Do you guys gig your $$$$$ PRSi?

I regularly take my MEV and Special Semi-Hollow to gigs. I play better on them. Just make sure you don't wear a belt buckle or a shirt with buttons that are harder than the finish. The only guitar I haven't taken to a gig is my Private Stock. But I play it at band practice all the time.

that's gorgeous! get the proper insurance for gigging (homeowner's does NOT cover gigging).
I second this. I have everything insured through Music Pro Insurance. Its $100 deductible, and makes it easier not to worry about you gear. I have had to make a claim and they were great, they paid for a complete brand new replacement for an amp that got rained on at a gig.

I regularly take my MEV and Special Semi-Hollow to gigs. I play better on them. Just make sure you don't wear a belt buckle or a shirt with buttons that are harder than the finish. The only guitar I haven't taken to a gig is my Private Stock. But I play it at band practice all the time.
Good thing to remember!

I second this. I have everything insured through Music Pro Insurance. Its $100 deductible, and makes it easier not to worry about you gear. I have had to make a claim and they were great, they paid for a complete brand new replacement for an amp that got rained on at a gig.
How much ($$) gear do you have insured, and what is the monthly premium, if you don't mind my asking? I have never carried music gear insurance, but since I started gigging again a couple years ago, and if I'm going to start gigging with expensive equipment, it's worth looking into.

How much ($$) gear do you have insured, and what is the monthly premium, if you don't mind my asking? I have never carried music gear insurance, but since I started gigging again a couple years ago, and if I'm going to start gigging with expensive equipment, it's worth looking into.
I have $140k covered (full replacement) and its around $1800 per year. So I guess around $150 per month if they did monthly payments.

The audience will never miss your DGT, especially if they don’t know you have it.
Of course, you do have it individually insured right?
( In case of fire or theft or drunken destruction).

I would have to say the question of gigging a high dollar guitar is one of personal tastes and preferences. Many gigging players use very high dollar guitars with no issues. On the other end of the spectrum I have dinged guitars in my bedroom and putting them in and getting them out of the case. I am kind of a "guitars were made for playing guy" but not everyone is. Some guys are "buy a perfect looking guitar and keep it behind glass". I see nothing wrong with that--after all if we did not have those guys, the future (my kids and Grand kids) would have no very good-mint Vintage guitars to buy! My personal thought is that they are not fragile and built to last 200+ years--and life is short. Play it, enjoy it, and rock on! On the other hand if playing a $5k guitar on stage makes you nervous and prevents you from enjoying the night--then leave it at home.

I get the feeling, definitely heartbreaking when you get that first ding. You get over it quickly though and learn to appreciate the battle scars.

I agree with this- on "normal" guitars. Teles, Strats, etc.... but these PRSi are bloody works of art! The price is only part of it... I don't care if I ding my Honda, but I would HATE to ding my Porsche (if I had one LOL). I feel like some guitars aren't MEANT to relic (even naturally over time)?

If my tele gets (another) ding, cool. If my strat gets one, oh shoot, oh well. If the DGT got one, it would be "damn, so do I send it back to PRS for repair, losing it for 3 months???). Or do I "save up" the dings LOL and send it back when there are a few??? 1st world problems.

Last edited:
My husband won’t let me. He thinks because my stature is so diminutive he thinks ppl will kick the sh1t out of me and steal my guitar. It could happen but I some how doubt it.

I am not allowed to even bring it to practice! Where are current studio is is not the nicest neighborhood.

I need to get something that legal to protect myself when I am in some of the seeder parts of downtown playing or rehearsing. Can’t use any type of defence sprays in Canada. A knife? Ideas? I am very aware of my surroundings but you just never know.

My husband won’t let me. He thinks because my stature is so diminutive he thinks ppl will kick the sh1t out of me and steal my guitar. It could happen but I some how doubt it.

I am not allowed to even bring it to practice! Where are current studio is is not the nicest neighborhood.

I need to get something that legal to protect myself when I am in some of the seeder parts of downtown playing or rehearsing. Can’t use any type of defence sprays in Canada. A knife? Ideas? I am very aware of my surroundings but you just never know.
If you can't use a defense spray, there's no way a knife is legal. You're dead in the water, unfortunately (no pun intended). Barring martial arts or some form of self-defense training.

Now see, if you had a real tele, you could just beat them over the head with it. And it'll still be in tune. ;)

If you can't use a defense spray, there's no way a knife is legal. You're dead in the water, unfortunately (no pun intended). Barring martial arts or some form of self-defense training.

Now see, if you had a real tele, you could just beat them over the head with it. And it'll still be in tune. ;)
In Canada there is no law banning the carrying in public knives with sheaths, knives that take both hands to open and any knife with a fixed blade and certain non-prohibited folding knives, assuming they are not carried for a purpose dangerous to public peace or for the purpose of committing a criminal offense.

My husband collects knives. He has some gorgeous artsy pieces. He has a plain pocket knife in a sheath. That’s what I will be carrying from now on.

Insure it, then take it where you want, when you want.

Insure it, then take it where you want, when you want.
Never even gave that a thought. I should have all 4 guitars insured. The only guitar that travels with me is my Parker as I have been fearful of taking my other guitars downtown with me.

I saw on YouTube some guy busking on the side walk in some city and while he was entertaining the crowd some a-hole grabbed his can of donations and ran off with them. I’m sure the guy got caught because of his appearance on YT.

In Canada there is no law banning the carrying in public knives with sheaths, knives that take both hands to open and any knife with a fixed blade and certain non-prohibited folding knives, assuming they are not carried for a purpose dangerous to public peace or for the purpose of committing a criminal offense.

My husband collects knives. He has some gorgeous artsy pieces. He has a plain pocket knife in a sheath. That’s what I will be carrying from now on.
Wow, I'm shocked. That's fantastic! I wonder what the "fine print" is tho? Here in New Jersey, you can carry one. You can clean your fingernails with it, whittle, even carve your name in a tree... But if you admit to carrying it for self-defense, you're going to have a problem.

At a Glance:​

New Jersey law prohibits the possession “without any explainable lawful purpose” of any “gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, dangerous knife or ballistic knife.” Possession of a weapon in one’s home is arguably a “lawful purpose.” Pocketknives may be carried outside the home, except by one having unlawful intent, or who possesses the knife for some unlawful purpose. Self-defense beyond the limits of one’s home is not a lawful purpose.

Isn't that insane???

Back