Your #1 vs. your Dream???

Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.
Well, makes me golden. Have a great set of guitars that are complementary and perfecr for my needs. Whenever I look at other (mainly) PRSi, I can appreciate their inherent hotness, mostly WL and up, but because I have already interesting core guitars (2x10's, korina, plain jane starla), I do not feel the urge to persue.

I find myself picking up my SE Zack Myers the most lately. It's got some mojo going on...

I remember getting PRS brochures in the 90s and lusted over the original Dragon. I think the 35th anniversary was the pinnacle. The best I can do is a core 10-top; next year...

I'm not really sure what a dream guitar for me would actually be.

I have a small collection currently but there have been some guitars that have been sent down the road because I didn't bond with them.

I think I'd like a dgt and I also think I might like a vela. I'd love more 80s prs stuff but hard to justify that kind of cash these days.

I'm about 3-4 years away from retirement and I'm thinking most of my music stuff will probably go. It was suggested that I hang on to my stuff for a little while to make sure my retirement plans don't change once I wade out into that water, probably pretty solid advice.

I still want to play post work career so I'll keep some stuff regardless of how things go.

If I was to buy a "dream guitar" something would have to go and I get anxiety just trying to pick one or two I'm comfortable letting go. That tells me mine are all keepers.

I have decided that when I retire I will order a new acoustic and it will be freakin nice one. I'm so happy with my core Angelus and will probably go that route.

For now, I'm happy with what I have guitar wise. I could see myself spending large cash on an amp to die for though.

My #1 is the AP/WL 594 DC, and it has been every bit the instrument I wanted, and that I believe it was intended to be. After having it in hand, the only way I could improve it would be a satin neck.

If you had asked me before the 594 came to be, what my dream was, it WAS the 594!!! Short scale, fat neck profile, doublecut, 2 piece bridge, 2 volume controls, 3 way toggle. Took me a while to come to terms with spending the money on myself (not to be confused with thinking the guitar was worth the price tag). Should’ve done it sooner, but also worth the wait.

Beyond that, I’d have to add to it, by giving it a narrowfield middle pickup, and a multi-tap version of the 58/15LT. But, I’m not sure how the position 2/4 tones would translate on a guitar with a fixed, 2 piece bridge. As long as I’m dreaming, let’s put a purple quilt on it… that’s my PS fantasy.

Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.
Ah, you see.. the key to life is happiness in your household.

maxresdefault.jpg

My 2006 PRS Johnny Hiland is my #1 right now.

I thought my dream guitar might be a JP 15 in Cerulean Blue, but I got one and I was wrong.

I have given into the fact that I am partial to PRS and Charvel guitars. I have two of each that are near equals. My dream guitar might be a combination of those two brands...a PRS "shredder"?

My 2006 PRS Johnny Hiland is my #1 right now.

I thought my dream guitar might be a JP 15 in Cerulean Blue, but I got one and I was wrong.

I have given into the fact that I am partial to PRS and Charvel guitars. I have two of each that are near equals. My dream guitar might be a combination of those two brands...a PRS "shredder"?
Like a CE24?

I own my "dream guitar"........A Gibson Les Paul 50s Standard. But my #1 "go to" guitar is a PRS SE McCarty 594 single-cut but I also own a PRS SE Custom 24.
My rig is a Boss VO-1 talk box into a Boss GX-100 through a 50 watt Boss Katana MKII................

edited to fix model number mistake/

Last edited:
I have a Paul’s Guitar (TCI spec), and a Brent Mason Signature. The Paul’s Guitar sounds better, but I prefer the maple neck and trem of the Brent Mason. I play the Paul’s Guitar more. The dream guitar is a Modern Eagle V. I haven’t been able to play one to know if it is the perfect combo of the two or not. When they first came out, I contemplated trading both in on a ME-V, but I decided against it. I will wait patiently for the right time and have all three.

I'm not sure I have a "dream" guitar. My #1 is basically a hot-rodded tele ('93 Fender American Standard), and it's my #1 simply because it's home- it's the guitar I have played more than any other, BY FAR.

As for a "dream" guitar, I thought it might be the DGT but it wasn't (fantastic guitar tho). I recently got an EBMM Luke III and it's close too, but IDK if it's "everything". That's the catch: nothing can be everything, and I like too many different tones for one guitar to do them all.

Tele
Strat/like
Humbucker (PAF)
Hot humbucker (JB)
P90
Hollowbody archtop

there are just too many gorgeous tones out there; it's impossible for me to have a "dream" guitar.

I've got 10 guitars now. Each is different, which was a goal in building my collection. If you'd asked me three years ago, I'd have thought I'd have five guitars. I'm unlikely to continue accumulating, just based on having a good diverse group.

I don't have a #1. At any given time, any of them can feel like that.

I don't have a dream guitar, but I have found some things I like. Pattern Regular necks are my favorite, which surprises me. I'd not have thought the narrower neck would feel good for my chubby fingers, but it does. I like 22 frets better than 24, though I dearly love my Mira. I very much prefer light-weight guitars. If my CE22 was 7lbs instead of a heft 9lbs, I'd probably play it a lot more. I almost never use a trem, but I find them comfortable for playing and not at all difficult to set up.

I kind of like not having a #1 or a dream guitar. Makes things easy and lets me play whatever feels right.

Back