The Greatest Rock Bands (For You) - Let's Talk!

16 posts and no Ozzy???:eek::eek::eek:

Ozzy Osbourne

And I know what the rules said, but not best rock bands list can leave off Black Sabbath!

(And Megadeth and Metallica in that order!)
Those posts would be great if we were talking metal bands but we are talking rock bands. ;)

The lines between Rock/Hard Rock/Metal are so thin.....I'm going back on some of my first vinyl purchases...(except for Volbeat)

KISS
AC/DC
Van Halen
Volbeat
Rush
Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush
Cheap Trick
Heart (early)
Ted Nugent
Styx

Well, I guess being older than most here has me listing these that not only changed music, but originated that rocked out blues sound that formerly was acoustic.

Beatles, Stones, Who, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Yardbirds all have to be here
Cream - highly amped electrified blues turns psychedelic
Jeff Beck - If you've never listened to the album "Truth" get it right away - British blues at it's best, with Rod Stewart on vocals, Ronnie Wood on bass
Humble Pie - Steve Marriott, Peter Frampton & the boys rocking' it all over
Jethro Tull - Anderson's maniacal flute and Barre's lyrical leads
Pink Floyd - they stretch the fabric of space & time with a sonic palette
U2 - if Stones are the best R&R band of all time, these guys gotta be #2
ZZ Top - Texas boogie blues supreme
AC/DC - Warning - - - High Voltage!!
REO Speedwagon - when Richrath rocked that Gibson hard, before their syrup pop era that came later
Tom Petty & the Heartbrakers- arguably America's best R&R band
Green Day - I know, maybe too punk for some, but American Idiot stayed in my CD turntable for over 5 months. Lots of great songs before & since
James Gang and all iterations of Joe Walsh - shouldn't even have to say anything here, it's just understood
Pat Benatar - Awesome as is, but toss in Neil Geraldo on guitar? Yeah, all day long
Stevie Ray Vaughn - damn that helicopter, man, a f#@king crying shame - a stellar bluesman finally making it big time and making $ at it

Okay, this should scratch the surface.
All of what @Tom Bradovich said and add The Allman Bros Band and Deep Purple

Not rock, but when I was a kid I loved the Four Tops. Still do.

A bit later on (while still being pretty young) these bands made me want to play music:

The Beatles
The Stones
The Beach Boys
The Ventures
Paul Revere and the Raiders
The Who
The Doors
Cream
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Led Zeppelin
James Gang

Looking back on it, the mentioned bands in that time frame totally captivated me and gave me the musical itch.
It all looked and sounded like freedom to me. Many other great rock bands came after these. I'm just sticking to within a certain time frame here.

Finally started playing bass in 1969 when I was 16. (Jeez, seems like ancient history now!)

Not rock, but when I was a kid I loved the Four Tops. Still do.

A bit later on (while still being pretty young) these bands made me want to play music:

The Beatles
The Stones
The Beach Boys
The Ventures
Paul Revere and the Raiders
The Who
The Doors
Cream
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Led Zeppelin
James Gang

Looking back on it, the mentioned bands in that time frame totally captivated me and gave me the musical itch.
It all looked and sounded like freedom to me. Many other great rock bands came after these. I'm just sticking to within a certain time frame here.

Finally started playing bass in 1969 when I was 16. (Jeez, seems like ancient history now!)
Good stuff!

So, for me...if I was younger Zeppelin would have topped my list, but then I found prog. Being a budding songwriter myself, any hopes of making popular music that coud make money and impress the ladies went down the toilet. Top ten in no order...

Yes
Rush
Santana
Steely Dan
Spirit
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Beatles
Mothers of Invention/Beefheart
Kansas
Zeppelin

Spirit in particular had huge effect in turning me onto prog. 12 Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus is probably the most important album to me. So much about they way I viewed music changed with that one album. I even got to have a long chat with Ed Cassidy (drummer for Spirit) before he passed away, and we got to talk about 12 dreams and a bunch of other stuff. What a gent.

Kansas has a special place for me. When I was younger, I knew them as the "Dust in the Wind" dudes, I had no clue about the wizardry of Kerry Livgren. "The Pinnacle" is their best work and it floored me when I first heard it.

Santana I love for the less popular stuff they did. The jazz fusion albums Carlos was doing in the mid 70's are brilliant and inspired.

Yes is pure f%$kin magic. Close to the Edge is probably the best rock ensemble based song even crafted, and you cannot change my mind.

Yes is pure f%$kin magic. Close to the Edge is probably the best rock ensemble based song even crafted, and you cannot change my mind.
Have you seen some of the reaction videos on YouTube for Close To the Edge? The look of amazement and awe on some of their faces is priceless. I thought some were going to start crying in sections of "And You and I."

I totally agree about Yes. It's like, what were they in touch with and how did they learn to grab it?

Back