RUSH …. It’s time

In case anyone didn't know about it, the Hal Leonard "Rush The Complete Scores" book is phenomenal. It's got complete transcriptions of vocal, guitar, bass, drums, and keys for all the songs it covers, and it's a pretty good representation of their entire catalog. Caveat: no Rush set list is ever perfect, and that applies here. I doubt I'll learn it all in my lifetime, especially if I decide I need to take up drums for completeness.

In case anyone didn't know about it, the Hal Leonard "Rush The Complete Scores" book is phenomenal. It's got complete transcriptions of vocal, guitar, bass, drums, and keys for all the songs it covers, and it's a pretty good representation of their entire catalog. Caveat: no Rush set list is ever perfect, and that applies here. I doubt I'll learn it all in my lifetime, especially if I decide I need to take up drums for completeness.

I missed this. Ordered! Thanks!

I started learning Rush songs in the 80's using a reel-to-reel recorder and cutting the speed down to half with the IPS switch, along with wearing out 2 copies of the "Exit.... Stage Left" VHS tape for visual reference. There were no accurate tabs out there and no YouTube so I learned a lot of the chord voicings by ear (i.e. wrong). In the 90's I was collecting bootleg VHS recordings that showed Lifeson's hand positioning on the neck and that helped a lot. Nowadays, there are so many Rush DVDs out there, along with tons of YouTube videos (and all of them seem to be doing it differently) so I try to average all of these out into what is the most comfortable and accurate to my ear.

I find the beauty in Lifeson's playing is in the subtleties in the way he chooses his chord voicings, arpeggios, etc. and I am constantly reviewing and refining my interpretations. As for solos, it is impossible to get it note for note, especially fast stuff like Freewill or La Villa Strangiato. Again, I try to make an average of what I hear, what I see, how others are playing it and what I can physically play. The most important is to try to get the feel or "spirit" of the solo. I sometimes see guys who can shred like Petrucci and they tend to try to "outdo" Lifeson, but since I am not capable of that, I am just trying to follow the record as best I can. Here is Freewill from one of our rehearsals a few weeks ago:
First, great job on the song!

About the rest of it: I started off playing most Rush songs with more basic chords, then revised/added notes to the chords as I learned them. He was playing different chords than I was used too, and while I clearly heard them, I had to go in and figure out what he was adding. And yes, I did hear songs get played slightly different ways on different versions, in respect of the chord structure. As for the solos, I played them note for note, based on my favorite version (USUALLY the live one!). Also, having seen them live as many times as I have, I was able to see songs multiple times and hear what he "normally" did live, vs. what was on the record.

And completely agree about the lack of video/tab/ etc. info to help figure out some of those chords. Had to do it all be ear and more than once would see a video, realize he was playing something in a different position and suddenly it got easier to play it correctly. LOL

LOVE the thread, and while it started as a discussion of just the albums, I LOVE the added stuff it has taken on. The videos, how to play the songs conversations, etc. have added greatly to a great thread!

Last edited:
And completely agree about the lack of video/tab/ etc. info to help figure out some of those chords. Had to do it all be ear and more than once would see a video, realize he was playing something in a different position and suddenly it got easier to play it correctly. LOL

Yeah, been there! The fast single-note riff in Natural Science gave me fits for years, especially on the lowest string before the riff repeats. It was a revelation when I realized he was playing the whole thing on like the 4th-5th-7th frets, and it was completely symmetrical played at that position. I'd been playing on the 0th-2nd-4th frets one string higher and that's why it was never flowing right.

This is what I used to learn Rush tunes back in the day. Anyone else?

As you can see, there was no tab and the music was for piano, so it was an octave lower than for guitar. It was a lot work figuring that stuff out. The sheet music itself was pretty accurate.

oc060s4bhszx5hnx1lzu.jpg

o0ybg7yu1qnttwcscyxz.jpg

Yeah, been there! The fast single-note riff in Natural Science gave me fits for years, especially on the lowest string before the riff repeats. It was a revelation when I realized he was playing the whole thing on like the 4th-5th-7th frets, and it was completely symmetrical played at that position. I'd been playing on the 0th-2nd-4th frets one string higher and that's why it was never flowing right.
You mean the Hyperspace section? I always played it around the second fret. I'll have to try it further up. Btw, if you want a challenge try playing it in 16th notes!

This is what I used to learn Rush tunes back in the day. Anyone else?

As you can see, there was no tab and the music was for piano, so it was an octave lower than for guitar. It was a lot work figuring that stuff out. The sheet music itself was pretty accurate.

oc060s4bhszx5hnx1lzu.jpg

o0ybg7yu1qnttwcscyxz.jpg
Yup, that was the first music book I ever got, Christmas 1983 - still have it. It went up to and including Signals and had a short bio in the beginning (back then it was a lot harder finding out biographical info on Rush). I couldn't sight-read, but I knew enough to decipher the individual notes and write them down. My copy is all annotated with the notes written down in pencil. :)

Next 3-album block, it took me a while to get to these, but trying to analyze these albums from a new objective perspective is interesting. I'm skipping over the live releases.

2112 (1976)
This was the critical make-or-break album, and the one where I feel they truly became Rush, as their decision to remain true to themselves despite what the record company wanted finally paid off. They also got the side-long epic formula down, with a far more cohesive and structured epic track format than the "Fountain of Lamneth". I love the way all the different themes from the parts find their way into the Overture, same approach they would used on the Hemispheres Prelude two years later. The songwriting was also a lot more emotional and meaningful, and less experimental or showy than COS. They were evolving from instrumentalists to songwriters. 2112 conveys a lot of emotion and energy to go along with the message, and it aged reasonably well (although the Ayn Rand references did get them nasty criticism from Barry Miles of the NME at the time). Side B is a bit overshadowed by side A but has a lot of little unplayed gems. "A Passage to Bangkok" has been a fan favourite, but "Twilight Zone" and "Lessons" demonstrate some original themes and evocative music and soloing. The production piece (not meant for live performance) "Tears" shows Lee's lyrical side and gives a preview of the preview of the the role keyboards would eventually play in filling out the song. My favorite on that side is "Something for Nothing", just a powerhouse of a song with a strong, driving bass line and unapologetic individualistic message. Of the first 4 albums, this was the one that was on my turntable the most often.

A Farewell to Kings (1977)
Of all the album intervals over the years (especially the ones that contained a live release), this is the one that demonstrated the most astronomical musical growth - a quantum leap forward. It's almost like listening to a different band. Lifeson brought in a whole palette of different guitar sounds, adding more classical, acoustic and 12-string electric to the mix. His soloing takes a new direction, sometimes with angular, disjointed stabs in songs like the title track or Cygnus X-1, or the more signature soaring scales in Closer to the Heart and Xanadu that became known as "Lifesonisms". Peart brings in an orchestra's worth of percussion and Lee adds more synthesizers (giving a taste of the direction to come) and doubles on rhythm guitar. The songs are rich, layered, inspired and chock full of tasty guitar licks. The arrangements are lush and quite interesting to see reproduced live by the band. I still find Cygnus X-1 a bit too angular and obtuse for my taste, but Xanadu will forever be THE master track on the album, and a favorite to hear (and play) live. Closer to the Heart also did well as a single, which helped propel the band's profile, but I have to admit a strong dislike for this song for some reason, partly because I see it almost and the antithesis of Rush songs, partly because I hate playing it but I have to :). "Madrigal" is the production piece here, seeming to pick up where "Rivendell" and "Tears" left off, and "Cinderella Man" is another great example pf those crazy Rush turn-on-a-dime timing changes and that classic angular Lifeson soloing.

Hemispheres (1978)
In the search for a prog-rock creative outlet, it is possible to overdo it, and Hemispheres was almost the straw that broke Rush's back. The result is a brilliant if somewhat misunderstood prog album, and the last side-long epic we would see from Rush. I have to admit, it took me a while to grow into this album, it was a bit of an acquired taste at first. Not easily accessible to my growing ears at the time, I rediscovered it by accident in a tape left in my truck in 1994, right around the time I was starting to get involved in Rush tribute bands. I developed a new appreciation for it since first hearing it 11 years before. The arrangements are extremely complex, the mythological themes a bit obscure, but the end result is pretty powerful and moving. Angular and evocative, with chorus-drenched guitar tones, classical guitar breaks, some extremely busy bass playing and mind-bending rhythm and percussion, it's a treat for any musical ear. I love the way the title track soars, then crashes, and finally picks up in an epic flourish. "The Trees" runs the gamut in terms of dynamics with a gentle classical intro giving way to heavy riffs, a quiet middle section leading into heavy riffage punctuated by percussion, representing some sort of woodland revolution reminiscent of ByTor. The highlight for me is La Villa Strangiato, probably the most innovative and difficult Rush song to play on guitar. The way Lifeson was able to translate his nightmares into music so eloquently really shows his strengths as a songwriter. The solos are evocative and heartfelt with their dynamics - the song just builds up to an exciting crescendo and it is always a pleasure to see or play live. One of my bands attacked this album as a live show presentations and we barely avoided falling flat on our faces, but it was fun to try. In this regard, regardless of the directions they took in later years, this album remains Rush's one true pure progressive masterpiece.

Last edited:
Next 3-album block, it took me a while to get to these, but trying to analyze these albums from a new objective perspective is interesting. I'm skipping over the live releases.

2112 (1976)
This was the critical make-or-break album, and the one where I feel they truly became Rush, as their decision to remain true to themselves despite what the record company wanted finally paid off. They also got the side-long epic formula down, with a far more cohesive and structured epic track format than the "Fountain of Lamneth". I love the way all the different themes from the parts find their way into the Overture, same approach they would used on the Hemispheres Prelude two years later. The songwriting was also a lot more emotional and meaningful, and less experimental or showy than COS. They were evolving from instrumentalists to songwriters. 2112 conveys a lot of emotion and energy to go along with the message, and it aged reasonably well (although the Ayn Rand references did get them nasty criticism from Barry Miles of the NME at the time). Side B is a bit overshadowed by side A but has a lot of little unplayed gems. "A Passage to Bangkok" has been a fan favourite, but "Twilight Zone" and "Lessons" demonstrate some original themes and evocative music and soloing. The production piece (not meant for live performance) "Tears" shows Lee's lyrical side and gives a preview of the preview of the the role keyboards would eventually play in filling out the song. My favorite on that side is "Something for Nothing", just a powerhouse of a song with a strong, driving bass line and unapologetic individualistic message. Of the first 4 albums, this was the one that was on my turntable the most often.

A Farewell to Kings (1977)
Of all the album intervals over the years (especially the ones that contained a live release), this is the one that demonstrated the most astronomical musical growth - a quantum leap forward. It's almost like listening to a different band. Lifeson brought in a whole palette of different guitar sounds, adding more classical, acoustic and 12-string electric to the mix. His soloing takes a new direction, sometimes with angular, disjointed stabs in songs like the title track or Cygnus X-1, or the more signature soaring scales in Closer to the Heart and Xanadu that became known as "Lifesonisms". Peart brings in an orchestra's worth of percussion and Lee adds more synthesizers (giving a taste of the direction to come) and doubles on rhythm guitar. The songs are rich, layered, inspired and chock full of tasty guitar licks. The arrangements are lush and quite interesting to see reproduced live by the band. I still find Cygnus X-1 a bit too angular and obtuse for my taste, but Xanadu will forever be THE master track on the album, and a favorite to hear (and play) live. Closer to the Heart also did well as a single, which helped propel the band's profile, but I have to admit a strong dislike for this song for some reason, partly because I see it almost and the antithesis of Rush songs, partly because I hate playing it but I have to :). "Madrigal" is the production piece here, seeming to pick up where "Rivendell" and "Tears" left off, and "Cinderella Man" is another great example pf those crazy Rush turn-on-a-dime timing changes and that classic angular Lifeson soloing.

Hemispheres (1978)
In the search for a prog-rock creative outlet, it is possible to overdo it, and Hemispheres was almost the straw that broke Rush's back. The result is a brilliant if somewhat misunderstood prog album, and the last side-long epic we would see from Rush. I have to admit, it took me a while to grow into this album, it was a bit of an acquired taste at first. Not easily accessible to my growing ears at the time, I rediscovered it by accident in a tape left in my truck in 1994, right around the time I was starting to get involved in Rush tribute bands. I developed a new appreciation for it since first hearing it 11 years before. The arrangements are extremely complex, the mythological themes a bit obscure, but the end result is pretty powerful and moving. Angular and evocative, with chorus-drenched guitar tones, classical guitar breaks, some extremely busy bass playing and mind-bending rhythm and percussion, it's a treat for any musical ear. I love the way the title track soars, then crashes, and finally picks up in an epic flourish. "The Trees" runs the gamut in terms of dynamics with a gentle classical intro giving way to heavy riffs, a quiet middle section leading into heavy riffage punctuated by percussion, representing some sort of woodland revolution reminiscent of ByTor. The highlight for me is La Villa Strangiato, probably the most innovative and difficult Rush song to play on guitar. The solos are evocative and heartfelt with their dynamics - the song just builds up to an exciting crescendo and it is always a pleasure to see or play live. One of my bands attacked this album as a live show presentations and we barely avoided falling flat on our faces, but it was fun to try. In this regard, regardless of the directions they took in later years, this album remains Rush's one true pure progressive masterpiece.
Great thoughts on these albums. Just spot on. I have to say, AFTK is my desert island album, and if I could only listen to one song, it would be Xanadu.

I'm falling down on the job and have completely neglected this thread. I like Rush.

So, some of you have mentioned the harder Rush songs to play. What do you consider the easiest? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Rhythms, solos, or complete song don't miss nuthin? Passage to Bangkok is pretty easy start to finish I would venture. And super cool!

So, some of you have mentioned the harder Rush songs to play. What do you consider the easiest? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Off the top of my head, I think Subdivisions is fairly simple and the lead isn't fast. New World Man doesn't have a lead, nor do Witch Hunt or Vital Signs. The lead in Closer to the Heart is pretty straightforward too.

Last edited:
Back