Picking The Amp(s) For A Session Or Show. What's Your Process?

Speaking of speakers... <---(You see what I did there.)

I'm absolutely loving the recently-acquired 4x10 Mesa cab with Celestion Creams. The thing just sounds great.

"Tell the people what it's like, Laz."

"For starters I've named it The Quality Quad of Crispy-Creamy Character. Try saying that really fast."

"OK. It's a Quabklku Kwignlek of Crsphlu-Crsigye Clsndoim."

"It's a tongue-twister, isn't it?"

"No, I said it perfectly. So I guess you like the cab, huh?"

"I am now betrothed to it."

"What does your wife have to say about that?"

"Well, on her way out the door she said she hopes I'll be very happy with an inanimate object."

"How did that make you feel?"

"Like I'm gonna have to start watching cooking videos on YouTube. I don't think The Quality Quad of Crispy-Creamy Character can make food."

"Maybe not, but it sure can cook!"

[cymbal crash]

Last edited:
Speaking of speakers... <---(You see what I did there.)

I'm absolutely loving the recently-acquired 4x10 Mesa cab with Celestion Creams. The thing just sounds great.

"Tell the people what it's like, Laz."

"For starters I've named it The Quality Quad of Crispy-Creamy Character. Try saying that really fast ten times."

"OK. It's a Quabklku Kwignlek of Crsphlu-Crsigye Clsndoim."

"It's a tongue-twister, isn't it?"

"No, I said it perfectly. So I guess you like the cab, huh?"

"I am now betrothed to it."

"What does your wife have to say about that?"

"Well, on her way out the door she said she hopes I'll be very happy with an inanimate object."

"How did that make you feel?"

"Like I'm gonna have to start watching cooking videos on YouTube. I don't think The Quality Quad of Crispy-Creamy Character can make food."

"Maybe not, but it sure can cook!"

[cymbal crash]

I’m jealous of that cab!

It’s the only Creamback variety I haven’t tried (not counting the Neo). Haven’t run into a Creamback I didn’t like. The direct nature of a 10 mixed with the Creamback vibe is something I’d like to try. If I could go back in time to when I had made my 1x12’s, and make a third with a 2x10” baffle…

Regarding speakers, I've found the Fane A60/F70 pairing to be about as top dog as any combo I've heard. Snappy cleans, smooth creamy overdrive, it does it all. Another winning pair is the Tone Tubby Red/4040.
care to share more info? I’ve been interested in those ever since they were re-introduced, but never tried, or heard them in person.

Poking around their US distributor's site, I found this YouTube demo of the line. I thought it was pretty interesting, and like the presenter, I liked the pairing of the 30 and 60 Watt alnico speakers best for the kind of music I play. But they all sound excellent.

I'd kinda like to hear an A30/A60 combination in the closed back PRS Big Mouth (or similar, like a Mesa Recto cab). Or with a Lone Star in an open back cab. They sound like excellent speakers in that demo, and they all have a different character when pushed.

Unfortunately, right now isn't the time for me to mess with doing that myself. Might try it later this fall, though.

Back