Time Machine

PRSAK

I am only an egg
In my never ending quest to convert my wife of 23 years into a metal-head, I subjected her to a super cool back to back playlist earlier from two of my all time favorites - Queensryche and Metallica. While it didn't exactly send my wife running for make-up and hairspray, it did get me thinking of the 1988 "Damaged Justice" tour that I MISSED. Man...Metallica (And Justice for All) and Queensryche (Operation Mindcrime) at their very prime. I can't really remember why/how I didn't make that show in Denver (where I was living at the time). I've been super fortunate to see some incredible shows in my lifetime but this one sticks out as a big omission. If I had a Time Machine, I think this is the tour I would go back and catch. What about you? Obviously any answer is valid but in typing this, I'm kind of putting a personal boundary on it and saying that I COULD have seen the artist/show and DIDN'T. So stuff like Led Zep first US tour or Hendrix at Montreaux don't really count for me. (But...of course...more wishes from the genie....!) Get in the Time Machine! Who you going to see??!!

ANY Ozzy show with Randy Rhoads.
Even though I’ve seen Metallica with Cliff Burton and SLAYER with Jeff Hanneman, I would love to do it again.
ABB with the original lineup. Hell, the early 90’s version with Warren and Woody would be pretty special, too.
This is just off the top of my head. There’s A LOT more…

EXCELLENT topic, btw.:)

I was offered a ticket to go and see SRV at Alpine Valley for what would be his last show in 1990. I turned it down because some friends had a gig that night and I wanted to support them. In some senses, I am glad that I did not go to that show, but of course also wish I had seen it! That is my time machine redo!!

I saw him at the Agora Ballroom in West Hartford, CT years ago, general admission and I was hanging on the stage Looking up at him. Ridiculously good show!

I was offered a ticket to go and see SRV at Alpine Valley for what would be his last show in 1990. I turned it down because some friends had a gig that night and I wanted to support them. In some senses, I am glad that I did not go to that show, but of course also wish I had seen it! That is my time machine redo!!
I was at that show. Tremendous! There are two that I really regret; Ozzy on the Blizzard tour in ‘81. And, due to an annual meeting for my company I missed the Jeff Beck / SRV show in ‘89. Fortunately, I did get to see Stevie 5 times.

Oh man....I do wish I could have seen SRV's last show. But I'm not sure I'd hop in the Time Machine knowing what I know was about to happen. I'd have cried the whole time. I did see him on his last tour with Jeff Beck and 3 other times including Red Rocks (x2) and on the Live Alive Tour in 86 at the Colorado State Fair. Front row - like 10 feet away! Didn't even know who he was at the time. Spur of the moment with a buddy from CU. Not even enough time to score some weed for the show! After Greg Allman Band finished (also awesome btw) we pushed up to the front (all GA then) and established our position. I looked down on the ground below me and, low and behold, a big 'ol virgin spleef! Smoked that and then got my first ever exposure to the genius and power of SRV! Mind thoroughly blown!!

In 9th grade my friend got tickets to Iron Maiden (Powerslave) and Twisted Sister (Stay Hungry) at the Spectrum in Philadelphia but my parents wouldn't let me go. :(

Here's the Iron Maiden set list:
  1. Intro – Churchill's Speech
  2. "Aces High" (from Powerslave, 1984)
  3. "2 Minutes to Midnight" (from Powerslave, 1984)
  4. "The Trooper" (from Piece of Mind, 1983)
  5. "Revelations" (from Piece of Mind, 1983)
  6. "Flight of Icarus" (from Piece of Mind, 1983)
  7. "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (from Powerslave, 1984)
  8. "Los'fer Words" (from Powerslave, 1984) (Dropped after 26 November 1984)
  9. "Powerslave" (from Powerslave, 1984)
  10. Guitar solo
  11. "The Number of the Beast" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982)
  12. "Hallowed Be Thy Name" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982)
  13. "22 Acacia Avenue" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982) (Dropped after 26 November 1984)
  14. "Iron Maiden" (from Iron Maiden, 1980)
  15. "Run to the Hills" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982)
  16. "Running Free" (from Iron Maiden, 1980)
  17. "Sanctuary" (from Iron Maiden, 1980)

In 9th grade my friend got tickets to Iron Maiden (Powerslave) and Twisted Sister (Stay Hungry) at the Spectrum in Philadelphia but my parents wouldn't let me go. :(

Here's the Iron Maiden set list:
  1. Intro – Churchill's Speech
  2. "Aces High" (from Powerslave, 1984)
  3. "2 Minutes to Midnight" (from Powerslave, 1984)
  4. "The Trooper" (from Piece of Mind, 1983)
  5. "Revelations" (from Piece of Mind, 1983)
  6. "Flight of Icarus" (from Piece of Mind, 1983)
  7. "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (from Powerslave, 1984)
  8. "Los'fer Words" (from Powerslave, 1984) (Dropped after 26 November 1984)
  9. "Powerslave" (from Powerslave, 1984)
  10. Guitar solo
  11. "The Number of the Beast" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982)
  12. "Hallowed Be Thy Name" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982)
  13. "22 Acacia Avenue" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982) (Dropped after 26 November 1984)
  14. "Iron Maiden" (from Iron Maiden, 1980)
  15. "Run to the Hills" (from The Number of the Beast, 1982)
  16. "Running Free" (from Iron Maiden, 1980)
  17. "Sanctuary" (from Iron Maiden, 1980)
I saw that tour! Accept opened for them. June of '85 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Go ahead, rub it in...
Ok, if you insist. I was 17 (a couple of weeks short of 18), and this was one of the shows I got to see for free. I won a radio contest from Griggs Music and radio station 97x in April of '85 that gave me 2 free tickets to any concert within 75 miles of Davenport, Iowa. Man, I saw dozens of concerts that year, and made some money selling the tickets for shows I didn't want to go to. Plus, I got to make a radio commercial for the contest the next year. What a great time to be 18!

Ok, if you insist. I was 17 (a couple of weeks short of 18), and this was one of the shows I got to see for free. I won a radio contest from Griggs Music and radio station 97x in April of '85 that gave me 2 free tickets to any concert within 75 miles of Davenport, Iowa. Man, I saw dozens of concerts that year, and made some money selling the tickets for shows I didn't want to go to. Plus, I got to make a radio commercial for the contest the next year. What a great time to be 18!
For some reason that doesn't make me feel any better. ;)

I saw a bunch of Bill Grahams 'Day on the Green' concerts, starting with the second one he ever did headlined by Zep but if I could add one it would be July '78 with AC/DC, Aerosmith, Van Halen ....

Screen-Shot-2023-09-06-at-7-39-02-AM.png

The almost went but didn't show I most regret is McCoy Tyner (jazz pianist, part of Coltrane's classic quartet). I really wanted to see him but wound up running sound that night. Later I found a friend went. TTyner came over, introduced himself, and hung out talking with her for a while. She said he turned out to be one of the nicest people she met.

One I went to but didn't work out was Albert Collins in Chicago. I had been looking forward to the show, arrived, and was surprised how empty it was. Turned out the band had bus trouble and couldn't make it. After a phone call, I believe with Collins, the bartender gave me a beer "on Albert." I regret never getting a chance to see him perform and say thanks for the beer.

For others, I wish I'd have gone to see the first Lollapalooza tour, Nirvana, The Cars, and Pat Metheny with Lyle Mays.

Back