Guitar strings,

Gerryg

Hi guys I know this is a weird question to ask here but I have little choice, so here goes…

I have a small parlor guitar, with nylon strings, it’s a Pepe Romero jr. And I’ve been using La Bella, Pepe Romero strings, as recommended by him.

The problem I’m having is they don’t last long at all, I will install a new set play off and on, for a month or so, then one of the strings, mostly the low E string has failed, seems they just pull apart. At the bridge end, no place else’s with no visible sharp edges in the saddle itself to cause a point to pull apart, so that’s a little baffling.

I have a few guitars in my rotation, but between this and my S2 594, they get the most playing time, so it not sitting very long.

I’m actually looking for a longer lasting strings, so my $17 per set can be enjoyable a little longer.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is probably too obvious to be the problem, but just in case.

Many wound nylon strings are very tight on one end, and a bit loose on the other end. You have to tie the tight end at the bridge. The loose end will be excess after it is secure on the peg.

I’ve used other La Bella strings and probably a dozen other type and never had the issue you describe at the bridge.

Does the string break happen at the same length from the ball end of the string? If so, that points to a burr. Does the string go throug the body with a pin to hold it down? If so, does the pin have a burr? Check if the pin goes extra deep into the bridge hole, maybe the burr is on the underside of the pin knob? Feel the string hole inside the body to see if there is a sharp edge happening there. You can also take a long length of dental floss and run it through the hole and work it back and forth and check it for shredding. If there is a sharp spot it may show it on the floss. You can also take a wound string and work it the same way to abrade down the opening too. Good luck!

This is probably too obvious to be the problem, but just in case.

Many wound nylon strings are very tight on one end, and a bit loose on the other end. You have to tie the tight end at the bridge. The loose end will be excess after it is secure on the peg.

I’ve used other La Bella strings and probably a dozen other type and never had the issue you describe at the bridge.
I have noticed this at one end Low E, always un raveled a bit, so this has been the end I ussally put through the tuning peg , so most of it is trimmed off after setting the knot.

It’s kinda weird what I have seen with almost every set of strings, it appears to always break around level with the sound hole, and not anywhere near the saddle so burrs and sharp edges are out.

Does the string break happen at the same length from the ball end of the string? If so, that points to a burr. Does the string go throug the body with a pin to hold it down? If so, does the pin have a burr? Check if the pin goes extra deep into the bridge hole, maybe the burr is on the underside of the pin knob? Feel the string hole inside the body to see if there is a sharp edge happening there. You can also take a long length of dental floss and run it through the hole and work it back and forth and check it for shredding. If there is a sharp spot it may show it on the floss. You can also take a wound string and work it the same way to abrade down the opening too. Good luck!
Thanks I give that a try..

It’s a through hole, style, so you knot one end, and insert from the inside, and pull back through the bridge. The failure usually occurs further away, I even suspect my thumb nail, might cause a point of weakening, then one day it just goes. All speculation unless it happens to someone else I guess, I looking for alternatives for strings to try.

My acoustic hard case is lined with soft fabric which touches the strings when I close the cover. Just a thought, could there be something sharp below the stuffing in the lid of the guitar case? A crack perhaps or some support rib loose? Be careful feeling with your hand so you don’t get cut…

Thanks, my inspection has turning up no visible sharp edges or burrs in the main contact points. I.E. saddle groves, nut groves etc,…

I have a D string showing some early pulling apart, which is what happens making with the low E string…frustrating

I’m ordering a set of D’Addario XT , coated strings to try, they have a steel core, so this may help.

They claim longer life so we’ll see, I like going back and forth between classical guitar to electric, so when this one’s waiting it’s turn, it may stay attached.

Thanks for your suggestions I’m looking at everything

Thanks for the heads up on this, it’s not in a case very much, and I try to play it every day if possible.

I’m noticing the D string starting to pull apart just after it exits the bridge. Before it touches the saddle.

I’m thinking these might be to fragile for my current needs.

Looking into D’Addario XT, strings. Same normal tension, so no conflicts there. But they do have a steel core, vs Nylon fibers.

Will report back when I have them on, and tuned.

Thanks

I have no idea about nylon strings, sorry.
But I do know Pepe Romero Jr’s cousin, Pepe Roni.
I thought his uncle‘s name was Pepe la Pew…
on the subject of classical strings, I’ve always had very good results with D’addario Pro Arte’s. No issues. Very high quality and I love their tone….

The strands of Nylon fiber in the core could be breaking because of a severe angle of bend where the string transitions over the bridge. If the end of the string has a ball on it or a knot the fibers would be locked together. When the string is bent over the bridge the fibers on the outside of the bend radius have to travel farther than the fibers on the inside of the bend radius and there is a high stress point. So the fibers would break off over time, making the core essentially thinner and thinner until the string gives way. We see this in crane cables where the hook is cut off with a torch rather than a shear or saw to enable the crane to be disassembled for travel to the next job. The torch essentially welds the strands of the cable together, and when the hook is reattached the cable fails under heavy load because the strands can’t slide as the cable bends. (My dad was a crane inspector.) Anyway, seems like choosing a different make and type of string is worth trying out.

I think I discovered my problem, found a great site, Tonebase, all classical guitar stuff, but a lot of info on strings,

Most modern classical guitar strings are made of nylon, with the trebles (strings 1, 2, and 3) made of a single transparent nylon string and the basses (strings 4, 5, and 6) made of hundreds of individual strands of nylon that have been wrapped with silver or bronze plated copper thread.

These are delicate, and wrong tension will definitively cause failure, such as what I’m experiencing,. Without going too extreme of getting tension gauge, I’m going to try a more expensive string with metal cores, vs. strands of nylon,…

Tone might be different, but we’ll see, its going to be fun trying…

I think I discovered my problem, found a great site, Tonebase, all classical guitar stuff, but a lot of info on strings,

Most modern classical guitar strings are made of nylon, with the trebles (strings 1, 2, and 3) made of a single transparent nylon string and the basses (strings 4, 5, and 6) made of hundreds of individual strands of nylon that have been wrapped with silver or bronze plated copper thread.

These are delicate, and wrong tension will definitively cause failure, such as what I’m experiencing,. Without going too extreme of getting tension gauge, I’m going to try a more expensive string with metal cores, vs. strands of nylon,…

Tone might be different, but we’ll see, its going to be fun trying…
That's what I'd do. I've never owned a nylon string guitar or I would have been glad to share any knowledge I had. But this is what I would have suggested. Good luck.

String, A starting to pull apart…3 days of playing No stretching , just tuning,…

Back