Are they overpriced compared to their relative counterpart brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread may as well be titled: "Is AC/DC overpriced compared to a AC/DC cover band?" for the kinda debating we got goin' on around here.

Heh some people here have objections to free discussions in a free forum. I pay no heed to such people. Their freedom to object, my freedom to ignore and continue posting.

If you go back to the OP's question, we can see why. Human endeavor to get the best outcome for thyself (ie making a good purchase on hard earned money). The oft chance that some view here may make sense. You have to have an opinion, you have to try. What else do you do?

I'm not sure if I get you, are you saying you're posting here with the goal that a head honcho at PRS will read it and think "you know what, that guy is right and the gig is up. He knows we've been ripping these fools off for years, time to drop all our RRPs by 20%!" ?

I'm not sure if I get you, are you saying you're posting here with the goal that a head honcho at PRS will read it and think "you know what, that guy is right and the gig is up. He knows we've been ripping these fools off for years, time to drop all our RRPs by 20%!" ?

The OP, along with many other people legitimately asking similar questions, is posting here to solicit views that leads to a sound purchase.

Some of us then chime in.

From the looks of it, I think Tracy has probably got good advice from people here who know PRS well. Great discussion.

Then you haven't been playing the right Gibsons and Fenders...both companies are putting out fine guitars...while I love my PRS...I have also played and acquired some great guitars by other manufacturers...I do believe that PRS is constantly innovating....more so than others....but to knock the others and say all the Gibsons and Fenders you've played recently are terrible makes me question whether or not you played any R9's or C/S when doing your comparisons.

This.

And no. I don't think PRS is overpriced comparatively.

I agree with this. But I will say that a I have compared some lower end US Gibsons with PRS SE models that are comparable, and the SE fit and feel is better and the tone is as good if not better.

Well just some quick input on this subject...
Mr. Paul Reed Smith, The Guys Name on the Headstock, has been dedicated to building the best guitar possible for more than 30 years.
The man has "Dog Ears", a Living Legend that in this time we are all lucky enough to communicate with as he has gone out of his way to be very personally involved with buyers in Clinics, shows and untold private events...
Compare this to the Exec's at Fender and Gibson...Has anyone ever seen Henry give an in store demonstration of a new product?
Has PRS made mistakes... of course. But he and his team are building the Better and Better Guitars every year.
I personally own 1985 #16 serial number, Paul and I were discussing this guitar and he told me to send it to the PTC and they could make it sound much better! Of course, I wouldn't agree to do that.. Destroys the MOJO, but he is correct... If its the sound, he gets its! For Paul, he is chasing the sound in his head, and most guys that give it a chance will find that to be true.. Ask Pete about the NAMM SC guitars... some small changes in the design drove PRS to build a better guitar that he has been working towards for years. Does that make Last years models or Older PRS inferior, of course not!
If you don't get it, either your taste is different or your biased... PRS makes lots of different models of guitars, that appeal to a wider audience today.
Enough Ranting! Go play guitar Fellas!!!

I just read the post mentioning relic guitars as a selling point for other well known brands. This is beyond my comprehension - these people trash a guitar and then expect to sell it at a higher price? And fools are daft enough to buy these professionally trashed guitars? That is just plain crazy.
Please PRS, NEVER release a signature relic guitar, please please NEVER!!

The great thing is you don't have to understand or buy the guitars. You can count me as one of the fools who bought a relic.

Case in point. Why does an R9 cost approx 30% more than an R8 made of the same materials, just slightly different neck carve? Better luthiers? That's a maybe, and even so does it warrant a 30% markup? No. It's simply because people are willing to pay for that perceived R9 value.

Because R9s use the lightest of the mahogany blanks, and they have figured tops. Both of those things cost $$$. Have you priced figured maple billets lately?

PRS has discontinued 10 top (or is it AP?) quilts due to being unable to source it at a reasonable price...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back