Does anyone here use Rotosound strings?

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
I was given a free pack when I purchased the Bare Knuckle P90's I just put in my SE Soapbar Singlecut.

I needed strings so i put the 10 - 46 set of Rotos on.

They sound different to me than the DAddarios I normally use. More twangy but not as bright.

Last edited:
I've used them on bass , but prefer DR's .
I like them on a bass. John Entwhistle and Chris Squier come to mind. They'll eat up frets though!

Hoping maybe some players from the UK have tried the Roto guitar strings.

This is my first set, they were free so I put them on.

They have a unique sound.

Plus there was a note that came with the pickups from BK saying their pickups sound best with 10 - 46 Rotos.

Last edited:
I have a few sets in a drawer that I’ve also gotten included with pickup purchases from BKP. I don’t get them at all. I’ve tried them on a couple different guitars and they’ve all felt and sounded really strange. Dull and lifeless. Very different from most other strings I’ve tried. I was fairly certain that the first set I tried was from a bad batch until I tried another set on a different guitar.

I have a few sets in a drawer that I’ve also gotten included with pickup purchases from BKP. I don’t get them at all. I’ve tried them on a couple different guitars and they’ve all felt and sounded really strange. Dull and lifeless. Very different from most other strings I’ve tried. I was fairly certain that the first set I tried was from a bad batch until I tried another set on a different guitar.
I have to agree.

At first I thought it was the brand new pickups.

The Rotos and the BKPs get a sound that makes my guitar twang like a Gretsch with flatwound strings.

Kind of a Rockabilly thing. 50's/60's rock and country.

That's ok. I always liked Duane Eddy!

Last edited:
I have to agree.

At first I thought it was the brand new pickups.

The Rotos have a sound that makes my guitar twang like a Gretsch with flatwound strings.

Kind of a Rockabilly thing. 50's/60's rock and country.

It's ok. I always liked Duane Eddy!

Quintessential ‘50s piece! Drenched in reverb (even the sax!), simple arrangement, vocals in background going with sax come in just when things get boring.

I still like it. Now I know what strings to pick when a client asks for a ‘50s vibe!

So what the only time it happened was 30 years ago? I person has to be prepared!

Quintessential ‘50s piece! Drenched in reverb (even the sax!), simple arrangement, vocals in background going with sax come in just when things get boring.

I still like it. Now I know what strings to pick when a client asks for a ‘50s vibe!

So what the only time it happened was 30 years ago? I person has to be prepared!
When things get boring that's when we modulate up 1/2 step!

I doubt there's any Rotosound strings on these guitars, but this is what my PRS SE Soapbar sounds like with Rotos and BKPs.

Makes me want to strum some cowboy chords.

Three chords and the truth...just like the blues.

Last edited:
I was given a free pack when I purchased the Bare Knuckle P90's I just put in my SE Soapbar Singlecut.

I needed strings so i put the 10 - 46 set of Rotos on.

They sound different to me than the DAddarios I normally use. More twangy but not as bright.

Theres a recent-ish Paul David Youtube video of his test of a dozen or more string brands on his strat. He picks the Rotos as a finalist. Perhaps they were 9’s.

I doubt there's any Rotosound strings on these guitars, but this is what my PRS SE Soapbar sounds like with Rotos:

Makes me want to strum some cowboy chords.

Three chords and the truth...just like the blues.
I've loved that tune since the day it came out. Just perfect!

I used Rotosound's for years on bass. Yeah, it's like playing with a file on your frets but what a sound! The real bummer was putting a new set on my bass and one of the string would be completely dead. No zip or zing at all. This was a common complaint with many bass players and it was never the same string that was dead. I'd say one out of every 4 sets would have a dead string. Wonder if that's gotten any better.

Never tried their guitar string though. Wonder if the guitar string ever had or have the same issue.

I used Rotosound's for years on bass. Yeah, it's like playing with a file on your frets but what a sound! The real bummer was putting a new set on my bass and one of the string would be completely dead. No zip or zing at all. This was a common complaint with many bass players and it was never the same string that was dead. I'd say one out of every 4 sets would have a dead string. Wonder if that's gotten any better.

Never tried their guitar string though. Wonder if the guitar string ever had or have the same issue.
Yeah they’ll ruin the frets of a bass in a short time. But what a sound!

BKS recommends the Rotos for the Nantucket P90’s and provided a free set.

They’re worth trying for a uniquely deep country twang.

Fine for blues or just strumming chords too.

Might be a once in a lifetime experience or a valuable tone to add to your arsenal.

Back