Build your $3,000 dream rig

1) I'm not going shopping.
2) I'm not catering to a GAS addiction.
3) I'm not personally attacking others viewpoints, only considering how others might feel.

1) That’s totally cool.
2) How commendable of you.
3)What?!?! Go back and read your own posts in case you blacked out after singling out Les, claiming the professional wage earners have an unfair advantage, and delivering your sermon on materialism.

1) That’s totally cool.
2) How commendable of you.
3)What?!?! Go back and read your own posts in case you blacked out after singling out Les, claiming the professional wage earners have an unfair advantage, and delivering your sermon on materialism.

1) Thanks.
2) Much appreciated.
3) As was said in subsequent posts, my comment was not targeting Les or his stuff. It was about my comment that lower or middle class workers sometimes struggle to make ends meet, and can't afford expensive things, such as a $20K rig. My comment was not intended as a "sermon", but more of a commentary that class-distinctions do exist and that not everyone can afford expensive luxury.

Come on, I'll buy you a virtual beer. I've no personal qualms with any of you folks, just the fact that sometimes social issues stand in the way of peaceful discussions...

Regardless of your social class, $3k or even $20k may not be 'enough' to buy a Dream rig - it may not even buy your dream guitar if you want a genuine 58 Gibson Les Paul. It doesn't matter if some can afford to spend $10k+ on a Private Stock or not, something like this thread, a thread based on buying a 'dream' rig assuming you were limited to $3k is hypothetical. Social class was never brought into the conversation, the purpose, at least as far as I understood it, was to build your best 'rig' if you only have a budget of $3k. It doesn't matter if you are at the lowest end of social ladder and think $3k is a 'massive' budget with which to hypothetically spend $3k on gear or at the highest end where $3k is small change, the principal is the same.

It doesn't matter if your entire Rig is worth $500 or less or whether $3k wouldn't buy your cheapest guitar, maybe not your Amp either, the principal is still the same - pick a hypothetical rig that cost $3k that you would be happy with. If you are at the 'lower' end of the social ladder and 'affected' by the wealth of others, of all Forums to frequent, coming onto a PRS forum is not going to help where people post images of their music room full of core, wood library and private stock instruments - more guitars than some music shops have, post threads of their new guitar day Private Stock instrument that costs as much as they earn a year. For them, $3k is more of a 'dream' rig where as those who think nothing of spending $3k+ on a guitar would be thinking more about what gear they would be happy with if they had to set up a 'rig' with just $3k - the principal is still the same though - what rig could you build for $3k that you would be happy with.

This forum is full of images of guitars that cost more than $3k - should this forum stop the Private Stock Friday thread because someone from a 'lower' social class may feel bad, upset, angry etc because they can't and incredibly unlikely to ever be in a position to buy one? Should those with 'big' guitar collections, expensive rigs, etc be excluded from posting images? Not one of my electric guitars cost $3k or less yet I would probably fall in to the lower working class category (and don't appreciate people speaking on my behalf, telling others how I might or should feel about things) but because I don't go on Holiday, don't have expensive vehicles to run (MoT, Tax, Insurance, Maintenance, fuel etc), don't have expensive smartphones with expensive tariffs and paying for data packages etc, because I am prepared to save up to get some 'nice' things now my Son is an Adult and don't have a large family, wife etc to think about etc. My 'disposable' income is mine to spend how I want - and I have been the 'poor' student, the family man with kids to keep fed, watered, clothed and with a roof over their heads, I know what its like when spending even £300 on an instrument is difficult too justify. It wouldn't of stopped me participating in a thread like this. It doesn't matter whether $3k is a massive amount for someone, reflective of their current spending limit or nothing other than small change and an exercise of finding a rig that $3k, if they were limited to just that amount, they could be happy with.

You have to be patient, and know where and when to hunt. It's going to be a players grade, but those are the ones that live outside the case and get played constantly. I'll post a pic when I pick one up.

Hey, I wish you the best of luck. But I doubt you’ll find a Private Stock Tonare for $2500-3000.

I have one; it’s my only acoustic, so it gets played. But I’ll never sell it.

I paid $1350 for a used McCarty, $1150 for a used Mesa Mark IVa combo, and after that I'd get a simple JRAD silver Archer and maybe a Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe or V2, whatever the better one is. That still leaves me a good 90 or so for strings, a strap, and straplocks (Schallers were already on the guitar from the previous owner).
The only think I don't actually have here is the Pinnacle.

I paid $1350 for a used McCarty, $1150 for a used Mesa Mark IVa combo, and after that I'd get a simple JRAD silver Archer and maybe a Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe or V2, whatever the better one is. That still leaves me a good 90 or so for strings, a strap, and straplocks (Schallers were already on the guitar from the previous owner).
The only think I don't actually have here is the Pinnacle.

Strings strap and strap locks are freebies in this thread :D

Back