release music to Spotify, Apple, Amazon etc.

ArtieAndTheFish

Has anyone here released their music on Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon etc.? Were you (and your band) an established artist or a new artist? Did you release an album or singles? I see a lot of YT people saying it's better to release singles spread out about every 6 weeks, but if you are a new artist won't it look weird you have only a handful of songs published for months and months as you build your releases?

Has anyone here released their music on Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon etc.? Were you (and your band) an established artist or a new artist? Did you release an album or singles? I see a lot of YT people saying it's better to release singles spread out about every 6 weeks, but if you are a new artist won't it look weird you have only a handful of songs published for months and months as you build your releases?
I use a two pronged approach on official releases. I use Distrokid.com to release to all the online streaming platforms. This includes Spotify, Apple iTunes, Amazon, Tidal, etc. I think they place the music in about 25 or so different services. I also release the material using Bandcamp.com. That service allows me to sell more directly to consumers and it costs zero dollars to set up and offer you music and merchandise. They do of course take a cut of all sales, but it is reasonable (I think last time I looked, it was about 30%). Let me know if you would like any additional details on these two services!!!

IMO All The Services Rob The Artist Blind. Your "Profits" For Their "Marketing And Visibility" Which The consumer Has To Stumble On Anyway.. I Like Controlling My Own Course In All Things In Life But That Is Me And I Have Been Around The Block Way To Many Times. YMMV

Society Today Is Single Driven So As Long As A Song Is Good I Don't Think The Consumer Is Overly Concerned If You Don't Have A Huge Catalog Of Music. There Are Several Ways To Go About Things Now A Days And The Artist Has Far More Power And Options Than They Used To.

Last edited:
I use a two pronged approach on official releases. I use Distrokid.com to release to all the online streaming platforms. This includes Spotify, Apple iTunes, Amazon, Tidal, etc. I think they place the music in about 25 or so different services. I also release the material using Bandcamp.com. That service allows me to sell more directly to consumers and it costs zero dollars to set up and offer you music and merchandise. They do of course take a cut of all sales, but it is reasonable (I think last time I looked, it was about 30%). Let me know if you would like any additional details on these two services!!!

Did you release singles or albums? How much time between releases?

Did you release singles or albums? How much time between releases?
I have released both under each platform. 40+ singles, 3 full albums. As for spacing, it was not predicated on any specific marketing strategy, it was simply based on when I had something ready to be released and/or special dates in my life. First release (single) was Oct 31, 2014. First album Jan 28, 2015 (also had this manufactured as a CD and released the hard copy as well - all other releases have been digital distribution only). Second album Oct 31, 2015. Single April 2016 (Prince tribute song after his death). Single in April 2018. Many singles in 2021-2023. Album in June 2023. Here is the Bandcamp page for one of the 4 artist names I have released material under (but only the latest album - "Seven Suns Suite" - release is under this artist name):

https://MoondogWily.Bandcamp.com

The Best Thing To Do Is Start And Find The Way That Works For Your Musical Style And Audience. Until There Is Something Out There You Will Never Truly Know.

I released an electronic music album on the platforms you mention plus Tidal, in 2019, just before Covid. I've never done anything to promote it. I did it just to get the work out into the world.

But I get a report every month from Spotify and Tidal. In addition to the US, I get a few dozen streams in places I'd never have predicted each month. Brazil, Vladivostok Russia, Croatia, Spain, etc. I know it's silly to think that's worth mentioning, but it's cool that the work seems to connect with people in some way in diverse places.

I didn't do it for the money. I just felt like doing it. Tidal is the fairest to the artist in terms of royalties. But we're talking lunch money.

When I first released it, I got a call from a woman in Boston who wondered if I'd travel there and do an electronic music festival. However, it would have taken a small ensemble to perform it, and it seemed like a headache, so I declined her kind offer.

Of course I should have promoted the work, but I'm not a promoter, I'm a composer. And my current work is so different from the record I made. It's hard for me to promote it when I've changed direction substantially.

However, I'm working on a new set of recordings of hybrid electronic and orchestral stuff, and I'm hiring live players to do sessions to augment it. I'm still in the writing stage. Then I'll send it to an orchestrator, have the parts written out properly, and schedule some sessions. I'll put that out in the world as well.

Maybe I'll even promote it a little. I'm proud of the stuff I released, so at least I'm not embarrassed that I did it!

Plus, WTF, I'm almost old enough to open for The Rolling Stones' tour... ;)

I released an electronic music album on the platforms you mention plus Tidal, in 2019, just before Covid. I've never done anything to promote it. I did it just to get the work out into the world.

But I get a report every month from Spotify and Tidal. In addition to the US, I get a few dozen streams in places I'd never have predicted each month. Brazil, Vladivostok Russia, Croatia, Spain, etc. I know it's silly to think that's worth mentioning, but it's cool that the work seems to connect with people in some way in diverse places.

I didn't do it for the money. I just felt like doing it. Tidal is the fairest to the artist in terms of royalties. But we're talking lunch money.

When I first released it, I got a call from a woman in Boston who wondered if I'd travel there and do an electronic music festival. However, it would have taken a small ensemble to perform it, and it seemed like a headache, so I declined her kind offer.

Of course I should have promoted the work, but I'm not a promoter, I'm a composer. And my current work is so different from the record I made. It's hard for me to promote it when I've changed direction substantially.

However, I'm working on a new set of recordings of hybrid electronic and orchestral stuff, and I'm hiring live players to do sessions to augment it. I'm still in the writing stage. Then I'll send it to an orchestrator, have the parts written out properly, and schedule some sessions. I'll put that out in the world as well.

Maybe I'll even promote it a little. I'm proud of the stuff I released, so at least I'm not embarrassed that I did it!

Plus, WTF, I'm almost old enough to open for The Rolling Stones' tour... ;)
You mean like the local oldtimers you sometimes see opening for the new kid in town?

Could work... just sayin'

:p

Back