favorite Dream Theater album?

watelessness

in honor of our esteemed colleague's return, what us your favorite Dream Theater album? for me it is _Train Of Thought_. i dont know what it is but i think it is their strongest, most solid end-to-end offering and i can listen to this for hours.

NOTE: if you dont know what an album is you're too young to post in this thread

In my case it has to be Metropolis Pt2. Incredible compositions, engaging story, brilliant and heartfelt soloing and an amazing live performance.

Afer that my interest on the band steadily decreased, although there are some good albums like Train Of Thought and Octavarium. I have not been able to finish listening some of their more recent output (they bore me a lot!), but Mr Petrucci remains one of my favorite guitar players ever.

I’m going to go with Black Clouds & Silver Linings. Tough choice, for sure. I like all of them, and the newest, View from the Top of the World is really strong.
It’s like choosing your favorite child LMAO well for me that’s easy I have one, but it’s really hard to choose just one favorite album. I have to confess I need to catch up on some of the later Dream Theater albums.

Train Of Thought kinda re-ignited my interest in them, and I was particularly into Distance Over Time. That said, you're asking favorite, so I'd have to go with Awake. I was blown away by the arrangements on Images & Words, then Awake comes along and takes all that and makes it HEAVY

Train Of Thought kinda re-ignited my interest in them, and I was particularly into Distance Over Time. That said, you're asking favorite, so I'd have to go with Awake. I was blown away by the arrangements on Images & Words, then Awake comes along and takes all that and makes it HEAVY
Such a great album!

Call me basic, but Images and Words has some darn fine songs on it.
It does, and that is why it is on the top of my list. Recently I started listing again to DT after a long time and the reason I mentioned composition is that metropolis has about the same amount of different phrases in songs - if that makes sense - however they blend better together. The transistions in I&W seem a little less coherent.

Back