DG-50 and HX/DA. Should I get both ?

I have to say, the DG30 is one of the better looking amps out there. I know that doesn’t make it sound better, but it counts for good vibes with me. Kind of like my California Tweed… seems to sound good even when it’s just sitting there, off.
Haha! I know what you mean. It is certainly a looker! I have to say I am like you, the look also plays somewhat of a roll and that vibe. If they were the same amps but one was black and not setup like this tweed with cherry red, I would surely be trying to get the Tweed with red over the black, may even pay a little more.

I was also very happy the HX/DA didn't have the paisley print, sorry I know folks love them just not my bag. I like subtle looks with my gear. Was very happy the HX/DA is all black with the line running through and the bird, now if we can just do something about that big obnoxious signature... J/K! Both these amps have contrast to one another, definately looking as good as they play, which I will found out soon . Although the clips from Les sound superb.

Last edited:
I have to say, the DG30 is one of the better looking amps out there. I know that doesn’t make it sound better, but it counts for good vibes with me. Kind of like my California Tweed… seems to sound good even when it’s just sitting there, off.
After a glowing review, followed by a thread of replies that all felt similar, I'm interested in hearing more of your thoughts about the California Tweed. Several guys in that thread who say they've tried lots of Mesas, and lots of other high end amps (Two Rock, etc.) and say the CT is they best amp they've ever used. One guy even said that he currently had 20 amps but after spending a month the the CT, and 6 months with the Fillmour, he was selling all his other amps because they were two two best amps he'd ever owned, and he owns some NICE stuff. He too, mentioned not loving other Mesa amps in the past, or liking several enough to hang on to them for a couple years but eventually moving on, and stated that he was so crazy about both that he KNEW they were lifers.

I went through a bunch of them and really liked some a lot but never had one I just couldn't live without, so I sort of gave up on them and haven't tried either of the newer ones. Or the Badlander.

Enjoy those amps! Let us know if you need/want any setup tips.
Will do Les! Thank You!

I am going to dime all nobs at 12 with the MV at 3 then work the master up or down and adjust each nob/EQ.

I will keep in mind of the Tone Cut and boost settings on the D30....let's see how long it takes before I reach out for help :p;);)

Last edited:
After a glowing review, followed by a thread of replies that all felt similar, I'm interested in hearing more of your thoughts about the California Tweed. Several guys in that thread who say they've tried lots of Mesas, and lots of other high end amps (Two Rock, etc.) and say the CT is they best amp they've ever used. One guy even said that he currently had 20 amps but after spending a month the the CT, and 6 months with the Fillmour, he was selling all his other amps because they were two two best amps he'd ever owned, and he owns some NICE stuff. He too, mentioned not loving other Mesa amps in the past, or liking several enough to hang on to them for a couple years but eventually moving on, and stated that he was so crazy about both that he KNEW they were lifers.

I went through a bunch of them and really liked some a lot but never had one I just couldn't live without, so I sort of gave up on them and haven't tried either of the newer ones. Or the Badlander.
The CT is a hard amp to quantify, but a really easy one to play! Les S has the Fillmore, and he feels the same about it. One common thread between ours is the 100w Jensen Blackbird Alnico speaker, which is a really, really great compliment for the Fenderish gain levels. They are using a 40w version now, which seems odd as the CT has a 40w setting, so it’ll likely top that. Maybe early G-brand influence .

The CT has a “wattage” selector, but that doesn’t really explain what it does. It may seem like a loudness attenuator, and it does that, but it also changes the wiring of the tubes, a subtle change you can feel. So it‘s a one-channel, five-different-tube-wiring/power-option amp. Easy peasy. Reverb, by the way, is deep as a canyon. Nice.

To me, it’s everything I loved about the old (brown/black face) amps in a new and reliable format. It’s not flashy, or multi-channel, or overly powerful (40, 30, 20, 10, 2 watts). It’s all 6V6, so the lineage isn’t hidden. You really need to get one home, and spend some time with it. Once you learn how to dance with it, you see the reason for the positive responses. It’s not for everyone, for sure. But if you dig it, you will really dig it.

/hijack

The CT is a hard amp to quantify, but a really easy one to play! Les S has the Fillmore, and he feels the same about it. One common thread between ours is the 100w Jensen Blackbird Alnico speaker, which is a really, really great compliment for the Fenderish gain levels. They are using a 40w version now, which seems odd as the CT has a 40w setting, so it’ll likely top that. Maybe early G-brand influence .

The CT has a “wattage” selector, but that doesn’t really explain what it does. It may seem like a loudness attenuator, and it does that, but it also changes the wiring of the tubes, a subtle change you can feel. So it‘s a one-channel, five-different-tube-wiring/power-option amp. Easy peasy. Reverb, by the way, is deep as a canyon. Nice.

To me, it’s everything I loved about the old (brown/black face) amps in a new and reliable format. It’s not flashy, or multi-channel, or overly powerful (40, 30, 20, 10, 2 watts). It’s all 6V6, so the lineage isn’t hidden. You really need to get one home, and spend some time with it. Once you learn how to dance with it, you see the reason for the positive responses. It’s not for everyone, for sure. But if you dig it, you will really dig it.

/hijack

Please /hijack away .... Here's me " California Tweed You say... everything you love about the black,brown face with 6L6's you say ... Jensen Blackbird Alnico 100watt speaker you say ...;)o_O:cool:

I’ll just leave this right here… no harm intended…

ioOKq0I.jpg

That’s known as “Stealth”. My Super Dallas is in the same and must confess, I prefer it too. o_O
@Boogie never knew that. That just adds flavor.

Do you have the matching "Stealth" cab?

Yeah it is a knock out look, I am all for subtle looks. I don't need snake skin or swade on my amps :cool::D

@Boogie never knew that. That just adds flavor.

Do you have the matching "Stealth" cab?

Yeah it is a knock out look, I am all for subtle looks. I don't need snake skin or swade on my amps :cool::D
I certainly do! Even have a 1x12 too. It’s gorgeous!

superdwithpinecab.jpg

It’s been everywhere…fancy gigs and complete crap venues. This is from a beach party where we blasted from a concrete beach house…

wetgig4.jpg

I certainly do! Even have a 1x12 too. It’s gorgeous!

superdwithpinecab.jpg

It’s been everywhere…fancy gigs and complete crap venues. This is from a beach party where we blasted from a concrete beach house…

wetgig4.jpg
Ya! Gorgeous indeed ! I need

Haha! Way to rock man. Like to here you digging in regardless where you play. Good to see the rig out and not just in a studio !

I have a lead on a Pine closed back 2 X 12 Stealth Cab with G12M Creambacks., I should be able to snag it for a fair price...and no it is not on reverb that so called Ted Nugent owned 2 X 12 PRS Stealth cab with V30's for $750 haha.

I think the G12M Creambacks will add a different dynamic than my DG Custom cab with Vintage 30's.

I have a lead on a Pine closed back 2 X 12 Stealth Cab with G12M Creambacks., I should be able to snag it for a fair price...and no it is not on reverb that so called Ted Nugent owned 2 X 12 PRS Stealth cab with V30's for $750 haha.

I think the G12M Creambacks will add a different dynamic than my DG Custom cab with Vintage 30's.
That should sound great!

FYI, the pine 2x12 w/ V30s sounds unlike any other V30 cab I’ve owned or played through. Not typical V30. A genuinely unique cab and complimentary to my amp in ways I can’t describe. When I heard DG play thru them at EXP, I knew better than to buy only the amp. The matched set was vital…another one of his suggestions (also a lesson I’ve learned thru the school of hard knocks). Great great cab.

Back