Build your $3,000 dream rig

Tremontinator

Banned
Ok so the trend on YouTube for the past few years has been this idea that you can get a hell of a lot of guitar for US$1,000.

I started thinking

What if you had $1,000 for a guitar, $1,000 for an amp, and $1,000 for pedals.

So, let's have some fun.
Let's just imagine that we're all building a complete rig from scratch. Your picks, strings, cables, strap/locks, slide, and pedalboard are all covered. You already have them.

What you need, is a guitar, amp, and pedals.

Your budget is 3,000 whatever your currency is. (Americans use the dollar, Brits use the Pound, Europeans use the Euro, etc).
Let's not get caught up in exchange rate. Your budget is 3 Grand, and you can spend your money any way you like.

I'll start with the obvious MT15 and cabinet which I believe is right there at a grand

I'll get a 535Q Crybaby, MXR M234 stereo chorus, BOSS TU2 tuner, a good boost and a bluesy OD, and then a reverb and a mild slap back Delay. Along with a good classic rock distortion.

I'm not sure so, I'm going to say these items will run me around say $750

Next, I'll buy the SE SC245, and put all of my remaining money into upgrading it. Tuners, pickups, nut, and whatever else I can afford.

What rig would you guys build?
And yes, you're allowed to ditch the amp all together and buy a computer with monitors, software, DAW, and whatever else you need.

But, you can not break the budget of three thousand (insert your local currency)

While I'm at it, if you have a really really crappy currency like, IDK, the Peso or something where it doesn't buy anything, just explain how increasing your budget is roughly equivalent to everybody else.

And please, let's not get too caught up in the issue of currency.

(used)PRS HB II $1850. on a certain website. (But I'd try to work him down to $1700)
(used) Mesa Rectoverb combo $1100, same site. (I'd try to round it down to $1000)
That leaves $300. for a Talkbox, and maybe after shopping a cheesesteak ........

........ oh yeah, can't use it for food.:oops:
Hey, all this shopping makes me hungry, that's why they have food courts at shopping malls, this kinda stuff builds up an appetite.

I bought a new travel rig over the weekend, so I can play accurately. Some of the fundage will be split a little differently, but it will all come in under $3K based on Sweetwater pricing.

Amp and Effects

* Line 6 HX Stomp ($599.99)
* Tech 21 MIDI Mouse ($109)
* DOD Mini Expression ($99.95)
* EV ZLX12P ($349)

total - $1157.94

Guitar

* PRS S2 Singlecut Standard in Frost Green ($1349)

Grand Total:

$2506.94

I would be able to use this rig recording, rehearsing and gigging. I know because I used a Helix Rack rig and an S2 SC STD live for 4-5 years. All the effects I need are in the Helix, adding the MIDI Mouse gives me a couple of extra controls the HX looses in the small forum factor. The EV gives me clean, flat response power (1000 watts Class D) for the times I need volume.

I actually bought the HX, Tech 21, and DOD this weekend. They KILL. I mounted them to a small board, and now my travel rig is even smaller than the 4-space rack and backpack I was carrying. Man, I love technology!!!

Guitar: Used PRS S2 Singlecut Standard ~$1150

Amp: Used Fender Blues Deluxe RI ~$500

Effects: PedalTrain Novo18 (new: $129); Used Effects: T Rex Classic Power ($105); Voodoo Lab Digital Power ($100); Dunlop MC404 CAE Wah ($120); Ego Compressor ($135); Blue Note ($135); TC Spark Mini ($30); TC Sentry ($100); Neunaber Immerse ($140) - Effects Subtotal: $999.00

Gear Total: $2699 plus any extra shipping charges; ~ $200; Total = $2899.00

Last edited:
It depends on the situation I am Spending £3k on gear. If its for gigging, jamming with friends inc a loud Drummer, then my purchasing would be very different to being a 'bedroom' player for example.

My Gigging/Jamming Rig would be as Follows:-
Guitar - If I only have £3k to spend, it would be a toss up between buying a PRS SE Paul's Guitar (in Red) or the PRS SE Custom 24 in Fire Red - right now I think its more likely to be the Custom 24 but ask me in 20mins and I could have different answer and change my mind 20 mins after that... Both are £800 in the UK (Andertons pricing)

The Amp - it would probably be the Marshall JVM 410C (£1269) because it has a LOT of versatility thanks to having 3 options each for its 4 channels. I love mine even if I don't get the usage from it anymore due to the fact its 100w and I live in close proximity to neighbours. I picked this more because of familiarity but, with my next purchase, I may consider a single channel alternative.

Pedal Board - I would also buy a Helix LT with the money left. At £779, that would leave me around £150 to buy a decent Looper as the looper on a Helix seems a bit lacking. I would want the Digitech Trio+ but that has jumped up in price since I bought mine - may have to go with the Boss RC-3.

The reason I would spend my Money this way is for versatility for any situation and style of music. The Amp is very flexible and Helix offers a great range of Pedals and can go straight into a PA or Mixing Desk for recording.

If its just for Home/Bedroom and the occasional Jam or small gig:-
Pedal Board - I would still buy a Helix LT at £779.

The Amp - it would probably be the Boss Katana 1x12 100w (£263) as it has an FX loop and therefore can use the 4-cable method with the Helix.

Guitar - PRS CE Custom 24 (£1,899 Ltd Angry Larry Satin finish version) but maybe wouldn't buy a PRS at all - A Gibson LP may be more tempting as I do prefer set necks. If I don't have to buy 'new', then it would be MUCH more likely for me to look for a use Core PRS. Given the choice of buying a new PRS CE, a new Gibson Les Paul or shop around for a used core PRS (any model), then I will buy a Used Core PRS every time but as this seemed to imply that the gear had to be new, then I again it would be a flip of a coin between the CE or the Gibby LP

I wouldn't spend 'big' on an Amp if the majority of the time I am using it at home and, with the Katana, I can drop it done to 0.5w too. It has a lot of versatility and don't 'need' to plug Helix in for just home playing - use the amps crunchier modes with the Katana's modulation, delay and reverb to get the sounds I want. Helix again offers a large range of pedals, amps, cabs etc too - much more versatility than I could ever get for under £800 if I bought individual pedals and a Katana can't give you a Wah or other Expression pedal functionality. The CE would be the best guitar I can get with the money I saved by not spending a LOT on an Amp and individual pedals.

I couldn't give a single answer because it would really depend on the reason and circumstances I am buying for. Predominantly gigging would make me want to spend more on the amp which would leave me less for the Guitar but if its predominantly for Home use, then I would go for a cheaper amp and one that can be attenuated down for home use but can still be decent enough for the occasional jam or live performance.

Last edited:

A used Vela
A Peavey Bandit amp (Loud, Durable, Takes Pedals Well, Inexpensive), "$100" (they've gone up in price since the Internet got wise to them).
A handful of Behringer pedals, $25 each get seven of the best and typical types.
Joyo American Sound pedal for cab sims and direct to PA, $30
A bunch left over to get an SE single cut 22.

all are current sweetwater listings

MXR M169 Carbon Copy delay $149.99
MXR M195 Noise Gate $89.99
Boss RV6 Reverb $149.99
Ibanez Tubscreamer $99.99
Dunlop Crybaby $79.99

Marshall DSL40 $749.99

PRS S2 Custom 24 $1549.00

with a little bit of room for extra strings and picks:)

Back