Are they overpriced compared to their relative counterpart brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Goldstein

I still get a wide variety of opinions from my colleagues when they compare PRS to Gibson or Fender CS.

I would say NO !!!!!
If you compare apple to apples ( if possible ) a top end Les Paul or Strat will be similar $$$$ to a PRS and IMHO not in the same league quality wise and now with the S2 line and SE line PRS can play at a all levels and win
if you look at MF private reserve I see LPs going from 3500-4500 and CS fenders going 3500-5000 if you look at many PRS shops you can get 10 top PRS below those numbers even rosewood necks

You get what you pay for. PRS isn't perfect, no one is, but the combination of the quality on their MD made guitars and the great combination of pickups, neck carves and tone wood options make it priced about right for the current market. I think it's an false comparison, at least for a new non-PS PRS vs. a Gibson LP Standard, they are both pretty close in new price. That said there are some Gibson players who will only by an RI LP citing quality issues with the newer LPs.

No, considering that everything from Fender CS and Gibson top of the line stuff, you still only get a fender with a few tweeks or a Gibson with a few tweeks and that's the level you have to go to to get a handed made instrument (I know that there are some parts of PRS that are not hand made but for the most part it's hand made) it's not hard to justify the price of a core line PRS then you're looking in that price range. Then you have the private stock which is far and above the FCS or GCS stuff where you can get anything you want. It's like the Core/Artist Package is better than the CS from the other guys. The S2 is better than the Standard from the others, the SE's are far and above the foreign made from the other companies. It's like Paul goes "We'll go into that part of the market and go to 11, which is one more."

the SE's are far and above the foreign made from the other companies. It's like Paul goes "We'll go into that part of the market and go to 11, which is one more."

My first PRS is an SE custom. Still love and use it.
10312735_10202174433463917_1356218042475558167_n.jpg

Jorj, I have that same model form '07 (I think, I'd have to look to be sure.) It's a great guitar, I've made a few mods, I blocked off the trem, sanded the neck to bare wood and took off the treble bleed and did a classic wiring for the tone knob. I'm thinking of replacing the pickups with the new EMG 57/66 set they have out. I know the nut is getting replaced soon. (I hate the nut that's on there.) But over all it's just a great guitar. I'm also really digging the LP body shape lately so I'm thinking of picking up some used SE singlecuts to statisfy that craving. My friend has one from '11 in CherryBurst, which is my all time favorite color combo for a guitar and I'm thinking of getting a couple of those...

C'mon Tracy, they're a freaking bargain compared to a CS Gibson or Fender, and you know it.

These kinds of threads are just unbridled opinion compost, and are meaningless.

Moreover, it's perfectly OK for people to decide for themselves what is, or is not, a good value, and it's perfectly OK for them to disagree with your own assessment.

Jorj, I have that same model form '07 (I think, I'd have to look to be sure.) It's a great guitar, I've made a few mods, I blocked off the trem, sanded the neck to bare wood and took off the treble bleed and did a classic wiring for the tone knob. I'm thinking of replacing the pickups with the new EMG 57/66 set they have out. I know the nut is getting replaced soon. (I hate the nut that's on there.) But over all it's just a great guitar. I'm also really digging the LP body shape lately so I'm thinking of picking up some used SE singlecuts to statisfy that craving. My friend has one from '11 in CherryBurst, which is my all time favorite color combo for a guitar and I'm thinking of getting a couple of those...

Really good instruments at an affordable price. Mine has no mods whatsoever and still brings it. I really like the trem on it...only mod I would want right now are locking tuners to go with that beautifully designed PRS trem.

I don’t know how many responses you will get on this thread from people that actually own Custom Shop Gibson's, Fenders, and high end PRS simultaneously.

I own 2 Custom Reissue Gibson's - Les Paul R8 and a Custom Historic ES-335 Nashville.
As far as Fender goes - 1956 Custom Time Machine Strat, 1951 Nocaster Custom, and a 1956 Custom Esquire.
My PRS - 2012 Modern Eagle 1 New Old Stock with Brazilian Rosewood neck and board.

The Gibson’s and PRS were about the same price. The Fenders a little cheaper. I bought the Esquire used. As far as tone, playability, and build quality, one is definitely no better than the other. They are all very solid well built American made guitars. Each has it’s own sound and character. Non has made me want to swear off the other brands and only have one. Nor do I want multiples of the same.

I have also owned a couple of boutique guitars over the years (some I wish I still had), TC McIntrff, John Suhr. My opinions were the same.

Mine all get about the same amount of play time, depending on what I am into at the time. Today I spent most of my playing time working on an acoustic set. (Gibson Hummingbird through a Fishman LoudBox)

My PRS is a little prettier, if you are into pretty. In my opinion, you do get what you pay for and the field is pretty level across the major builders.

9230c690-bc7f-45a7-a73a-770730e49142.jpg

Tobacco-Burst-Finish-Shot.jpg

I would fight you for either one of these.....

Last edited:
It is all about opinion. Professional or otherwise. Only compost and meaningless to some. If you feel that way, that is fine. No need to trash it though. Let's be civil.

Much appreciated.

I have had a Gold top CS and have a Gibby premium plus as well as that Gem of an Avatar. Also an ES 335. Different animals the lot of them.

As as stated earlier, some of my clientele seem to think that the QC on Gibby has declined for what you get, that the Fender Bolt on necks are a cheap way to go and the PRS are for fancy boys.

I happen to to love the QC on the PRS . Best of the bunch but some tend to think overpriced. That is their contention and I have to say I have heard them and others contend that.

C'mon Tracy, they're a freaking bargain compared to a CS Gibson or Fender, and you know it.

Totally agree. Take a CU 22 or 24 AP and compare it to a Gibson CS 59 RI. PRS is less money, higher quality, FAR more consistent, and while its subjective of course, sounds every bit as good. IMO, better. Compare it to a production Gibson, and while the Gibson is cheaper, its not even in the same league quality wise.

I don’t know how many responses you will get on this thread from people that actually own Custom Shop Gibson's, Fenders, and high end PRS simultaneously.

I own 2 Custom Reissue Gibson's - Les Paul R8 and a Custom Historic ES-335 Nashville.
As far as Fender goes - 1956 Custom Time Machine Strat, 1951 Nocaster Custom, and a 1956 Custom Esquire.
My PRS - 2012 Modern Eagle 1 New Old Stock with Brazilian Rosewood neck and board.

The Gibson’s and PRS were about the same price. The Fenders a little cheaper. I bought the Esquire used. As far as tone, playability, and build quality, one is definitely no better than the other. They are all very solid well built American made guitars. Each has it’s own sound and character. Non has made me want to swear off the other brands and only have one. Nor do I want multiples of the same.

I have also owned a couple of boutique guitars over the years (some I wish I still had), TC McIntrff, John Suhr. My opinions were the same.

Mine all get about the same amount of play time, depending on what I am into at the time. Today I spent most of my playing time working on an acoustic set. (Gibson Hummingbird through a Fishman LoudBox)

My PRS is a little prettier, if you are into pretty. In my opinion, you do get what you pay for and the field is pretty level across the major builders.

9230c690-bc7f-45a7-a73a-770730e49142.jpg

Tobacco-Burst-Finish-Shot.jpg

I would fight you for either one of these.....

Well said...beautiful guitars. That Modern Eagle is stunning. I'll bet it sings.

Best of the bunch but some tend to think overpriced. That is their contention and I have to say I have heard them and others contend that.

Ask them what Gibson they are comparing the PRS too. There is no Gibson made dollar for dollar that can match the PRS line. Its not even close.

The Gibson’s and PRS were about the same price. The Fenders a little cheaper.

I do, and have. Lots of them. Gibson and PRS the same price? Compare apples to apples. What do you think Gibson would charge you for a solid Brazilian neck and fingerboard? ;) I would think an R8 and 335 would be much less than a ME though.

Last edited:
As as stated earlier, some of my clientele seem to think that the QC on Gibby has declined for what you get, that the Fender Bolt on necks are a cheap way to go and the PRS are for fancy boys.

I think that is definitely true on the standard USA made line of Gibson’s and the imports are worse. I had two LP’s previous to my R8. One was uninspiring, the other had major issues. However, I think the 2013-14 Historic Reissues are the best Gibson has every made. Lay your hands on a Master-built Fender Strat and among other things, you will find a very precise neck to body hand fit. The neck must be removed to adjust the truss rod on these but they sound and play superbly.

No comment on “fancy boys” :flute:

Gibson and PRS the same price? Compare apples to apples. What do you think Gibson would charge you for a solid Brazilian neck and fingerboard? ;) I would think an R8 and 335 would be much less than a ME though.

They are not. I paid $300 less for my Nashville ES-335 three years ago than I did for my Moderns Eagle that I bought this spring. If you can still find any of the Nashville made ES-335’s, they are almost $2k more than the ME1. New R8’s are about the same price. R9’s go for $1.5-$2k more. And like PRS, you can pay as much as you are willing to spend if you want a Custom Collector’s Choice Lester Paul.

Aesthetically speaking, I don’t think you can beat a PRS. I have limited experience with PRS guitars but I am not sure the fancy woods add anything other than aesthetics. I know that statement alone could start a war here but I not interested in participating in that dead horse race.

Last edited:
My experience is mainly with Custom Shop Reissue Les Pauls and higher end PRS. In that range, PRS is typically cheaper. Here is what I have....

R9
R8 Double Carve
R8
R7
B7 (3 pickup version)
B5
R5 (actually 4 of them, in various configurations that they did in Mr. Potatohead fashion....)
Two Vintage 1954 Les Pauls
1961 Les Pau SG reissue
Non Custom Shop 62 Reissue SG
Norlin era '72 SG
Non Custom Shop Firebird
ES335
ES335 Custom Shop
American Standard Strat
MIM Tele
DGT
Signature Limited (Stoptail and Trem)
SC58
SC Ted BRW neck
DC Ted
Private Stock DG Sig (Dealer Commissioned)
Private Stock "Earth" (Dealer Comissioned)
BRW neck 513
McCarty 25th Narrowfield
A couple of Knaggs, a Parker, and probably another few that I can't remember at the moment....

In terms of value, the MIM Tele is probably the outlier. It cost $400, and is as good as any fancy pants Tele out there in my opinion.

The next biggest outlier in terms of value is the standard DGT. It's just an outstanding guitar and priced crazy good for what you get.

After that, I'd probably place the Firebird next in the value shootout. It was $1200, and is a great guitar.

Reissue Les Pauls are in general more pricey than what I'd consider the equivalent PRS. The BRW necked SC Ted is just crazy good with an unbelievable top and less expensive than and R8. The SC58, which is great also is even less.

My dealer commissioned PRS private stocks are just out of the park good, but priced at what a new R9 costs and is definitely more bang for the buck.

I can't say for sure that a PRS SE of some configuration is "better" than the equivalent Gibson or Fender...but I'd be surprised if it weren't.

That's my experience anyway. I love Les Pauls, and there just isn't a replacement for the ES335's from any other guitar company.... But dollar for dollar, the PRS line stacks up well...at least in the high end....

They are not. I paid $300 less for my Nashville ES-335 three years ago than I did for my Moderns Eagle that I bought this spring. If you can still find any of the Nashville made ES-335’s, they are almost $2k more than the ME1. New R8’s are about the same price. R9’s go for $1.5-$2k more. And like PRS, you can pay as much as you are willing to spend if you want a Custom Collector’s Choice Lester Paul.

Aesthetically speaking, I don’t think you can beat a PRS. I have limited experience with PRS guitars but I am not sure the fancy woods add anything other than aesthetics. I know that statement alone could start a war here but I not interested in participating in that dead horse race.

I had a 2013 R9, and I agree its as good a guitar as Gibson has ever made. Like fancy woods or not, they cost more $$, and its the build quality I am talking about. Gibson cant touch PRS in QC. (And I dig Gibsons. I have a 2011 CS 359 and 69 Johnny Smith right now.) Dollar for dollar the PRS CU 22 semi hollow LTD or Walnut semi hollow (all solid woods, carved, brazzy board) eat the 359 up, and thats a very nice guitar for the price. Still, its stinking plywood! The walnut LTD sounds twice as big, and its a smaller guitar!

IMG_0422b_zps573e06e5.jpg

IMG_0430b_zps7c268157.jpg

IMG_04182_zpsd833cdd7.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back