Build your $3,000 dream rig

PRS S2 Studio Guitar (the good news is that I already have one) - $1300 approx
Quilter 101 50 watt head and speaker cabinet - $850 approx (the good news is that I already have one)
5 pedals at an average cost of $175 each = $875 (one pedal will need to be reverb or delay for most people - Quilter head does not have reverb.). To each his own - for me it would be reverb, delay, chorus, OD, and clean boost

Older used McCarty for 1,650
Ceriatone OTS 50 for 1,350
The amp has a foot switch for clean and overdrive channels included so I guess that's the "pedals" sorted.

I'll play along...

Guitar: SE One ($400 on the 'verb)

Amp: MT15 and single Cab($1000 also on 'verb)

Pedals: Polytune ($75)
Pedal Power ($75)
Klon KTR ($240)
Bogner Burnley ($170)
JHS Unicorn ($170)
Boss /WAZA CE-2 ($160)
Line 6 Echo Park ($75)
MXR Phase 90 ($50)
Source Audio Ventris Dual Reverb ($335)
Ditto Stereo Looper ($80)
Because I can't think of anything else to put on the board and I have some cash left...Miku Stomp ($239)

That puts my total at $3069. These prices are direct from Reverb, so I'm gonna say I'll be able to whittle off the $69 I'm over budget by getting a couple guys to take my best offer:cool:

I'll play along...

Guitar: SE One ($400 on the 'verb)

Amp: MT15 and single Cab($1000 also on 'verb)

Pedals: Polytune ($75)
Pedal Power ($75)
Klon KTR ($240)
Bogner Burnley ($170)
JHS Unicorn ($170)
Boss /WAZA CE-2 ($160)
Line 6 Echo Park ($75)
MXR Phase 90 ($50)
Source Audio Ventris Dual Reverb ($335)
Ditto Stereo Looper ($80)
Because I can't think of anything else to put on the board and I have some cash left...Miku Stomp ($239)

That puts my total at $3069. These prices are direct from Reverb, so I'm gonna say I'll be able to whittle off the $69 I'm over budget by getting a couple guys to take my best offer:cool:
You could make this work by losing the tuner.

With the Miku on, it won't matter.

I don't think I saw a bad idea anywhere in here.

Y'all're damn geniuses

My answer was based purely on what I would do IF I didn't have any gear to begin with. If you were looking at these for idea's on what could be possible, what to do given your budget of just $3000, then I hope it inspires you to spend wisely.

If I had £3000 (as I am in the UK) to spend today, taking all the gear I already own and my current situation, my £3000 spend would be different again from the two examples that I detailed in my first post. The fact that I don't and certainly can't see me gigging again and already owning a Marshall JVM 410 and the Digitech Trio+ anyway, it would be pointless wasting my budget on duplicate gear.

As for the 'Home' situation which resembles my own current circumstances, I would probably drop the Katana as I have a Blackstar HT5r and either use the money to get a better guitar or maybe upgrade from the Helix LT to the Helix Floor - assuming I have to spend that money today.

The reality though for me at the moment is that I am in 'Save' mode (for Special 22 Semi-Hollow and a 594 Hollowbody in Fire Red obviously) so I would keep saving to get enough together to buy one of these guitars. I wouldn't spend £3k right now on anything given the choice because that would affect the time taken to satiate my GAS for those 2 PRS guitars I want.

If I won a £3k voucher for a music shop that I had to spend today and cannot add any extra funds from my own account, then my own gear would still influence what I would get - although most of what I would buy in that situation would be stuff that I don't need and could happily go without. I don't 'need' a new guitar (other than the two PRS's I mentioned) and don't really have the space for 8-10+ guitars - even 7 (6 PRS guitars and my Acoustic) is pushing beyond my limits but I will find a way to accommodate those 2. If I won a lump sum of 3K, that would go into my savings fund rather than buy stuff just because I have money in my account. That's the reality for me right now.

Last edited:
Being the cheap b@stage I am, I'm hunting used:

Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special - $1150-used Reverb
PRS McCarty Soapbar-$1450-used Reverb
Boss MS-3-$275-used Reverb
OCD - $69.99 - used Guitar Center
DOD Gunslinger -$30-that's what I paid when they were blowing them out last year on Amazon. There's something really magical that happens when ran into an OCD.

$25.01 left for a margarita and street tacos.

Last edited:
Back