Favorite band (and top 3 guitar player)

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
Now if I could only PLAY like Trey! lol

188074070_10165263018710331_542629380198410063_n.jpg

Last edited:
LOL......I was kind of pushing the shirt (that I just snagged off of ebay). That was one of those deals where the beginning of the conversation was in my head, and everyone else wasn't privy to it before I blurted out the second half of it o_O
Well, Trey is a bada$$, and that IS a cool shirt

The shirt may say Phish, but the hat says Gap Band. :p
The amount of money I have spent on shows over the years since I was late teens-early 20s is almost embarrassing. I wonder how many PRSi I could have bought with all that loot from tickets, hotels and travel expenses.

The amount of money I have spent on shows over the years since I was late teens-early 20s is almost embarrassing. I wonder how many PRSi I could have bought with all that loot from tickets, hotels and travel expenses.

Oh no - I have no embarrassment about that! (I have sore ears from the periodic beatings from my wife, though.) I was averaging about 40 shows a year pre-Covid, but music is my vice. Guitars, CDs, concerts - it's all good for my mental health. I've seen some amazing performances. I've met some wonderful people. And I've had a lot of great times. My buddy has been seeing a ton of shows for years, and before his health forced him into retirement, he said the guys he worked with at the mill would give him grief about it. "Hey man, aren't you getting a little old to be running to all this concerts? Think of how much money you're spending!" (He had a rule - if Bob Seger was within 400 miles, he was probably going.) My buddy said, "Think about how much you spend on beer and cigarettes. All you've got after that is a headache and a bunch of empty cans and butts. I've got memories for a lifetime." He figures he's been to around 1000 shows. I think I'm somewhere in the 500-600 range. Last month was 50 years since the first show I went to - Johnny Cash. July is 42 since the second show - Kiss. I've picked up the pace a bit.

Fave band would be a tough one... just too many great ones in my lifetime. Guitarists? Same thing. David, Stevie, Eddie, Eric, Carlos, Alex, Jimmy, Jimi, Phil, Chet... the list goes on and on.

When I was younger, so much younger than today, I never needed anybody’s help... to answer these questions. Now, I feel like I need all of them in rotation on the music box.

1. Frank Zappa is god and above all others in nearly every way! Composition, complexity, diversity, flawlessness, etc. I have felt this way since 1974 or so! Who else has both the balls and the fan base to release multiple albums made up simply of your guitar solos from live shows!
2. Prince is just that, Prince to the god (King) in #1 here. Once again composition, complexity, diversity, flawlessness, etc. Watch his solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (
) with a superstar cast on stage with him. IMO, one of the greatest guitar solos ever! The jaws of several of those superstars are hitting the floor as he rips that song into a thousand beautiful pieces of 6 string magic. And talk about a mic drop (guitar toss in this case which was a staple for him) at the end of that song! He also added the entertainer/showmanship that Frank did not really have. If he had lived longer, he may have eventually supplanted FZ in the #1 slot, but unlikely to happen with only vault releases from here on out.
3. Third would have to be a mix (each has their own value), Robert Fripp, Mick Ronson, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Jeff Beck, SRV, Steve Vai. I am sure I have missed a few and I am positive I have not heard a lot of the greats ;~))

Favorite band would be any band that Frank Zappa was a part of ;~))

Happy pickin'!
MW

Fave band? The Beatles, hands down. Every song is timeless.

Fave guitarist? I'll throw in Jimmy Page; I've come to appreciate his writing, playing and arrangements more and more lately. I'll admit that my opinion drifts hither and yon, and never stays in one place. I'll also admit that there are many other guitar players with more dazzling technical skills. But when it comes to laying down a perfect guitar solo, the one on Stairway to Heaven is certainly in that ballpark.

And yeah, I realize, it's 'Stairway'. But it was a wonderful song before it was a punch line at guitar stores.

To the OP, I do love me some Phish!! Been on a Phish kick lately, with Rift still slightly ahead as my favorite album (and song!) of theirs, though Joy is a very close second. I also always end up listening to Trey's solo album "Shine" quite a bit when I'm on a Phish kick.

When pressed, I always end up naming the Black Crowes as my favorite band.

Players, for me:
Marc Ford
Trey Anastasio
Dickie Betts.

Those are my 3 faves today, but on any other day it'd possibly be Joe Walsh, Rich Robinson, Warren Haynes, Alex Lifeson....

Great photo as always KB.

Always love a photo of Dottie.

Too many great guitarists to name!

Ooh an email address on the ticket schedule, what to send KB?;)

Ooh an email address on the ticket schedule, what to send KB?
Man, that email address is so public it is ridiculous. It is linked to so much of my stuff as I need the public to be able to contact me for work. :D

AND, it [that email address] has existed since the mid 1990s. It was back when hotmail only required 4 characters to create a password....lmao! Almost more of a PIN number than a pass word. ;)

Back