DG-50 and HX/DA. Should I get both ?

They would keep the DG50 over the HXDA because it can get squishy like a Fender and the HXDA "won't do that thing."

I respectfully disagree, but of course, I have tin ears. You be the judge. Yes I know, it's Tim Pierce and he could make linguini tied to a cinder block sound heavenly. But the amp:

They would keep the DG50 over the HXDA because it can get squishy like a Fender and the HXDA "won't do that thing."

I respectfully disagree, but of course, I have tin ears. You be the judge. Yes I know, it's Tim Pierce and he could make linguini tied to a cinder block sound 0t,1vheavenly. But the amp:

Tim Pierce is certainly an animal and those HXDA are fine amps. I have my eyes on one right now second hand. What I did mean is the the DG50 can get fender squish per an owner on here who said they would keep the DG50 over the HXDA if they could only use one amp. Who would want want amp anyways?

I have come to terms that the DG30 is the way to go first.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I just got a great deal on a used DG50!

Just kidding It (sadly) wasn’t me. The DG30 is a really interesting amp, and one I hope to try at some point. I’ll be curious to hear your review of it once you get one.

:cool: LOL. I am waiting for someone to start posting about there used DG50... obsessed much...

It's all good, I had a nice laugh. Thank You Rick P!

I agree the DG30 definitely sounds like an interesting amp . It is quite funny to me anyhow that I do not see this amp circulating at all on any of the influence-rs on youtube you know the Paul David's or Rhett Shull's of the world, I guess David Grissiom or PRS didn't want to pay out, or maybe it is not on anyone's radar. I like the idea that this amp does is it's own thing yet can become familiar that is very versatile and can be pushed into the Tweed, Brownface, Black Face, Marshall sounds just by making changes to the back of the amp. So I will be covered through a gambit of different sounds, now that intrigues and excites.

Well I went and gone done did it. One came up second hand for a great price. It is a 2013 new old stock model bought in 2020. Studio kept and the gent did not want to sell, but did in order to make room for a 57 Les Paul Jr he has access to purchasing.

I will let you know my thoughts and also make some clips or even some videos of it. Maybe there will now be 5 videos on youtube instead of the only 4 in existance once I am finished. :D

:cool: LOL. I am waiting for someone to start posting about there used DG50... obsessed much...

It's all good, I had a nice laugh. Thank You Rick P!

I agree the DG30 definitely sounds like an interesting amp . It is quite funny to me anyhow that I do not see this amp circulating at all on any of the influence-rs on youtube you know the Paul David's or Rhett Shull's of the world, I guess David Grissiom or PRS didn't want to pay out, or maybe it is not on anyone's radar. I like the idea that this amp does is it's own thing yet can become familiar that is very versatile and can be pushed into the Tweed, Brownface, Black Face, Marshall sounds just by making changes to the back of the amp. So I will be covered through a gambit of different sounds, now that intrigues and excites.

Well I went and gone done did it. One came up second hand for a great price. It is a 2013 new old stock model bought in 2020. Studio kept and the gent did not want to sell, but did in order to make room for a 57 Les Paul Jr he has access to purchasing.

I will let you know my thoughts and also make some clips or even some videos of it. Maybe there will now be 5 videos on youtube instead of the only 4 in existance once I am finished. :D
Nice!

Nice HX/DA RickP! Yes very helpful! I am already looking at those NOS Null tubes Les was mentioning haha. Going to have to check which tubes I have currently.

I won't be able to hear how it sounds until I get my DG custom 2X12 cab with V30's, I will have to wait until Tuesday.

If you’re able to, record an A/B of tubes in it at the moment (assuming they’re not Mullard/Siemens already).

I’m putting a different set of pickups in my SE245 and I’m planning on doing the same, courtesy of a friend who has a digital recording set up. This was his suggestion as he is currently doing a pickup/wiring swap on a bass he owns.

Really nice amp, congratulations.

If you’re able to, record an A/B of tubes in it at the moment (assuming they’re not Mullard/Siemens already).

I’m putting a different set of pickups in my SE245 and I’m planning on doing the same, courtesy of a friend who has a digital recording set up. This was his suggestion as he is currently doing a pickup/wiring swap on a bass he owns.

Really nice amp, congratulations.
@Alnus Rubra you are right I will slow down haha. Just super jazzed at the moment.

Definitely worth it to A/B to provide some sort of comparison. I will give it a go on Reaper as I have it loaded on a laptop for recording.

Thank You! Can not wait to get it turned on.

Last edited:
I have to say, the DG30 is one of the better looking amps out there. I know that doesn’t make it sound better, but it counts for good vibes with me. Kind of like my California Tweed… seems to sound good even when it’s just sitting there, off.

Back