For Those Who Write Original Music...

That's humbling from someone such as yourself...thank you!

I've never been able to get much traction with my tunes; they tend to be complicated harmonically and rhythmically and I've had a bunch of good players basically tell me they are just too hard to be fun to play. Especially for people with day jobs, kids, etc. who are doing music for fun.

I guess if you're playing music for fun, it should be fun, right?

Plus I'm never really satisfied; all I hear is the things that AREN'T right, and can't enjoy the things that are, which I think also burns people out. I hadn't listened to this rehearsal recording in a couple years. I remembered at the time not being especially pleased with it, but listening to it now it seems ok.

Thanks for your kind words Les!

That's humbling from someone such as yourself...thank you!

I've never been able to get much traction with my tunes; they tend to be complicated harmonically and rhythmically and I've had a bunch of good players basically tell me they are just too hard to be fun to play. Especially for people with day jobs, kids, etc. who are doing music for fun.

I guess if you're playing music for fun, it should be fun, right?

Plus I'm never really satisfied; all I hear is the things that AREN'T right, and can't enjoy the things that are, which I think also burns people out. I hadn't listened to this rehearsal recording in a couple years. I remembered at the time not being especially pleased with it, but listening to it now it seems ok.

Thanks for your kind words Les!
The kind words are entirely deserved!

This was with my fusion band from before the COVID explosion. My tune, I'm on rhythm. It features the great (to me) Stephan Richards on lead guitar. It's just a rehearsal recording...

Here's another. The pseudo-conterpoint in the beginning does get more interesting after a bit if it seems boring. The first (lame) guitar solo is mine, the second is Stephen the Great again.

I love that there’s a trumpet

I posted this in the studio section, but not many folks check those posts. So yeah, I'm posting it twice. Because I can!

I actually like this one.

I really like this. Really cool. I hear the synth melody (the one with the vibrato) as a human voice... Great piece, but so short! What was the intended use? It sounds very cinematic.

That’s the thing about being a musician and a songwriter, you’re forever a student.
And my fear is that my physical abilities will be what ends my pursuit, not a lack of drive. But I swear, if my hand continues to degrade, I'll Django it as long as I can!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen. You had opportunities to meet women at shows, and you didn't know what the f#ck to do with them.

Blame yourselves.

Shows were a wonderful ice-breaker! How easy was it to start a conversation with something as simple as, "Did you like our set?"

If you weren't engaging with your audience, that's on you. I thank music for the opportunity to have met some great friends and date some super-nice women.
My first stop after wiping down my guitar was to stop at the table with the scariest guys in the bar. Thanked them for being there, asked about the volume and asked if the service was good. Invariably, there were compliments, high fives, and drinks thrown our way. Next, the table with the “ladies’ night out” crowd. Flirt flirt flirt! Ask for their fav dirty dancing song and work it out during break. No intention on acting on any “responses” but it’s all about working the crowd. THAT is the job of the band…entertain If you’re playing or not.

Les knows his sh@t.

My first stop after wiping down my guitar was to stop at the table with the scariest guys in the bar. Thanked them for being there, asked about the volume and asked if the service was good. Invariably, there were compliments, high fives, and drinks thrown our way. Next, the table with the “ladies’ night out” crowd. Flirt flirt flirt! Ask for their fav dirty dancing song and work it out during break. No intention on acting on any “responses” but it’s all about working the crowd. THAT is the job of the band…entertain If you’re playing or not.

Les knows his sh@t.

Smooth.

Les knows his sh@t.
My next gig is outdoors with about 3,000 people. It's at church, but I'll trust you on this and give it a try.

Back