2016 Approacheth - Who's Got "Big" Plans?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by LSchefman, Nov 13, 2015.

1. kingsleyd

kingsleyd New Member

Oh, s**t.

I might have to have plans after all. I'd need two volumes and two tones, though.

#41 kingsleyd, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2015
  2. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Those archtops sound really sweet! I don't play that clean, but I have a feeling that they'd be pretty amazing with the DG30 and a little "edge of grit"...

Hmmm. You're giving me big ideas here, too.

3. HANGAR18

HANGAR18 What Would Evel Knievel Do?

I think for 2016 that maybe I'll try to go one whole year without buying a new guitar. hahahaha

4. kingsleyd

kingsleyd New Member

Equally so my K&M/Kimock or Aether amps.

Yeah, I'm freaking out a bit here. I mean, look, I've got the SC HB Spruce (which, btw, I played on my gig last night and which really did it for me in a way it hadn't previously done in a band/gig situation) and a 1970 L-5CES so I really don't even come close to needing this one. But damn... ...it even looks fabulous to me, which the SC-15s, notably, do not.

5. daa2202

daa2202 New Member

Didn't do anything big in 2015 other than take delivery of a new Shishkov Ultimate ordered in 2014. But in early 2016 I have my eyes set on a Metropolous Metro-Plex amplifier.

I'm pretty well sated on the guitar front...nothing is calling out to me. All the PRS bases I'm interested in are fully covered. I could be tempted by a Custom 24 Floyd just for grins, but I can't get along with Pattern Thin necks, so that's a no-go.

6. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Has your new years resolution changed?:wink:

7. Texas_minor_blues

Texas_minor_blues Rosewood or Bust

2016 marks my big 4-0 was thinking maybe time to order a PS.....

8. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

Yeah, I kind of wish I hadn't seen it. I love my 99 Archtop, but really want to try this. It might stick better than the first one did.

9. kingsleyd

kingsleyd New Member

I also had a couple of Archtops for a while, one of which was the one they built for Floyd Scholz that's in the PRS book. I really wanted to love them but I really didn't. Not sure whether it was the pickups (I really REALLY never liked the Archtop pickups) or the double-cutaway design. Or maybe PRS didn't have the whole design/build as together then as they do now. Or maybe all of the above -- the partner to my new PS McCartyKDGT was a double-cutaway spruce Archtop with 58/15s. I played that one a bit when I was at the shop and it sounded & felt great. I still think I'd rather have a single-cutaway in that type of guitar.

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Nope. I don't ever follow through with the danged resolutions, so I stopped making them altogether about 400 years ago...

;)

But today I want one o' those new PS archtops!

That could change, of course.

11. rugerpc

rugerpc A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ

Isn't "Approacheth" a death metal band?

12. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

More accurately, if Mrs. B reads this and I state my intentions, then I'm guilty of premeditated guitar acquisition. I much prefer the "drive-by" GASsing (that would be what the kids call crop-dusting, right?) method.

With all this talk about cab and speakers, I'm already looking for a beat up 1960a or b cab and some Scumbacks...and a Vela. :biggrin:

#52 Boogie, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  13. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenführer

Well it is private stock, so they probably shouldn't give you too much grief about that. They might give me a hard time about staining it with vantablack, though.

14. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

If it isn't, it should be!

I'm 100% sure that if my wife read my posts, I wouldn't live to see 784.

But I like the cab and Vela plan a lot! I was blown away by the Vela at the 30th Event. Unfortunately (or fortunately for my continued survival, as the case may be) I already had the WL McCarty on order, and was in no position to press my luck.

However, there's always next year. :top:

Honestly, that PS SC Archtop has grabbed my attention! But then there's also the DG50...not to mention a 'hog neck McCarty to go with the maple one, and...well, it really never ends, does it?

#54 LSchefman, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  15. G-Man

G-Man New Member

I'm a little torn. I have my eye on a CE 22 that is in nice shape and just saw a McCarty on eBay for fairly cheap price with a few little chips on the edges.

16. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

Lets see Hmmm a 513 , something green , maybe a hollow body

17. kingsleyd

kingsleyd New Member

Oh I was thinking some kind of KD green! :biggrin:

18. FantasyMetal

FantasyMetal New Member

I am seriously torn right now about what to do. I was thinking lately I'd really like to have a semi-hollow PRS with a piezo (obviously the P245 falls into that category) but I really want it to be a P22 or P24 because I like the Custom body shape and scale length. Then of course I see that now you can get Purple Mist as an Artist Package option. So my choice falls into: Buy a used P22 or P24 Artist Package (since it won't be semi-hollow I won't pay full boat) and another used PRS, buy a P245 Artist Package Purple Mist (quilt, of course) with full Indian Rosewood Neck, or go Private Stock (look for an existing one that I can try, I mean, or perhaps used). The latter option is not particularly appealing to me as I live far removed from any dealer with a large(ish) PS inventory. Money isn't really a factor in my decision, other than looking to get something that I will be satisfied with (love my AP 408 and Custom 24)!

19. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I will help you sort this out.

If money isn't a factor, as you mention, and you don't want to order up a private stock made to your specs (perhaps you want to try before you buy?) the right thing to do is hop on an airplane (perhaps your private jet), go somewhere they have a large inventory of private stock PRS, and just freakin' take one home!

:top:

20. FantasyMetal

FantasyMetal New Member

Your post made me almost spit out my drink all over my phone. Thanks for giving me a good laugh (I really needed one today)! But perhaps I should have indicated that I am not, in fact, Scrooge McDuck!