Anyone else into Nylons?

GuitarAddict

No, not those sort, that’s a different forum….
Nylon picks.
I have this one guitar, my rosewood silver sky that’s very light and has always been difficult to eq. Either the neck pickup is too bright or of I get that right then the in between is all muddy. Ive done a few mods that have helped, Bonamasaa Bonnie pickups and saddles changed and they’ve all helped a bit then I dig in on a note high up and BAM! there go my eardrums again. Only guitar I have that does this.
I was reading stuff over lunch yesterday and a similar subject came up and the suggestion was to use nylon picks. I have about eleventy billion Bonamassa Jazz3 picks and I’ve never used them so I dug out a box and it has transformed my playing. I can now use dynamics like never before.
Also I alternate between using the tip for a bit more bite, or the rounded side bit (as per SRV) for an even mellower sound.
Seems to be that I’m finding a use for gear I’ve had for ages. Dug out my old Blackstar HT valve pedal for recording direct recently and it sounds amazing.
Anyway, anyone else using Nylons??

I think the Jazz III is a nylon pick. I used those for a while years ago. I probably have some laying around here somewhere. I moved over to a Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm pick years ago. That one just works for me. I wear the tip off of them and tend to use them longer than I should. It seems like every time I grab a new one I ask myself why I don't do that sooner. I have more recently found some value in using a pick that is a little thinner from the same line. I have some .73mm, .88mm as well as some 1.5mm and will grab one of them occasionally for a different feel and tone. These are made of delrin.

Never had the ice pick issue with my rosewood board Silver Sky, but I suppose a lot of things can factor into that. I’m not a single coil player primarily, but love to have that guitar available. It’s a beautiful sounding instrument.

I’ve long been a fan of having several picks of different materials and thicknesses available. Early on, a studio producer helped me in getting different tones on a recording just by changing picks, and it was a real eye opener. Nylon is definitely in the mix!

I want to like nylon picks, but they never quite feel right to me. (Too light or "flicky" feeling and/or the edges are too sharp, as if there's extra flashing from the molding process.) But I keep coming back to my primary tortex/delrin/ultex materials or lately even the good ol' Fender celluloid. [For reference, my preference is medium to medium-heavy thickness, somewhere between 0.73mm minimum and 1.0mm maximum.]

Oh NO!!!!
Now i wanna try them too. I’ve got pick choice overload.
Allow me to make the pick choice overload worse....
The Stubby jazz 3s have a much different feel but I feel have a better attack
If you do prefer the feel of the Jazz III nylons then I would recommend The Winspear Shiv Mini III they area expensive but are amazingly good

If any of y'all like the shape of the Jazz III's, but want it a little bigger OR you don't like nylon particularly, check out any of the "Flow" options from Dunlop. (I like the 1.0 mm Flow Standard, myself.)

Mostly I use Blue Chip picks, but I like to use different picks for certain things, including nylon, delrin, Tortex, and celluloid.

About 5 years ago my kids were in town for a visit, and kinda made fun of my thing for picks when I mentioned the variety of tones I could get to my son, who agreed with me but thought maybe I was a little too far out on a limb. So I got out my acoustic guitar, and went through a bunch. They all heard the differences.

I won't say they don't think I'm crazy anymore. They just think I'm crazy for other reasons! ;)

Mostly I use Blue Chip picks, but I like to use different picks for certain things, including nylon, delrin, Tortex, and celluloid.

About 5 years ago my kids were in town for a visit, and kinda made fun of my thing for picks when I mentioned the variety of tones I could get to my son, who agreed with me but thought maybe I was a little too far out on a limb. So I got out my acoustic guitar, and went through a bunch. They all heard the differences.

I won't say they don't think I'm crazy anymore. They just think I'm crazy for other reasons! ;)
Now acoustics is a different story! I find myself favoring the Winspear Bone Shiv for acoustic strumming. They don't work the same for electric not bad just not on the same level as Stubby Jazz IIIs
Nothing wrong with being a little crazy Les

I had a friend give me a blue chip. Never got the hype until I had this one. The difference on acoustic, like you said, is astounding.

It makes a big difference on big clean tones on electric too.

It's also one of the only "glossy" picks I can hold on to when my hands really get sweaty.

I had a friend give me a blue chip. Never got the hype until I had this one. The difference on acoustic, like you said, is astounding.

It makes a big difference on big clean tones on electric too.

It's also one of the only "glossy" picks I can hold on to when my hands really get sweaty.
Yep, I took a flyer and bought one, and they're pretty outstanding. In fact, my 6 year old Blue Chips are still like-new, zero wear that I can discern. I mean, that's kind of incredible! I used to go through two Tortex picks in one session!

But most important, they produce a sweet-sounding note. I use them on my acoustic and electrics. As I said, I still use the other stuff when I want something unusual, but 99% of the time it's the BCs.

They're very solid, the glide through the strings easily, and like you, I don't drop them. I keep 3-4 in the pick wallets in each case.

Yep, I took a flyer and bought one, and they're pretty outstanding. In fact, my 6 year old Blue Chips are still like-new, zero wear that I can discern. I mean, that's kind of incredible! I used to go through two Tortex picks in one session!

But most important, they produce a sweet-sounding note. I use them on my acoustic and electrics. As I said, I still use the other stuff when I want something unusual, but 99% of the time it's the BCs.

They're very solid, the glide through the strings easily, and like you, I don't drop them. I keep 3-4 in the pick wallets in each case.
I bought a couple several years ago after you shared your thoughts on them. Like yours, mine have zero wear. Of course, that could be because I barely play guitar anymore.........:(

Back