New Pedal Day (NPD): Mary Cries

shinksma

What? I get a title?
A couple of weeks ago you may recall I got The Wind Through the Trees as a birthday gift from my wife - a very versatile pedal, IMHO. I already had the Horsemeat - exactly the dirt tone I wanted for many of my usual needs. (I sometimes use a RAT clone for my single coil tones.)

Well, I decided to round out the collection and ordered the Mary Cries - it arrived yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to mess with it until just now.

It does exactly what I expected, whish is exactly what I need: a nice subtle compression to boost up my single-note noodlings on single-coil guitars into dirt pedals a bit so they don't get lost compared to the strumming of chords, without having to jump on/off a boost pedal - instead this will be an always-on pedal for single-coils, probably.

I have no problem seeing the light "bloom" as it compresses, and I don't have the compression cranked (about 2 o'clock, with level at 9 o'clock for unity gain strumming). It is definitely a pedal you don't necessarily notice it is on and doing something until you turn it off, and your sound fades.

It's a fairly big enclosure for a two-knob function - dunno whether that is because the optical compression circuit simply needs that much room, or PRS decided to simplify their enclosure configurations and have the Horsemeat and Mary Cries the same size. (TWTTT is wider by 50%.)

I'll mess with it a bit more over the day, but I have a short gig this evening (with lots of waiting before and after, watching the other acts) so I probably won't get to fully explore it until tomorrow.

Maybe I'll go see how well it gets me into chicken-pickin' territory...

Oh, and my Mary Cries pedal was manufactured in July 2023, if the sticker with date-stamp on the bottom is any indication. Hopefully that means PRS continues to have these cranked out because they are selling well (vs all pedals having a date-stamp of Sept 2022 when they were first announced, because the first batch still hasn't sold-through...)

And maybe, just maybe, PRS will release some new pedal models.

Well, the response is just overwhelming, I don't know what to say...

I will ask this anyway to see if someone can help:

So I tried a few different settings to get that Chicken-Pickin' sound.

Except I don't really know how to play that style. I realize now it is a bit like asking the best settings for Van Halen type tapping when I've never tapped in my life. (To be honest, I still haven't mastered that technique, but I really haven't tried either.)

Does anyone have some quick handy YouTube tutorials or examples of how to play "Chicken-Pickin'" country style? Or specific songs I could go learn (with maybe hints as to what the picking technique needs to be)?

I can't help you with settings but this comp pedal is one I've been contemplating.

I just started using a comp pedal about 5 years ago because of recording.

I have a Barber Tone Press and I'm on the fence with it. Just looking for one that does the job really well.

Although I have a pedal board for the big stuff. My blues playing is me, a Soul Food, and an amp with just a tone and a volume. I heard all the sound samples of all the pedals and they’re definitely studio quality. Enjoy what you’ve got, my friend.

I don’t “ chicken-pick” but I really like this pedal, Hard to find a ‘bad’ setting. It’s staying!

Well, the response is just overwhelming, I don't know what to say...

I will ask this anyway to see if someone can help:

So I tried a few different settings to get that Chicken-Pickin' sound.

Except I don't really know how to play that style. I realize now it is a bit like asking the best settings for Van Halen type tapping when I've never tapped in my life. (To be honest, I still haven't mastered that technique, but I really haven't tried either.)

Does anyone have some quick handy YouTube tutorials or examples of how to play "Chicken-Pickin'" country style? Or specific songs I could go learn (with maybe hints as to what the picking technique needs to be)?

True Fire has a Johnny Hiland course with a chicken pickin' section. A couple of the chicken pickin' segments are free:

There are a couple other courses that have at least segments on chicken pickin', but Johnny's great at it.

If you're new and you sign up w/my referral code, we both get some True Fire cash. Just FYI.

Back