Do you guys gig your $$$$$ PRSi?

ruger9

I'm loving my new DGT, everything I hoped it would be (it has been a bucket-list item for me for awhile now). It's PERFECT for my cover band, with the humbuckers AND Coil taps... but it was so expensive, and it's so gorgeous, I'm getting a little apprehensive about bringing it to a gig in a couple of weeks... I know it's likely going to get dinged at some point, but I feel like maybe I'm asking for trouble taking it to a bar gig?

Or, should I just take it and PLAY the thing... that's what it's FOR, after all. My gut says take it, my brain says "maybe the 'special' one should stay home"...

Or, should I just take it and PLAY the thing... that's what it's FOR, after all.

It’s “for” whatever YOU want it for. I mean, it's yours, right?

In regards to your topic, I’ll gig PSs, but there are exceptions. I’m not taking my dragons to a bar, nor my double neck (because it’s not really practical).

I’ve gigged my wood library custom 24 before but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous the whole time. I get both sides of the argument but I prefer to just bring my reclaimed CE24 now. I figured there’s nothing a gig can do to it that the weather didn’t already do and any wear just adds to its looks anyways. I find I’m more relaxed and actually play better because I’m not worried about scratching it or anything.

I'm loving my new DGT, everything I hoped it would be (it has been a bucket-list item for me for awhile now). It's PERFECT for my cover band, with the humbuckers AND Coil taps... but it was so expensive, and it's so gorgeous, I'm getting a little apprehensive about bringing it to a gig in a couple of weeks... I know it's likely going to get dinged at some point, but I feel like maybe I'm asking for trouble taking it to a bar gig?

Or, should I just take it and PLAY the thing... that's what it's FOR, after all. My gut says take it, my brain says "maybe the 'special' one should stay home"...

Not only should you gig with it, you should get it to the gig and back in a high-end gig bag. (imho, ymmv) Just don't leave it laying unattended anywhere.

Wait, are y'all saying guitars aren't ceremonial objects to be kept in the Holy of Holies and adored, if not worshipped?

:eek:

On a serious note, I play my PS models at sessions just like any other guitar.

"Except for the part where you inspect them afterward to see if they got the tiniest little fingerprint, nick or ding."

"I...um...well, I don't worry about the fingerprints, anyway." ;)

Have you talked to your guitar about this upcoming gig? I mean, it is really it's life/beauty that is at stake, is it not?? I offer a guitar counseling service and may be able to convince your DGT to accept such an engagement! Unfortunately, this would need to be done in person!! If you would like to take advantage of said service, please ship guitar to me (including whichever amp you may be using or thinking of using) and I will initiate the reclamation of it's innate sense to play!! I can also do in house visits, but that is usually a bit more expensive as I only fly Private Class and will need 13 star accommodations at the location I need to travel to!!! Happy to help!!!!

I acquired my 2009 Smokeburst McCarty (Paul's Finish) used in 2011 or so for nearly full price; I can't recall if it was off someone here or TGP. Some limited run, I think. Lovely guitar.

It had been seriously gigged. Chips and dents. Small chunk missing off the headstock.

It sounded like smoke and neon; dim lights, dubious drinks, and loud, loud music. A decade later, I couldn't be happier with it.

=K

I've just never paid this much money for a piece of gear before. The closest is my Swart AST (2500) and my Hot Cat (2250). Neither of which are going to the gig either, LOL. I have a couple other amps for getting beat-up. I DO have other guitars that will work just fine, especially my HSS strat with a coil tap on the bridge humbucker.

Pic? here you go... brand new, made in 2022:

67242237335-A8-AE206-F-015-D-404-C-8-C0-E-8-C2-EE5-DD795-D.jpg

Back