David Grissom New One Off Custom 30 watt Combo

WeFixFlats

Respect The Clave
David Grissom New One Off DG 30 watt Combo

To our surprise he wasn't playing thru the DG Head/Cabinet combo tonight at the Saxon Pub. Instead he used this:

DSCN1948_1780_zps6xhwju9k.jpg
DSCN1948_1780_zps6xhwju9k.jpg

He told me it's still his 30 watt amp chassis (with the master dime'd of course) but in a combo format with the back panel almost closed. Sorry did not get the maker of the speaker, but it's not a V30 just too loud in the club to hear what he said...How did it sound? Still all the DG amp tone, but not the bottom end you'd expect when you just have a single 12".

In the foreground is a Hamer Monaco Sub Tone(Baritone) tuned C to C. Doesn't look like the stock pickups however. He used it on a couple of tunes, sounded fantastic.

By the way, for you DGT players, Grissom uses the bridge pickup, and nothing but the bridge all night long playing live.

Last edited:
Welp, now I have to try my DG30 with my PRS 1x12 cab.

I wondered what that would sound like, but I've been too preoccupied with my other weird-ass sonic experiments to actually, you know, try something that simple. :rolleyes:

The amount of bass response I get in my 1x12 can rival my 2x12. It may not come across that way to the audience, but within 15' it's impressive. It would be very interesting to identify that speaker...

my other weird-ass sonic experiments...

I Have that problem in the morning, too.

Last edited:
That's an interesting microphone for live use. It's not your standard SM57 dynamic mic! Anyone know what that is?

That's an interesting microphone for live use. It's not your standard SM57 dynamic mic! Anyone know what that is?

I think the last time I tried to ask the house sound engineer, he was so busy and distracted that he didn't have the time to tell me. And David basically said, when I asked him, "it's just what they've always used". All I can say it that it took all the amp was putting out, loud and clear.

Bottom line, the house sound in the Saxon Pub is really, really good, just loud enough, but not overwhelming; they got it down pat after all these years. The entire band sounded fantastic, including the drums~!

The brand of speaker is: 'AIREY'.

He told me that some guys that used to work for Celestion are the makers. It appears to be, for now, a 'private brand'. A search gets no results for me.

Ha! The mystery is how they made such a great amp!

My DG30 has become my #1, I use it even more than I use my HXDA, and that's saying something. I love it.

I still love the HXDA, but I can do so many things with the DG.

Ha! The mystery is how they made such a great amp!

My DG30 has become my #1, I use it even more than I use my HXDA, and that's saying something. I love it.

I still love the HXDA, but I can do so many things with the DG.

Sorry to derail the thread, but speaking of these high end sig amps, I'm looking forward to the new John Mayer amp. JM seems to be the same type of demanding and discerning musician that Grissom is, and I predict it to be another gem of an amp. Whether I'll be able to afford one if they're available - that remains to be seen. But I'm sure I'll want one.

Sorry to derail the thread, but speaking of these high end sig amps, I'm looking forward to the new John Mayer amp. JM seems to be the same type of demanding and discerning musician that Grissom is, and I predict it to be another gem of an amp. Whether I'll be able to afford one if they're available - that remains to be seen. But I'm sure I'll want one.

Should be an interesting amp, if Mayer's history with Dumbles and Two-Rocks is any indication.

Then again, he's made a major guitar switcheroo, so maybe he's planning to go in a different direction with his PRS amp. I'm sure I'll be interested. But I still want to get a DG50 to add to the ol' amp arsenal.

The Archon interests me, but I doubt I'd use the high gain more than once a year or so, given the kind of tracks I record. So the more medium-gain amps seem to be more my speed.

Then again, he's made a major guitar switcheroo, so maybe he's planning to go in a different direction with his PRS amp. I'm sure I'll be interested. But I still want to get a DG50 to add to the ol' amp arsenal.
Yeah man I think that takes some balls.
I can only imagine how difficult it can be to go to a new guitar and amp that are completely different from what you used to. And be expected to preform at your best, I bet there's a bit of a learning curve.
I know he's good and he'll adapt ..
It would be cool to see the amp they come up with.

By the way, for you DGT players, Grissom uses the bridge pickup, and nothing but the bridge all night long playing live.

Man, damn that guy!!! LOL I read this thread (I googled for info on the DG30), then saw this, then listened to some Grissom.... heard "Belly of the Beast", and said AHA!!! That's the NECK pickup!!! Googled it live at the Saxon, and..... DAMMIT, DAVID!!!! HOW DOES HE DO THAT?!?!?!?!?

Man, damn that guy!!! LOL I read this thread (I googled for info on the DG30), then saw this, then listened to some Grissom.... heard "Belly of the Beast", and said AHA!!! That's the NECK pickup!!! Googled it live at the Saxon, and..... DAMMIT, DAVID!!!! HOW DOES HE DO THAT?!?!?!?!?
Are you ok? Are you in distress? Do you need help?

Back