recognized passion for music.

I never chose a career in music because even as a child, I could see there was something "wrong" with that industry. Hearing on the news about the payola scams, the fight that Zappa had with Warner Bros over artist writes and compensation, the great unrecognized artists, the purity of what I wanted from music and what I might create cemented the idea in my head that choosing it for a career would end in misery for me.

Over the next many decades, I have written over 1,500 songs (and wrote one of my top 5 EVER was written in June '22 to be released later this year). When I say "wrote a song", I am not claiming that I have completed a musical score and produced it, what I am saying is lyrically I wrote these (I have done only a few instrumentals and never "wrote" them out). 95% of them (other 5%, can't quite recall how they worked, but they had melodies in my head when written), I can sing (horribly), so the music for them is in my head. I have only completed about 100 of those songs into finalized musical pieces and have released about 50 of those independently.

I existed for decades with guitars in the closet, never taking the time to really learn them. I continued to write down the songs that come into my head (which is a daily occurrence even now, wrote one yesterday, wrote one today) and these days, have the technology to capture those melodies and phrasings that come along with that stream of consciousness, so the days of not remembering the melodies are pretty much gone. This laziness and avoidance of my musical skill is nothing but my own fault, but when I released my first song on Oct 31, 2014, my soul had a huge sigh of relief and I felt more at peace in my existence. Since then, I released two albums and about 25 singles under 4 different artist names/genres. First album (released Jan 28, 2015) was sent to about 400 independent and college radio stations across the country. Of the stations that report back on plays (which are very few), 6 of the 13 songs on that album got airplay on 15 different radio stations in 10 states! I could not have been happier to see that I was not crazy in thinking this music was pretty good.

Then came 2021 and my first PRS (WL HBII)! Largely as a result of that purchase, I played approximately 1500 hours last year (more than the rest of my guitar hours in my life) and am now, in my opinion, ready to start performing my music as well as the music of others. In all the time I was releasing music over the last 8 years, it was always "learn the part, record it, release it, move on to next big hit"! Could not play a single one of my songs live. After getting that PRS and two more, I shook my head and said "time to perform", so that is what I have been working on for the past 18 months or so. Last year, for the first time, I took the stage a few times in my tiny community for short stints (3-4 songs) and was offered a gig! I was not "ready" in my head and told him I would get back to him. That was October of 2021. Last year I was also invited to play live on a local radio station and did so twice (although the engineer slaughtered the mix both times I was on)! Then 2022 happened and my world has been turned upside down with medical BS (not looking for a pity party, just part of the story)! I am doing better, but still have quite a bit of work ahead and I am going for it! Music is about the only thing going right in my life at the moment!

The most important part for me in the music I create is me staying true to what I want to do, and so far I am on track! If you have made it this far, thanks for reading my blather! Here are a few links (my favorites) to works released throughout the past 8 years, all feedback (good, bad, ugly) appreciated ;~))

Da' Mutta' Funka's
Funk Monster
Luna Funk
Who Got Funk
Corner Of Funk & Boogie

King Kawhileiwhilei
PakAloloha

Moondog Wily
Giddy Up With A Whiskey Cup
Cold Day In Summer
Howlin' At The Moon
Yesterdays & Tomorrows

My fourth artist will not be listed here due to the political nature of it's content and the rules of this forum which I agree with and try to be fully compliant with ;~()

To sum it up, I am in this for me and fulfilling my goals to create what floats into my head! If others like it, that is great!! If not, not a problem, I will continue to create!!! I have also been having a BLAST over the past 18 months, learning others songs and giving them my own twist, sooooo much fun!!!! My "Spill The Wine" is a really neato version IMO ;~))

Thanks for starting this thread Les! I have been encouraging forum members to post their music in the Studio & Stage section since I joined in Feb '21, and hopefully this thread you have created will spur us being able to hear more of what the members are creating with PRSi (and other) instruments!
First - damn, man this thread moves fast. Miss a couple of days and I'm 4 pages behind.

So, 'Dawg, I've been to your sites and all I gotta say is you have creativity coming out of your pores! Wish I had a fraction of it. Not only the story/music, but even the artwork. Impressive. And, you most definitely have a point of view and feel the need to share it with anyone who asks. Ain't nothing wrong with that, you gotta be you. Have you ever done any multimedia? Combining your stories & music along with the art?

In defense of Zappa, he was a whole lot more than odd! I always refer to him as the greatest composer of the 20th century!! If you have not already heard "Jazz From Hell" or "The Yellow Shark" and some of his other late career work, definitely check it out!!!
Zappa was a musical genius. Imagine just scoring all those parts for all those musicians. And then execute it to precision. His music is for sure not everyone's cup of tea, and even generated negative call-ins when I played his music during a 2 hour "Boomer Jam" show I hosted once a month or so at a public radio station. Still played him, loved his guitar solos.

And so based on my previous comment (Let me know when you NFT your DNA, I'll buy a few tokens!!), a song popped into my head. Do not read any of this literal in any way, it is just a series of words that I thought sounded cool together and elicited thoughts and images! Took me 27 minutes to write and I have recorded a rough mix of the vocal melody! This happens to me nearly every day and although I love it and it is fun, it is sometimes overwhelming! Anyway, here it is, the next smash hit from Moondog Wily "I NFT'd My DNA":

I NFT'd My DNA - Copyright August 20, 2022 - ANO Publishing, LLC - All Rights Reserved

<verse 1>
I NFT'd
My DNA
Thought I'd see
Who wanted to play

Play in the pool
I was born
Play in the history
Of my family lore

Put up for sale
Just who I was
On the auction block
Just because

Just because
Molecule strings
Might give to others
That missing thing

<chorus 1>
Do you wanna buy
Who I am
Do you wanna try
To live my fam
Do you wanna know
What it's like
To be like me
Each and every night

<verse 2>
A fungible token
Of who I am
Put on the market
Like the other scams

Selling the make up
Of my life
Selling the strings
That hold me tight

Any takers
Do beware
This DNA could be a
Double dare

Consume with caution
Don't you know
Or you may end up
In my horror show

<chorus 2>
Do you wanna see
Through my eyes
Do you wanna live
My loves and lies
Do you wanna feel
The way I feel
Do you wanna wallow
In my minds fields

<bridge>
Deoxyribonucleic
Acid it is formulaic
Adenine
Bonds with Thymine
Cytosine
Clings to Guanine
In a ladder like
Double helix
Flies through your life
Just like a Phoenix

<verse 3>
Be wary of
What you desire
Take what you got
Light your own fire

Do not attempt
To be anyone else
You are a treasure
In and of yourself

Look to your loves
And love your dreams
Others lives are not
What they seam

The seams that hold
Our chemistry
Are all just ships
On a raging sea

<outro>
Do not try to buy
Who I am
Do not try to be
Some other man
Just live with who
And what you are
Live your best life
Like a shooting star

I NFT'd my DNA
Thought it'd be fun
To see some play
And then I realized
My mistake
Buyers would be livin'
A life that's fake
Heysoos H Friggin' Christo, this is exactly what I meant in my earlier post to you and the creativity that just pours out of you. You say you wrote this in 27 minutes and that this sh*t happens to you every day? As the Turk said to Don Corleone, "Salud"

Wow, Viper, that is some fine guitar right there. Dig your progressions. Great work.

Back