Archon 50 MK2 - Volume and versatility?

Yellow_Tiger

Hi all,

Hope you’re all well.

I’m Jamie and I’ve recently just joined this fine forum.

After trying my first Core guitar some 5 weeks ago and being blown away with it, I very quickly sold off my Gibson’s and Fenders and bought a new Core Paul’s Guitar and Core Tremonti. Safe to say I saw the light and I’ve become quite a fan of PRS stuff, which brings me to this post -

Has anyone here had much experience with the updated Archon 50?

Namely, I wanted to know how good the master volume is and how it performs at sensible home/bedroom volumes. I’ve found lots of posts that say how good the O.G USA one is, but not much about the new one.

It would be used out and about, but I want something which will work well enough at home without bringing the walls down - or even worse - bringing my wife upstairs to complain about it.

My other question - how versatile is it? Can it do a decent enough classic rock tone as well as the more typical heavy stuff? I’m not expecting to be a Plexi, but passable tones are fine.

Thanks in advance :)

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I may not have the info you need, but that won't stop me from replying, and, you may notice this as theme moving forward. :D

I do have a 50 watt Archon but it's the original MIA version. Some say the new model is voiced better than the original. Some here disagree and say the original sounds better "everything at noon." I'll proceed with the idea that they are probably close. Given that...

I'm fine with the master on the original, and the taper is supposedly better on the Mk II, so you should be OK there.

To your second point: Wives can be replaced if they complain too much. Ok, just kidding on that one. But I think that as long as you're familiar with what all you lose tonally when you turn WAY down, you'll be happy with it because even at "wife sleeping two rooms away" volume, it works fine.

I think it is "very" versatile, but not incredibly so. The clean channel really stays clean, so there is not really a "crank the gain on the clean channel and you get a crunch channel" thing going on with it. And, you can use the OD with the gain really low. I've talked much here about going a whole week with the OD channel gain between 7:30 and 9:00. It is not "quite" as open there as a lower gain amp, but it's in the ballpark. Drop a Barber Compact Direct Drive (my current fave for this) in the clean channel and dial it for anything from mild to hard rock M style breakup. So if you want something "less" than OD channel offers, it's easy to get with a pedal.

And then there's the OD channel. Let me just say this about the OD channel. After almost a month of playing nothing but my HDRX20 (because I just got it and am still in the experimenting phase) I turned on the Archon instead last night and within seconds of hitting that OD channel, was wondering why in the world I bought another amp. THAT is THE SOUND! IF the new version is really like that, JUST GET IT!

Last edited:
I think you’d be in very good shape based your description of what you’re looking for. Only caution is give is that the gain channel has a darker voicing, or perhaps fuller in the low mids, and I’m not a huge fan of the stock V-Type speaker that comes in the combos and cabs with that amp, because it accentuates that.

Thanks @DreamTheaterRules @andy474x - I appreciate the insight and quick response.

Andy - on that point about the speakers. I was looking at the head and cab. Do you think a Tremonti cab with the V30 would be a better fit than the Archon one with the V-Type?

Thanks again :)

I don't like 2 V30s or "only" V30s. Too spikey for me. My best sounding cab with the Archon is a Zbest with one V30 and one Warehouse ET65. My best 1x12 with it has an Eminence Governor, which is their version of a V30 but with less spike. But I find if V30s are the only speaker, it's too spikey. One V30 and one higher powered greenback type works great though.

Thanks @DreamTheaterRules @andy474x - I appreciate the insight and quick response.

Andy - on that point about the speakers. I was looking at the head and cab. Do you think a Tremonti cab with the V30 would be a better fit than the Archon one with the V-Type?

Thanks again :)

I think it’d be a step in the right direction. The V-Type and V30 are very similar, but the V30 has a little less fatness and is more focused - don’t get me wrong, there are applications where I love the V-Type, just not with the Archon (and I generally don’t like it in closed back cabs).

Like brother @DreamTheaterRules said, the best thing is a combination of a V30 with a high powered Greenback, if you can swing a 2x12. I have a V30 and H Creamback in my HDRX cab right now, and it’s a great combo, and the V30/ET65 is probably just as good. The greenback type opens up the tone and gives representation to the frequencies the V30 misses.

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I may not have the info you need, but that won't stop me from replying, and, you may notice this as theme moving forward. :D

I do have a 50 watt Archon but it's the original MIA version. Some say the new model is voiced better than the original. Some here disagree and say the original sounds better "everything at noon." I'll proceed with the idea that they are probably close. Given that...

I'm fine with the master on the original, and the taper is supposedly better on the Mk II, so you should be OK there.

To your second point: Wives can be replaced if they complain too much. Ok, just kidding on that one. But I think that as long as you're familiar with what all you lose tonally when you turn WAY down, you'll be happy with it because even at "wife sleeping two rooms away" volume, it works fine.

I think it is "very" versatile, but not incredibly so. The clean channel really stays clean, so there is not really a "crank the gain on the clean channel and you get a crunch channel" thing going on with it. And, you can use the OD with the gain really low. I've talked much here about going a whole week with the OD channel gain between 7:30 and 9:00. It is not "quite" as open there as a lower gain amp, but it's in the ballpark. Drop a Barber Compact Direct Drive (my current fave for this) in the clean channel and dial it for anything from mild to hard rock M style breakup. So if you want something "less" than OD channel offers, it's easy to get with a pedal.

And then there's the OD channel. Let me just say this about the OD channel. After almost a month of playing nothing but my HDRX20 (because I just got it and am still in the experimenting phase) I turned on the Archon instead last night and within seconds of hitting that OD channel, was wondering why in the world I bought another amp. THAT is THE SOUND! IF the new version is really like that, JUST GET IT!
I don't have the newer version, but I do have an OG 50w head. I can echo everything DTR says. Mainly because I talked him into getting one! :p

Thanks all. Aside from the obvious loss in tone at lower volumes, do you think the 50 works well enough at *reasonable* household volumes too?

Is the master good enough to do so without an attenuator?

I know having tried an MT15 the MV on that is pretty much off straight to take-your-head-off!

Thanks all. Aside from the obvious loss in tone at lower volumes, do you think the 50 works well enough at *reasonable* household volumes too?

Is the master good enough to do so without an attenuator?

I know having tried an MT15 the MV on that is pretty much off straight to take-your-head-off!
Much better than the MT15. I had one, for a while. That volume taper was just too touchy. The Archon is 100 times better. IMO, it's the best amp I've owned. Especially with respect to volume ranges and useful tones.

Much better than the MT15. I had one, for a while. That volume taper was just too touchy. The Archon is 100 times better. IMO, it's the best amp I've owned. Especially with respect to volume ranges and useful tones.

Thanks @bodia.

These are quite hard to come by here in the UK, but I might take a punt providing the shop has a good returns policy.

Thanks all for your help :)

Darn you guys! I’m gonna end up with a 50w head at some point - Ive been watching an MIA one…. I absolutely don’t need one. Still, it’s probably as close to big iron as I’ll ever get. Dang it!

To anyone following my “anybody playing a Tonex” catch all, what should I do next thread, it could be this.

OP - welcome!!! Glad to have you here. Just know if I end up with a 50 watt Archon head, I fully intend to blame you. And @bodia and @DreamTheaterRules .

Darn you guys! I’m gonna end up with a 50w head at some point - Ive been watching an MIA one…. I absolutely don’t need one. Still, it’s probably as close to big iron as I’ll ever get. Dang it!

To anyone following my “anybody playing a Tonex” catch all, what should I do next thread, it could be this.

OP - welcome!!! Glad to have you here. Just know if I end up with a 50 watt Archon head, I fully intend to blame you. And @bodia and @DreamTheaterRules .
I accept no responsibility for this happening ;)

Happy to help! :p

Happy to help! :p
I appreciate it. If you have any ideas on pricing for a nice purple MIA one, shoot me a PM. I’d reached out to @DreamTheaterRules, but spellcheck made an unwanted assist, and I called him “Hosiery.” Between that and my usual rambling, I’d step carefully away as well! Anyway, enough teasing DTR, I’m thinking more seriously about an Archon 50.

Back to OP - I’d love to hear a comparison or two from anyone who’s had the chance play an MIA vs made overseas ( or OG vs MkII).

I appreciate it. If you have any ideas on pricing for a nice purple MIA one, shoot me a PM. I’d reached out to @DreamTheaterRules, but spellcheck made an unwanted assist, and I called him “Hosiery.” Between that and my usual rambling, I’d step carefully away as well! Anyway, enough teasing DTR, I’m thinking more seriously about an Archon 50.

Back to OP - I’d love to hear a comparison or two from anyone who’s had the chance play an MIA vs made overseas ( or OG vs MkII).
I think you’d be good at $850. Maybe a touch more for the Purple (which is what I have).

Ok, I told you in the PM but man, I'm sorry. I read that on my phone so wasn't ready to type a detailed reply. Then forgot to circle back. Sorry!

So I LOVE the purple ones but honest answer, I don't know if it may have a lower market value due to not everyone feeling that way. I remember seeing some of the red Dr. Z amps and made a remark at TGP that the red ones were the best looking and I'd prefer that any time, and I got a reply from one guy who had like 10 Z amps and he said he agreed, but stopped buying red because if he didn't love the amp and decided to flip it for another Z amp, the red ones wouldn't bring as much as standard colors like black, black/gray, black/tan, etc. He said one amp sold for over $200 less because he couldn't find a buyer who'd take a red one for weeks. Anyway...

Given how nuts used gear prices are, I'd snatch that up at that price, but I have not searched Reverb lately to see if that's a good price or not. But that's no more than they were going for 4-5 years ago and most gear is going for WAY more than it was in 2017-2018.

Plus you can save shipping if you make the drive. I'd do it and do it quickly. Then let me know and I'll give you a few settings to try.

Again, sorry I forgot to reply!

p.s. (see now that I feel bad, I'm overcompensating! :D ) I have not compared the MIA vs the II. I have heard several people say that they A) redid the gain taper so that it comes on slower (PRS claimed this as well, and this would be a good choice in this design) and B) revoiced it slightly due to people saying it was too bass and mids heavy (PRS claimed this as well, and again, I'd say that was a good choice).

But I have no problem dialing in the MIA version to where I want it (ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS AMP!) and, @Bogner says the new one doesn't sound as good as the MIA... so, while I haven't compared them directly, and know several who LOVE the overseas version, as long as I could get one $850 -$900 I'd probably go MIA. Now, if (and they should...) the II get's down to $650 or so used, I might play one before deciding. Otherwise, I'd go MIA because I KNOW and LOVE that amp.

Back