Archon 50 MK2 - Volume and versatility?

Ok, I told you in the PM but man, I'm sorry. I read that on my phone so wasn't ready to type a detailed reply. Then forgot to circle back. Sorry!

So I LOVE the purple ones but honest answer, I don't know if it may have a lower market value due to not everyone feeling that way. I remember seeing some of the red Dr. Z amps and made a remark at TGP that the red ones were the best looking and I'd prefer that any time, and I got a reply from one guy who had like 10 Z amps and he said he agreed, but stopped buying red because if he didn't love the amp and decided to flip it for another Z amp, the red ones wouldn't bring as much as standard colors like black, black/gray, black/tan, etc. He said one amp sold for over $200 less because he couldn't find a buyer who'd take a red one for weeks. Anyway...

Given how nuts used gear prices are, I'd snatch that up at that price, but I have not searched Reverb lately to see if that's a good price or not. But that's no more than they were going for 4-5 years ago and most gear is going for WAY more than it was in 2017-2018.

Plus you can save shipping if you make the drive. I'd do it and do it quickly. Then let me know and I'll give you a few settings to try.

Again, sorry I forgot to reply!
Seriously, no worries. Just doing what we all do - tease each other!

Ok, so I think I’m ready to pull the trigger and I’ve found a shop which has a decent returns policy!

As a final sense to check those in the know (save a divorce coming my way) - do these still sound alright at sensible home/bedroom volumes?

I’ve had Marshalls and all sorts of a lower wattage than these 50w Archons and had nothing but fizz at lower volumes. Everything I’ve read about the Archons say they’re pretty stellar at all volumes, but I wanted a final check :)

Ok, so I think I’m ready to pull the trigger and I’ve found a shop which has a decent returns policy!

As a final sense to check those in the know (save a divorce coming my way) - do these still sound alright at sensible home/bedroom volumes?

I’ve had Marshalls and all sorts of a lower wattage than these 50w Archons and had nothing but fizz at lower volumes. Everything I’ve read about the Archons say they’re pretty stellar at all volumes, but I wanted a final check :)
Bedroom level is about all I play at (townhouse with a shared wall :(), and it sounds great.

Thanks @bodia - I think that’s sealed the deal.

If I end up with an angry wife I’ll be sure to pass your details on ;)

It’s ok, mine still thinks I bought an SE245 (haha).

She doesn’t know about the Core Santana though (oops).

Maybe look at an attenuator, if you don’t like the quiet volume. I’m using one for my Boogie and it gives big tone without blood loss from your aural canals.

Hi Jamie
I'm also in the UK and have been using a current version Archon 50 for the past year. Everything that's been written about the original US version is similar to my findings with the current version. I have the combo, not the head version. The drive channel is a very hot channel , the clean channel is super clean but a fantastic pedal platform. My only criticism is that I would have liked a tank reverb on board - but at least you are free to choose your own pedal! For home practice the master volumes work a treat on both channels - you have to be way low before the tone becomes too compromised (on clean - drive is a lot more sensitive). I don't have an attenuator.. Gig wise it is definitely a versatile amp. I was a little unsure at first as I normally use a clean channel and crank to the break point that suits me - with the Archon 50 this means using clean and a pedal instead but it doesn't need to be super exotic - a humble Blues Driver works well. I tend to use mine with a Tech 21 FlyRig in front of it (RK 5 ii) as a minimalist pedal board and DI if needed.

@Bogner[/USER] says the new one doesn't sound as good as the MIA...
I Stand By My Original Statement On This...Yes. The Original Archon Sounds Better To Me. I Have Both The 50 And 100 And Love Both. To Me, They Seem A Little More Robust And Dynamic Sounding...Richer In Every Way. I Typically Play Heavy Stuff Most Of The Time So Maybe Somebody Who Plays A Different Style May Feel Differently. I Don't Believe The New Version Sounds "Bad" But To Me It Doesn't Sound As Good As The Original Offerings. Low Volume Quality Tones Are Fine On Any Of The Ones I Own As Well As The New Versions I Have Tried. All Of Them Are Nice, Versatile Amps With Great Tones Inside Them In All Kinds Of Directions. I Simply Prefer The Original Model...By A Significant Amount. :)

Hi Jamie
I'm also in the UK and have been using a current version Archon 50 for the past year. Everything that's been written about the original US version is similar to my findings with the current version. I have the combo, not the head version. The drive channel is a very hot channel , the clean channel is super clean but a fantastic pedal platform. My only criticism is that I would have liked a tank reverb on board - but at least you are free to choose your own pedal! For home practice the master volumes work a treat on both channels - you have to be way low before the tone becomes too compromised (on clean - drive is a lot more sensitive). I don't have an attenuator.. Gig wise it is definitely a versatile amp. I was a little unsure at first as I normally use a clean channel and crank to the break point that suits me - with the Archon 50 this means using clean and a pedal instead but it doesn't need to be super exotic - a humble Blues Driver works well. I tend to use mine with a Tech 21 FlyRig in front of it (RK 5 ii) as a minimalist pedal board and DI if needed.
Thanks @Dasher, super helpful.

Great to hear it works at lower volumes too without becoming fizzy or horrible.

I think the thing I’ll be missing is what you covered - those Marshall-esque crunch tones, but I could do those with a pedal.

Out of interest, where in the UK are you? I’m based just outside Cambridge.

Thanks @bodia - I think that’s sealed the deal.

If I end up with an angry wife I’ll be sure to pass your details on ;)

He's already got one, y'know!

alreadygotone-monty.gif

Thanks @Dasher, super helpful.

Great to hear it works at lower volumes too without becoming fizzy or horrible.

I think the thing I’ll be missing is what you covered - those Marshall-esque crunch tones, but I could do those with a pedal.

Out of interest, where in the UK are you? I’m based just outside Cambridge.
Notts - got my Archon 50 from PMT Nottingham. I see that PMT have a B Stock combo in at the moment. I'd agree - the lead channel is more Boogiesque than Marshalleque but the clean channel takes pedals really well and so I'm sure that you will find one to suit. I have a Tech 21 NYC 'British' pedal that I've just placed in the path to see what it's like (I'd not used it with the Archon - I have it more for changing the tone of a Princeton) and it does give crunch without being 'thin'. Amazingly though I've never owned a Marshall of any sort and so cant say whether it is a decent substitute or not. At volume though the Archon has presence - it's a nice amp.

Well, it’s ordered! A 50w head and 1x12 matching cab.

I blame you all! :D

Will report back tomorrow
Love it! Man, I forgot to post this. Every time someone asks about the Archon being a pure high gain amp, I always post this video that former memeber Aristotle made.

The Archon Has A Stunning Clean Channel IMO. I Find Many High Gain Amps Lacking In The Cleans Or Great Clean Amps Lacking In The High Gain Side Of Things. The Archon Delivers On Both Accounts And Also The Mid Gain Tones Too! The Archon Is Great!

So, I’ve got the amp.

It’s sounds great, but -

The hum, even when all pots are on zero is so loud, more than any other amp I’ve ever had.

I’ve tried it in multiple power outlets bits it borderline unusable for me.

There’s also a weird buffeting type noise when I sweep the depth pot.

Had anyone else had experience with this?

So, I’ve got the amp.

It’s sounds great, but -

The hum, even when all pots are on zero is so loud, more than any other amp I’ve ever had.

I’ve tried it in multiple power outlets bits it borderline unusable for me.

There’s also a weird buffeting type noise when I sweep the depth pot.

Had anyone else had experience with this?

Do you get the hum with nothing plugged in? Mine is quiet w/nothing plugged into it, but when I have anything plugged in, it can be anywhere from quiet to buzzy, but nowhere near unusable. My guess is, assuming no grounding issues, something got jostled in shipping and is either loose or bad. But I'm far from a tube amp expert.

If you like it well enough, I'd try it somewhere else, maybe even a guitar shop where someone can give you an idea what might be going on (even if they can't fix it). Then you'd just have to decide if it's worth putting a few more bucks into it for the fix.

Back