For Those Who Write Original Music...

Good stuff VCHizzle! FYI, on Soundcloud, for related tracks on the left when I was listening to "Black Reign", it showed three Meeghan Thee Stalion songs!! I personally see zero connection, but thought you might want to know who they are promoting side by side with you!!!
Thanks! Da Mutta Funka’s- fun stuff! Well done! Ha, yeah I saw that as well and thought WTF…oh well whatever. I’d feel slightly better if I played her stuff and saw a link to ours but we know that ain’t happenin’!:D

I played in band in my 20's - played dozens of shows over a few years - not once did any woman show interest in me at a show

Moreover, throughout my dating life ( I am now 50), not one woman ever asked me to pick up the guitar to hear me play nor took any interest in my songwriting -- however, if I dared to ever say I couldn't care less about what some "b***h" at her office wore to work, it would result in an argument
In my case, women always showed interest in my guitar playing once they found out that I played. Especially if I'd write a song about them and play it for them. Their reaction was always priceless. I guess things are different here in Europe.

Yessir! Keep up the good work!
Thank you, Les. I most definitely will. As an admirer of your work, that means a lot to me coming from you.

Shows were a wonderful ice-breaker! How easy was it to start a conversation with something as simple as, "Did you like our set?"
This sort of approach can be applied in so many different ways. In my case as a professional bartender the icebreaker was, "Did you enjoy those cocktails ?"

Good job, brother! Enjoyed that a lot
Thank you so very much, brother. Much appreciated !!!

Wow, Viper, that is some fine guitar right there. Dig your progressions. Great work.
Thank you for you kind words, man. I also really dig the dynamics in the progression, if I may say so myself. I'm glad it's coming across to the listener.

Last edited:
I’ve probably posted this before. Everything on there is with our former singer, who’s had throat cancer and can’t hardly speak at this point. We just played a benefit for him with our new singer to help with medical and just living costs. We have one new song recorded with our current singer and a couple more that I go in to record guitar tracks for next weekend. Will post some newer material when I’m able.

Over a decade old, mostly the same band with a different singer. Never released or even finished really. Have an album called Bitter Ugly Truth on all the digital outlets with horrid artwork that should’ve resembled AB lll by Alter Bridge far before that was released.

Really great material. I really enjoyed giving those songs a listen. So sorry to hear about your former singer.

Lately my best style is 'Orchestral Music'. Assuming that's a style at all...well, it's at least a palette...
That is an interesting observation, even if you were slightly jesting: writing scores, based on orchestral instruments, can result in any style of music, in a sense. But one suspects you are referring to the John Williams "style" of orchestral music. So yeah, I'd call that a style.

Listen to a pop tune, say, one by an artist you don't care about at all where everything seems formulaic and easy-peasy. Maybe it's someone like Katy Perry or Beyonce.

Then try to write an original in that style, record it, and put it together yourself. Use as many tricks, loops and autotunes as you like. Now compare yours to the actual hit. I've had to do stuff like this for ads. It was very, very difficult.
Interesting anecdote about one of my favorite artists (musically, at least): Steven Wilson. He's had Guthrie Govan and Marco Minnemann on his albums and in his solo touring band. xref: The Aristrocrats.

He is probably most famous for his Prog Rock sound of Porcupine Tree and his solo work, though some of his solo stuff has shown "themes of influences" on purpose - his first was inspired by 1980s new wave alt rock, his second a bit more jazz inspired, etc. And he has a bunch of side-projects for other sounds. One of his solo albums, To The Bone, has some pop-influenced elements (as well as prog rock, because as much as he wants to, he can't totally escape it).

One of the songs on that album is called "Permanating". It is a full up homage to Abba and other disco-pop sounds. And he said it was one of the most difficult songs to write.

From Innerviews with Anil Prasad:

Anil: Many musicians have said it’s much harder to write a concise, effective pop song than it is to create a lengthy epic. What’s your perspective?

SW: I can only echo that. It’s a cliché because it’s true. It’s so hard to write a good pop song. Some people have said to me “Why did it take you so long for your Abba pop fixations to emerge in your music?” For many years, I’ve been very clear I grew up in a house where the conceptual rock music of Pink Floyd was just as important as the pop of Abba, The Carpenters and The Bee Gees. I never saw any distinction between those artists until much later in life when I realized other people did. I’ve tried over the years to write convincing pop music, but it’s hard and it’s not something that comes as naturally to me as the more melancholic, conceptual side. I don’t know why that is. I would say “Permanating” is the first true piece of pure pop I’ve released. That’s a testament to how hard it is to pull something like that off.

Interesting anecdote about one of my favorite artists (musically, at least): Steven Wilson. He's had Guthrie Govan and Marco Minnemann on his albums and in his solo touring band. xref: The Aristrocrats.

He is probably most famous for his Prog Rock sound of Porcupine Tree and his solo work, though some of his solo stuff has shown "themes of influences" on purpose - his first was inspired by 1980s new wave alt rock, his second a bit more jazz inspired, etc. And he has a bunch of side-projects for other sounds. One of his solo albums, To The Bone, has some pop-influenced elements (as well as prog rock, because as much as he wants to, he can't totally escape it).

One of the songs on that album is called "Permanating". It is a full up homage to Abba and other disco-pop sounds. And he said it was one of the most difficult songs to write.

From Innerviews with Anil Prasad:

Anil: Many musicians have said it’s much harder to write a concise, effective pop song than it is to create a lengthy epic. What’s your perspective?

SW: I can only echo that. It’s a cliché because it’s true. It’s so hard to write a good pop song. Some people have said to me “Why did it take you so long for your Abba pop fixations to emerge in your music?” For many years, I’ve been very clear I grew up in a house where the conceptual rock music of Pink Floyd was just as important as the pop of Abba, The Carpenters and The Bee Gees. I never saw any distinction between those artists until much later in life when I realized other people did. I’ve tried over the years to write convincing pop music, but it’s hard and it’s not something that comes as naturally to me as the more melancholic, conceptual side. I don’t know why that is. I would say “Permanating” is the first true piece of pure pop I’ve released. That’s a testament to how hard it is to pull something like that off.
It really is hard! It has to be catchy, has to be dancy, have hooks and a good bridge and chorus, the performances have to. be tight, the groove has to fit, I mean, it's a real challenge.

I take my hat off to folks who can write like that.

I make no bones about the fact that when it comes to orchestral composition, I'm just getting started. I'd rather not kid myself.

However, I can be a little shy about having "real" orchestral composers hear my work. I figure they'll dismiss me as a dilettante. Nonetheless. I send stuff to friends in the composing world from time to time for criticism.

You can't grow if you think you're all that.

Today, I sent that 'Becalmed' composition I posted the other day (in the Studio section of the forum) to a trusted friend. an absolutely great composer who knows I want the truth, and I don't want smoke blown up my ass. So he gives me the straight-up, blunt truth.

Today - at long last - he said 'You've come a long way, this is really good."

As far as I'm concerned, that was good as hitting the lottery.

Well, OK, maybe not the lottery. But it sure felt great!

Last edited:
I make no bones about the fact that when it comes to orchestral composition, I'm just getting started. I'd rather not kid myself.

However, I can be a little shy about having "real" orchestral composers hear my work. I figure they'll dismiss me as a dilettante. Nonetheless. I send stuff to friends in the composing world from time to time for criticism.

You can't grow if you think you're all that.

Today, I sent that 'Becalmed' composition I posted the other day (in the Studio section of the forum) to a trusted friend. an absolutely great composer who knows I want the truth, and I don't want smoke blown up my ass. So he gives me the straight-up, blunt truth.

Today - at long last - he said 'You've come a long way, this is really good."

As far as I'm concerned, that was good as hitting the lottery.

Well, OK, maybe not the lottery. But it sure felt great!
That's awesome, Les!

So, out of interest, if you go back and listen to some of your earlier attempts, can you discern the differences that make the newer stuff "better", or it is a case of "they sound different, and I guess the newer stuff is more like xyz, but not hugely different"?

That's awesome, Les!

So, out of interest, if you go back and listen to some of your earlier attempts, can you discern the differences that make the newer stuff "better", or it is a case of "they sound different, and I guess the newer stuff is more like xyz, but not hugely different"?
Melodic writing has always been my strong suit. Seems to me that's mostly an intuitive thing; you can't teach someone how to create a compelling melody. Second, I'm told that I have developed a recognizable musical identity.

Those are two good things that have rescued some of the tunes in the past, and some of them turned out pretty well.

On the other hand, with a limited vocabulary of scales/chordal modes and orchestration, one can only do so much. Things can get dull pretty quickly if you can't figure out how to get from Alpha to Zed, and even the best melodies can't save the patient. It'd be like writing a book knowing only a few basic words and not grokking sentence structure. You wouldn't go very far as a writer.

With effort, I'm beginning to understand the vocabulary, can actually write a paragraph, and I kind of know how to begin the next paragraph (or at least have a handle on some things I can try in order to solve the puzzle).

I'm also learning some of the ways that orchestration can make a piece more interesting.

In that way the work has improved. There's still a very long road ahead. ;)

This was with my fusion band from before the COVID explosion. My tune, I'm on rhythm. It features the great (to me) Stephan Richards on lead guitar. It's just a rehearsal recording...

I totally love this. Great tune, great band. Nice sounding recording, terrific arrangement, too!

That's some seriously fine work! I dig your rhythm playing, and please let Stephan know how much I liked his solo. Clearly you know your stuff!

Back