Archon 50 MKII - does it go well with 1960BV cab?

nofarewell

Hi All,

I have a Marshall1960BV cab from the nineties with a really ripe, warm sound. BV, means straight and with the original Marshall Vintage speakers (not the new ones, the cab was made in 1997 as far as I'm concerned.) I am planning to buy the Archon 50 mkII, but I cannot try the amp. Do you know if it goes well with this cab?
Cheers

What Tones Are You After? I Would Say In Most Instances You Would Be Perfectly Fine.

What Tones Are You After? I Would Say In Most Instances You Would Be Perfectly Fine.
I am after several :) nice cleans with great headroom, also thick, modern high gain. I guess the amp is great as a pedal platform also, that is interesting as well of course.

I generally prefer V30s only when mixed with another speaker. ALL V30s is not my preferred speaker mix. Too spikey for me. I like a V30/H mix or a V30/high powered Greenback type mix over all V30s.

Of the cabs I have, my Archon sounds the best with the ZBest with V30/Warehouse ET65 mix.
You might be right. I don't plan to include other speakers as of yet, but I don't push tje idea away either, it is an interesting one. The classic Marshall V30s though are also different than the Mesa V30s for example. They are darker sounding imho, with more emphasis to the lower mids as opposed to the Mesa's more upper mids presentation.

You might be right. I don't plan to include other speakers as of yet, but I don't push tje idea away either, it is an interesting one. The classic Marshall V30s though are also different than the Mesa V30s for example. They are darker sounding imho, with more emphasis to the lower mids as opposed to the Mesa's more upper mids presentation.
I have Mesa's (in my 2x12 vertical recto cab) PRS version (2x12 closed back pine cab) and MIC in a 1x12. I have owned MIE as well. IN all cases, in 2x12s and when using 2 1x12s, I ALWAYS prefer mixing another speaker with V30s. All versions of V30 by themselves, IMO, are too spikey for me.

My Eminence Governor sounds GREAT with the Archon all by itself. The Gov is their version of the V30 and has reduced the 3.5K or so spike but 3dB or so. It sounds great with the Archon, ATMA and was my favorite 1x cab with all the Mesa Marks and Recto's I had as well.

20 years ago, my guy at GC said that in his opinion, the speaker/cab was at least 50% of your final tone, and in his opinion was even more important than the amp you used, in getting a sound you love. It took me about 10 years of buying, trying and swapping speakers to decide that I completely agree with that. The one cab I have that has the best combination of speakers, sounds better with every amp I've played it with than any other cab I've owned. And even with 1x cabs, if you find the speaker you like best, that cab will sound better with most of your amps for MOST things. There are exceptions, such has the alnico speaker sounding better with EVERY single amp I've tried it with, for clean tones. Just fat and chewy clean tones and it made every single amps clean channel better. But it's not "great" at high gain. Although... when mixed with something that is, it also sounds incredible in a 2x setup.

Back