Dream Theater news… Portnoy returns!

I like Rudess......and don't care about Petrucci's appearance.

I've not always been a LaBrie disliker, absolutely loved his work on Images....and various other songs on most albums over the years, but I saw them live last year and it was not good.

Rudess is an absolutely incredible talent on keys, O you guitar player people. To the point that as a very young kid he was in Julliard's pre-college program, impossible for most to even be considered for.

As long as I don't have to hear Portnoy's Complaint, I'm good.

Seeing Portnoy rejoin DT got me straight out of bed. We'll see if 13 years was enough time to get everything he needed out of his system.

Mangini shredded the auditions for his spot on the throne; so many great talents considered, but he owned it from the word go. He showed a fire and energy that was really cool, too. Throughout his tenure in DT, I feel like I sensed he wasn't the perfect fit, although he played incredibly well. His parts for his first DT album were essentially written for him, and retained a bit of the Portnoy sauce the band is known for. Subsequent recordings seemed to miss that somewhat. Something about Mangini also just didn't seem to gel with the band's chemistry. It's tempting to pity Mangini, but he did what perhaps no one else could do in Portnoy's spot. It will be entertaining to see how long DT:portnoy 2.0 lasts. Maybe he'll get the last laugh. It all depends on how often LaBrie forgets his vocals.

That said, I'm excited for the heavier DT vibe to resurface. The Black Clouds and Silver Linings album was just fantastic. More of that, please.

Rudess is an absolutely incredible talent on keys, O you guitar player people. To the point that as a very young kid he was in Julliard's pre-college program, impossible for most to even be considered for.

His Talent Is Never In Question...

On top of being a keyboard genius, he's no slouch on guitar.

If you borrow one of @DreamTheaterRules kazoos, you can make it three
Kazoos! Heck, man, I can play the harmonica. Put it in one of those Bob Dylan/folkie harmonica holder contraptions, and boom! 3 badly played instruments at once!

Oh yes, I certainly did own one of those harmonica contraptions in the late '60s...

"Uh...late...1860s?"

"Did they have them in the 1660s? Asking for a friend."

Last edited:
I just dusted off my old DT records...and OMG, how good that Metropolis Pt. 2 Scenes From a Memory is...no, seriously, I knew it was a good record but I had forgotten it was so darn good! Truly timeless production and writing, could have been released this year.

Kazoos! Heck, man, I can play the harmonica. Put it in one of those Bob Dylan/folkie harmonica holder contraptions, and boom! 3 badly played instruments at once!

Oh yes, I certainly did own one of those harmonica contraptions in the late '60s...

"Uh...late...1860s?"

"Did they have them in the 1660s? Asking for a friend."
A harmonica and kazoo at the same time??? Always trying to one up us all, aren’t you, Les? My “ two kazoos at once “ trick would immediately lose its charm if you did that!

Please, for the sake of my upcoming world tour, DON’T!

Back