Do you guys gig your $$$$$ PRSi?

I live in NJ. I always carry a pretty good size foldable knife whenever I'm on my Harley. Never had a problem, but it's not for self defense, it's a tool in case I break down. LOL.
You should see the one I keep in my truck.
well.. truck is bigger = knife needs to be bigger. AmIright?

My concern is always "bringing a knife to a gun fight"... because if someone is going to rob you, they don't care about laws... which is why those laws do not work. Just ask Chicago LOL.

I agree with this- on "normal" guitars. Teles, Strats, etc.... but these PRSi are bloody works of art! The price is only part of it... I don't care if I ding my Honda, but I would HATE to ding my Porsche (if I had one LOL). I feel like some guitars aren't MEANT to relic (even naturally over time)?

If my tele gets (another) ding, cool. If my strat gets one, oh shoot, oh well. If the DGT got one, it would be "damn, so do I send it back to PRS for repair, losing it for 3 months???). Or do I "save up" the dings LOL and send it back when there are a few??? 1st world problems.
Totally get it.

I don’t gig my core 594.

That’s why I have an S2 :p

I agree with this- on "normal" guitars. Teles, Strats, etc.... but these PRSi are bloody works of art! The price is only part of it... I don't care if I ding my Honda, but I would HATE to ding my Porsche (if I had one LOL). I feel like some guitars aren't MEANT to relic (even naturally over time)?

If my tele gets (another) ding, cool. If my strat gets one, oh shoot, oh well. If the DGT got one, it would be "damn, so do I send it back to PRS for repair, losing it for 3 months???). Or do I "save up" the dings LOL and send it back when there are a few??? 1st world problems.
Got a couple dings in my DGT.

I was super mad at the first one.

I'll go back to the adage "the good ones got played"

If I get a ding or a scratch when playing, then fine.

Got a couple dings in my DGT.

I was super mad at the first one.

I'll go back to the adage "the good ones got played"

If I get a ding or a scratch when playing, then fine.
FYI, my angry reaction to your post is that the dings happened! First gig too!! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope (and this is the critical part) that it was all it could be on stage for you!! Sorry about the dings, but congrats on being in the "been there done that" club!!!

FYI, my angry reaction to your post is that the dings happened! First gig too!! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope (and this is the critical part) that it was all it could be on stage for you!! Sorry about the dings, but congrats on being in the "been there done that" club!!!
I try as best I can to look after my guitars.

But, you cant protect them from everything. Just how it is.

Same with kids too. I think a generation of parents forgot that entirely.

Never even gave that a thought. I should have all 4 guitars insured. The only guitar that travels with me is my Parker as I have been fearful of taking my other guitars downtown with me.

I saw on YouTube some guy busking on the side walk in some city and while he was entertaining the crowd some a-hole grabbed his can of donations and ran off with them. I’m sure the guy got caught because of his appearance on YT.
Here I am, thinking everybody in Canada was nice, asking you if you are OK and apologizing for everything. Courtesy of 'how I met your mother'.

Anyway; ideas about self defense and extended means to do so are very location dependent. In Europe, for example, if I run into a burglar in my house and a fight/struggle ensues and I accidentally kill the burglar: I will be prosecuted for man slaughter. Especially if a weapon of sorts is used in that act of self defense.

Do I think that is crazy? No. There is no excuse for breaking and entering, however there is even less excuse to kill someone. In my book. Earthly stuff is earthly stuff. I have insurance.

Last edited:
Well, gig went great. When it was over, I noticed the telltale scratches (not really scratches... just... marks?) on the top from getting a little too enthusiastic LOL. Pick marks. I wonder if those would polish/wax/buff out? Not a big deal, I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that guitars, no matter how pretty and expensive they are, are meant to be played.

I have a very similar DGT to yours I bought last fall. (Most $$ I’ve ever spent on a guitar)…..and well worth it……I was in the same mindset, but I’ve used it a number of times playing out since with no issues. I did buy a new Santana SE for outdoor rain gigs and real sketchy bars though. No way I’m bringing the WL DGT for playin in the rain ….

Well, gig went great. When it was over, I noticed the telltale scratches (not really scratches... just... marks?) on the top from getting a little too enthusiastic LOL. Pick marks. I wonder if those would polish/wax/buff out? Not a big deal, I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that guitars, no matter how pretty and expensive they are, are meant to be played.
Every time you change strings, slap a coat of Meguiar’s cleaner/car wax on that puppy. It really helps with pick scratches.

Every time you change strings, slap a coat of Meguiar’s cleaner/car wax on that puppy. It really helps with pick scratches.
Great! I use Virtuoso, only because I know it's "safe" on everything, but I have used Meguiar's on my poly guitars for years. I just never know with all these new finishes PRS keeps coming up with.

All my guitars get Played/Gigged or else why have them? I take care of my stuff though so I don't worry about dings. So far, my luck has been good over the years without much damage to any of my gear.

So exactly what finish is in my PRS s2?
If it’s 2021, or later, Nitro/CAB. If it is from 2019, or earlier, it is poly. If it is a 2020, it’s a toss up. They switched during 2020, but it wasn’t a hard date. It was by model and started on the Core line. Once all of the Core models were converted they started on the S2 line.

Yes it is a 2021. So it is Nitro cellulose. Can I wipe it off with a cotton cloth and water? My husband has so many car polished outside but the can are well work and I can’t read what’s in them.

Yes it is a 2021. So it is Nitro cellulose. Can I wipe it off with a cotton cloth and water? My husband has so many car polished outside but the can are well work and I can’t read what’s in them.
Dry micro fiber is what I use. Not sure I’ve ever used water on a guitar in the past. At least not that I can remember. Furniture polish, like Pledge, I have used.

My 95 SG is also Nitro cellulose. It’s got a bit of buckle rash on the backside but I love this guitar dearly. I have to go my local music store this week. Is there a cleaner I can pick up specifically for Nitro cellulose finishes?

Back