List Some Of Your Favorite Bands

Some of the people in my favorite bands are still alive. Others, not so much. But we're going all-time faves here. So, in no particular order:

The Beatles
The Cure
Radiohead
Coldplay
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
U2
John Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme' lineup
Zep
Blind Faith
Traffic
Jethro Tull
David Bowie, various lineups
Miles Davis' *****'s Brew' lineup with Joe Zawinul, and 'Kind of Blue' lineup
The Band
Albert King, various lineups
The Allman Brothers
The Byrds
Cream
Daft Punk
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Early Rolling Stones
Steely Dan (I don't care who hates them)
The Who
Bob Dylan's various lineups
Neil Young and Crazy Horse
The Berlin Philharmonic
The Vienna Philharmonic
The San Francisco Symphony

I like too many to list, it's been pretty evident who my all-time favorite is, and I can probably encompass the rest under some generalizations. Primarily it's hard rock and heavy metal, 50's/early 60's, singers such as Dean Martin, Al Martino, Lou Monte, Neil Diamond, Pavarotti, Mario Lanza, Motown, and Blues.

I'll flip the script a bit and go with some more recognizable that I don't care for. This is not a knock on anyone's tastes, just some that came to mind that just aren't my cup of tea....

Bruce Springsteen
Simon & Garfunkel
Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young
Cat Stevens
The Beatles
Fleetwood Mac
The Grateful Dead
Most Anything 60's - the protest vibes, tye dye, etc....intimidated this then 7 to 10 year old.
Nirvana
Foo Fighters
Limp Bizkit
Modern country & western
Frank Sinatra
All Rap
All 'metal' where the singers sounds like they're throwing up for five minutes or bass drums that sound like rabbits mating.
Joni Mitchell
Joan Baez
Jackson Browne
James Taylor
Green Day
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Nine Inch Nails
Muse
U2
Opeth
The Doors

Guaranteed to change the station whenever they came on.

Again, sticking to the off-the-beaten-path favorites...

Kate Bush. Introduced to her by a co-worker in 1986, and I fell hard. Named my daughter after her. Huge in England, never got the notice she deserved in the states until Running Up That Hill became a sensation because of Stranger Things. She got help from David Gilmour early in her career - she wrote most of her first album before she was 16. Unbelievable talent, but she's only done one tour. In 2015, she announced a residency in London. I had a ticket in the cart, but ultimately couldn't convince myself to spend the money to go (it would have been about $2k for flights) because I was on the verge of ordering my PS. I love that guitar - but I regret not going to see her.

Jill Sobule. The original (and better) I Kissed A Girl girl. Saw that video on a music program on Playboy TV way back when. Picked up the album, and it was all over. She has the ability to cover all kinds of emotions. This one is my favorite song of hers - inspired by some pictures from the siege of Sarajevo. Two young lovers, from the opposing sides, had attempted to escape across the bridge, but were shot by snipers. The young woman crawled to her boyfriend and they died there together. This one always gives me chills.

But we'll leave her w/a little happier tune.

Someone I've mentioned here before - Hannah Wicklund. Saw her open for the Marshall Tucker Band when she was about 16. Became a huge fan almost instantly. Back then it was Hannah Wicklund and Steppin Stones (yes, no G - she said she thought it was a cool idea, but had no idea how much grief it would cause her), now she's listed as a solo artist.

Finally for tonight, Kacey Chambers. An Australian who sounds more country than most of what comes out of Nashville these days. I have absolutely no recollection of how I discovered her, but man, I'm glad I did. It's hard to get some of her music, but it's been worth it for me.

Back