A beautiful documentry my friends made on being a touring musician....

themike

A beautiful documentary my friends made on being a touring musician....

My friends are in a pretty large band when it comes to metal and they tour the world constantly. They play in front of thousands of people a night, in great venues to screaming fans but sadly.... it's not as glamorous as we think looking in from the outside. I can't tell you how many nights are spent texting them as they drive down some empty highway on the way to their next show with nothing but hundreds of miles in their way.

On their last tour our friend, and their drum tech, shot a documentry capturing them in a light that hasn't really been seen before. I thought it was so amazing and honest that I wanted to share it with my friends on here. Now while their band is extremely heavy in terms of music, the video isn't about that so I think anyone should be able to watch it and enjoy it.

And yes, the tattoo says "Evil Dead". He's a huge horror film fanatic! haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Just going to sit back and watch this. I love whitechapel and seeing all the effort that bands put in 'behind the scenes' only makes me respect them more.

Thanks guys - they're all really good guys and work very hard to do what they do. I was actually fortunate enough to help Alex design his signature guitar (yes, its a 7 string) which has turned out to be one of the fastest selling signature models in ESP history. We did a lot of research and talked to a LOT of people before finalizing the specs and apparently it's paid off.

I would be lying if I wasn't jealous that they get to play every night in a different city, but I also wouldn't be lying if I told you I liked having a bed to come home to every night and enough cash after a few steady paychecks to buy some new gear! haha

The entire film was shot by 1 person with his DSLR and a few minutes to spare in between songs over the course of a tour - he's definitely talented.

This is really cool!

It's funny, I'm getting a taste of the grind aspect of this with my son, who's currently on tour (I've got a thread on it in the other section). It's work, it's hard, it's not all sunglasses and glamour shots!

By the way, speaking of Evil Dead, the original movie was made by Sam Raimi who's from Detroit, and was scored by one of my friends, who later went on to score TV and other films.

I have experienced the whole "world is changing while you're not" aspect... but I never thought of it that way before. Cool short.

This is really cool!

It's funny, I'm getting a taste of the grind aspect of this with my son, who's currently on tour (I've got a thread on it in the other section). It's work, it's hard, it's not all sunglasses and glamour shots!

By the way, speaking of Evil Dead, the original movie was made by Sam Raimi who's from Detroit, and was scored by one of my friends, who later went on to score TV and other films.

Yeah, I can only imagine what its like for Jamie because 30STM obviously is on a much bigger scale so I imagine the shows are farther apart, the press is HUGE during off time (hours of interviews) and so on. You can be in the fanciest hotel every night and I'm sure it still feels like a prison if you just want to be home.

Thats awesome! As you can tell from the tattoo, that gent' is a HUGE fan haha

I have experienced the whole "world is changing while you're not" aspect... but I never thought of it that way before. Cool short.

I know, its crazy right? All this time I would be bummed that 5-10 of my good friends were always away but in reality, I should have imagined how they felt being away from everyone EXCEPT 5-10 people all the time..... its tough.

I loved the insight. I thought the artistry and cinematography was very very well done. Awesome.
That being said, I'm not a huge fan of cookie monster vocals. I mean, he's talented and all. I'm just not into it.
That being said (2.0), I will watch excellent vids and shows like this always and forever. Highly educational!
Thank you for sharing!!!

Yeah, I can only imagine what its like for Jamie because 30STM obviously is on a much bigger scale so I imagine the shows are farther apart, the press is HUGE during off time (hours of interviews) and so on. You can be in the fanciest hotel every night and I'm sure it still feels like a prison if you just want to be home.

Jamie is single, and I think he's learning a ton on this tour, having never mixed for broadcast before, so he's into it. The band seems to like being on tour.

Like the guys in the video, 30STM are really hard working, and this is their career. I think they understand what it takes to keep it going.

Back