Build your $3,000 dream rig

Some of you guys are taking this way too seriously :D:p

Others are making me actually laugh out loud

It's just a thought experiment, guys. If you needed a guitar, amp, and pedals, and you only had 3 Grand, what would you buy?o_O

Power supplies, cables, straps, strap locks, picks, strings, and a pedal board are all gimmes.

I'm just curious what other people would buy.

I love how all you guys are like "I'm going used cause I'm cheap!:mad:" or "I've got money left over for beer!;)" or "I'm busting the bank and buying what I want!:D:p"

This is, without a doubt, the best guitar forum on the webz! :D

You know you're on the PRS Forum when $3,000 is just enough to get you by until you have more money :D

Others are making me actually laugh out loud

It's just a thought experiment, guys. If you needed a guitar, amp, and pedals, and you only had 3 Grand, what would you buy?o_O

Power supplies, cables, straps, strap locks, picks, strings, and a pedal board are all gimmes.

I love how all you guys are like "I'm going used cause I'm cheap!:mad:" or "I've got money left over for beer!;)" or "I'm busting the bank and buying what I want!:D:p"

This is, without a doubt, the best guitar forum on the webz! :D

You know you're on the PRS Forum when $3,000 is just enough to get you by until you have more money :D

The things I know for sure.

1) you need a PRS guitar
2) if you can play an amp loud enough to know you’re playing an amp, you need an ARCHON!
3) if you can’t, you need an Atomic AA12

The rest is subjective. :p

You just don’t want it bad enough, man.

Do you mean that I should be driving a Z06? I agree. Heck I’d settle for an SS Camaro so I could pretend to have a back seat. Wife didn’t agree though. She wants to retire. She felt 350hp and “all season” tires were more appropriate. :rolleyes: Women!

Do you mean that I should be driving a Z06? I agree. Heck I’d settle for an SS Camaro so I could pretend to have a back seat. Wife didn’t agree though. She wants to retire. She felt 350hp and “all season” tires were more appropriate. :rolleyes: Women!

Hellcat, then tell her it's a family car! Just make sure she gets the black key and save the red for yourself.

Here goes nuttin…
Start with a nice used Bolt-on...CE-22, NF-3, DC-3, (all around 12-1400)
Sonzera or used Dr Z combo (+/-1200.00)
Remainder (+/-400.00) on OD, Delay, and Phaser pedals. (Wampler, Mad Professor, Keeley, or Mojo Hand)

Hellcat, then tell her it's a family car! Just make sure she gets the black key and save the red for yourself.
I'm more about handling first, then monster power. I'd take an SS Camaro or 2-3 different models of Vette.

As a Thought Experiment, you would expect that some people would think seriously about how they would spend $/£3k as per the instruction.

From my perspective, and thinking about it, how I would spend that money led me to at least 2 differing scenarios because they way I would spend that money would be different for each case. My initial comment was also based on the situation of having no gear to begin with. As such I gave two differing set-ups - one for predominantly live performances and the other for more home based usage. That also fulfilled the criteria of a Guitar, an Amp and Pedal(s)

My second comment though was more about what I would do with $/£3k in reality, taking into consideration what I already own. In reality, I probably wouldn't buy an Amp and, unless I can put some of my own funds to a £3k 'gift' and had to as part of the stipulation for that 'gift', it would be very unlikely that I would buy a Guitar either.

In each case, I thought about it (what you would expect from a 'thought experiment') and considered the various situational conditions that I would be looking at utilising £3k of gear to comply with the original post. It does make a difference between a live performer and a home based player. As a Performer, I would be spending more evenly amongst the 3 item - Guitar, Amp, Pedal(s) - where as a home based player, I would spend a lot less on the Amp and put a lot more money into the guitar purchase - hence a Katana as that has a LOT of options for a home based player (different sounds, effects and the option of a low watt mode too).

In my second post, I considered the 'reality' - therefore satisfying your curiosity as to what I really would do with £3k - either as a max limit (cannot save or add extra funds) that must be spent on gear now or what I would really do with £3k right now (put in the bank and keep saving until I have enough for the gear I want.

In other words, the first Post wasn't serious at all but still part of a thought experiment. The first post isn't what I would buy right now if I had £3k to spend on gear as it included gear I already have and different situations to my own current situation. The second post was a bit more serious as it takes into consideration both the gear I own and current situation. The variable here though is the conditions of that £3k - whether I had to spend it all now, can save it or even add money from my own personal finances. I know my second post is more serious but it's also what I would really do with the money to satisfy your curiosity.

Pretty hard to get any sort of Core or even S2 models in this part of the world that would fit into this budget. Used versions are like hens teeth, and still cost an arm and a leg.

Even getting one from the US would be prohibitive, given the exchange rate.

So, assuming I am starting from scratch, and a PRS guitar is a must, I would go something like this.

SE245, modded with coil-splits and locking tuners. In Aus $ this is going to cost about 1500. No room for swapping pups in this scenario.

Boss Katana 100W head, with 2 X 12 cabinet. $1100 for the pair.

Round out the budget on a couple affordable yet usable pedals. Drive, delay, fuzz or chorus etc.

That'd be a rig I could be happy with until the end of my days I think.

I don't want to be disrespectful but, in my eyes, that's grounds for a Fng divorce

LOL! Well, as you can imagine, it’s not quite that simple. When you love your wife, they can get away with some things. When your wife is over 50, very cool, pretty, and has the body of those cheerleaders you were chasing in high school, and also has a good career, and a few other pluses that we can’t talk about here... well, they can make you drive a Yugo with a smile on your face. ;)

The only reason I get my sorry ass out of bed every day, is because you can't work on high performance cars in bed.

I've tried.

I got Nitromethane in my blood. I live and breath high performance. Racing is in my soul.

Cars consume the vast majority of my life. Music consumes the rest.

I can’t live without pu$$y but, I can't live without cars or music.

Disregard female specimens
Acquire currency, and build Hot Rods, Muscle Cars, Led Sleds, Kustoms, Cruisers, Rat Rods, and Race Cars. And then buy guitars

OMG!!!!!!!!! 22 year old DTR.... is that YOU???? (Fixed your typo! ;))

I hear good things about these $222 Harley Bentons with real V30s that cost less than the raw V30s on their own...

Were I to buy an MT-15 (or swap my Katana combo for a head), I'd possibly pair it with one of those.

You’ve seen the Phil McKnight video too?

What the??? It is less than the two speakers by themselves... I'm no math wiz, but...

Watch the Phil McKnight video on YT

Ok so the trend on YouTube for the past few years has been this idea that you can get a hell of a lot of guitar for US$1,000.

I started thinking

What if you had $1,000 for a guitar, $1,000 for an amp, and $1,000 for pedals.

So, let's have some fun.
Let's just imagine that we're all building a complete rig from scratch. Your picks, strings, cables, strap/locks, slide, and pedalboard are all covered. You already have them.

What you need, is a guitar, amp, and pedals.

Your budget is 3,000 whatever your currency is. (Americans use the dollar, Brits use the Pound, Europeans use the Euro, etc).
Let's not get caught up in exchange rate. Your budget is 3 Grand, and you can spend your money any way you like.

I'll start with the obvious MT15 and cabinet which I believe is right there at a grand

I'll get a 535Q Crybaby, MXR M234 stereo chorus, BOSS TU2 tuner, a good boost and a bluesy OD, and then a reverb and a mild slap back Delay. Along with a good classic rock distortion.

I'm not sure so, I'm going to say these items will run me around say $750

Next, I'll buy the SE SC245, and put all of my remaining money into upgrading it. Tuners, pickups, nut, and whatever else I can afford.

What rig would you guys build?
And yes, you're allowed to ditch the amp all together and buy a computer with monitors, software, DAW, and whatever else you need.

But, you can not break the budget of three thousand (insert your local currency)

While I'm at it, if you have a really really crappy currency like, IDK, the Peso or something where it doesn't buy anything, just explain how increasing your budget is roughly equivalent to everybody else.

And please, let's not get too caught up in the issue of currency.
OK - I would go with the PRS SC Custom 24 because I just bought that model and I love it and I believe its quality is on a par with the more expensive guitars in my collection. That's $1500. I would get a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb. That's $1000. And I would get the best Chorus pedal out there for what money is left. I am not a big pedals fan. I would possibly get a decent overdrive and a chorus but that's it. There you go.

Back