Favorite band (and top 3 guitar player)

I didn't name the other two, but they are pretty obvious choices. I said top three because I am not sure I can rank them as they all play distinctly different styles.

IF I were to have a genie lamp, and could CHOOSE what I sounded like, I would be a perfect blend of Trey Anastasio, Carlos Santana and Stevie Ray Vaughn. But, of course, I am not sure that anyone would complain about sounding like that. . .lol

All of them have played a role in why I [try] to play guitar at all.

Yeah I’ve still got a yahoo address! Haha

I will send you something, not spam.
I have had my Yahoo email address since 1998! I call it my "slut" email because I am willing to give it to anyone! Well, almost anyone ;~)) First email address was through the University I was attending in 1993, and a webpage that I built then is still on their site even though I have requested it be removed.

I'm long past the stage of fav band but I would guess that could be Alice in Chains as I have literally everything from them on my Spotify playlist - both new stuff as well as old with Layne.

Random order.
1. Jerry Cantrell - a riff master with great sense of musicality while staying dark heavy. I stole more from this guy than I'm keen to confess
2. Mike Mccready - not only for Pearl Jam stuff but also what he did with TOTD and Mad Season, very under rated guitarist, way above drop D thing of the 90's
3. Joe Satriani for the 95 self titled album alone. Blues and jazz inspired. What he did with my mood with this album makes me feeling warm... even 25 years later. This album was also a massive tone inspiration for me - raw and airy, very natural in-room-alike tone, amazing pick attack dynamics.

I wish I would be a sum of these three

Last edited:
I do not have a favorite band at this point in my life. It is more a case of my favorite being based on the situation or the company in which I find myself. However, if I had to pick a favorite guitarist, it would be Richie Kotzen (I outgrew the heroes who inspired me to pick up the guitar in the mid-seventies a long time ago). I started listening to Ritchie in 2009 after being blown away by his NAMM performance. Up until that point, Richie was just one of the numerous shredders who appeared on Mike Varney's label "Shrapnel Records" in its heyday. To go from being a instrumentalist shredder on Shrapnel Records to fusing neoclassical fusion and blues-rock guitar with blue-eyed soul as a singer/songwriter was quite a metamorphosis. Like a lot of guitarists, Richie has given up a pick for his fingers. I believe he is one of the best unknown musicians in the music biz, at least here in the United States. Richie has a large following outside of the United States.

Bands? The Eagles, Beatles, Zeppelin, AC/DC, ZZ Top. Guitarists? Page, EVH, Townsend, Gilmour, and the ultimate artist: Jeff Beck. All my choices are based on song construction, taste, and production. There are of course, many other greats, but my list has influenced my style, tone and my approach to playing in the many bands and projects I’ve been fortunate enough to be a part of.

Every time this comes up...the same damned answers pop into my gourd...I guess that kinda says something...(I'm VERY Predictable...!!!)
Well, for sure, Definitely Rush...

But to change things up...(yeah right???!!!)
Greg Koch.
Oz Noy.
Barry Baily...(love old ARS)

Crap, almost made it...Alex Lifeson #$%^&#$%^&*$%^&*!!!

Every time this comes up...the same damned answers pop into my gourd...I guess that kinda says something...(I'm VERY Predictable...!!!)
Well, for sure, Definitely Rush...

But to change things up...(yeah right???!!!)
Greg Koch.
Oz Noy.
Barry Baily...(love old ARS)

Crap, almost made it...Alex Lifeson #$%^&#$%^&*$%^&*!!!

“Follow the Gourd!”

“No follow the shoe!!”

(or something about gathering shoes)

Last edited:
Rehashing and combining a few threads i OP'd back in 2018, but hey who's counting.:D

Favorite Band (Prog Rock): Marillion

Favorite Guitarists: Steve Rothery - Marillion
David Gilmour - Pink Floyd
Howard Leese - Heart/Bad Co

Nice to see the Trey love. Trey's songs are so much fun to play.

Favorite guitar players:

Trey
Bob Weir
Paul Simon
Bill Frisell
John Knowles C.G.P.

BTW I always wonder what Trey would say about PRS. To my knowledge he's never played one in public. He's always played Languedocs. I've seen him play a strat too but very rarely.

Last edited:
Back