Dream Theater news… Portnoy returns!

RickP

Established 1960, Still Not Dead

Looks like original drummer Mike Portnoy is back. Great for the band, as most agree he’s the guy for that band. Hate to see it for Mike Mangini, who’s a superb drummer and has carried them on to great successes as well. It’s good to see the changes appear to be happening amicably for all.

Always good to get the family back together. Good luck to them! @DreamTheaterRules

It was just a matter of time. Mangini is a f***ng beast, but sometimes something feels off, even if you can't put the finger in the reasons why...

Did Mangini quit or get ousted for him to return?
From what he says, he always looked at the gig as being a steward of what was built before him. That’s a great attitude, or at the least putting that face on it avoids creating ill will. He’s been way more than just a “fill-in, though, and they’ve had a lot of success with him there. A great, great drummer that was among the few who could step in behind Portnoy and not have a fall-off. And, from the way the change-back is being handled, he’s a hell of a decent person to boot.

My take is that everyone involved is cool with it, so there’s no need for fans of either (or both) drummers to get twisted or drum up (yep, I said that) bad vibes about the change. Perhaps they’re going for something Portnoy brings, or some other thing. It’s impossible for us to know until they say it.

Mike M won’t be without a gig any longer than he wants to be. That’s a certainty.

After Petrucci had Portnoy play the drums on his 2020 solo album, and Portnoy teamed up with JP and Jordan Rudess to release LTE 3 in 2021, I almost felt like it was a sure thing for him to rejoin the band. Plus, Portnoy toured with JP in 2022 supporting that solo album. Had to happen. Happy to see it!

From what he says, he always looked at the gig as being a steward of what was built before him. That’s a great attitude, or at the least putting that face on it avoids creating ill will. He’s been way more than just a “fill-in, though, and they’ve had a lot of success with him there. A great, great drummer that was among the few who could step in behind Portnoy and not have a fall-off. And, from the way the change-back is being handled, he’s a hell of a decent person to boot.

My take is that everyone involved is cool with it, so there’s no need for fans of either (or both) drummers to get twisted or drum up (yep, I said that) bad vibes about the change. Perhaps they’re going for something Portnoy brings, or some other thing. It’s impossible for us to know until they say it.

Mike M won’t be without a gig any longer than he wants to be. That’s a certainty.
Mangini said he viewed his role as filling the drummer part of what Portnoy did, not all the other stuff. So Portnoy will likely be more involved w/the writing and behind-the-scenes stuff.

I am surprised, but not shocked. I'm vested enough in the band that I "want" to know why the change, but agree with Rick that as long as everybody is cool with it, it's nothing for me to worry about. I've seen them live 3 times with Mangini, and obviously it's been a while since I've seen them with Portnoy, but the bands sound live and on albums did change. When Portnoy was there the mix was drum heavy live and on albums, and much lighter after the change. Portnoy was also known to have pushed more and more for "heavier" stuff. So, it will be interesting to see what is next for the band.

Hey, after the first few albums, I was DEVASTATED when Kevin Moore left, and all that got us was one of the most incredible keyboardists ever. Maybe JP will switch back to Recto's now and get that gut punch grind like he had on "As I Am."

I too am surprised but not shocked. I always had my own personal take that Portnoy could be overbearing to be in a band with....if that's the case, hopefully they can make it work.

Mangini was/is incredible though. I hope he is sincerely ok with the whole deal.

To me the most interesting potential drummer succeeding Portnoy was German Marco Minnemann, who's now with Guthrie Govan ⅔ of the band Aristocrats. Mangini is a good drummer, but not outstanding with a decent sound.
Therefore good for DT to have Portnoy back aboard.

Back