Your #1 vs. your Dream???

Greywolf

Luthier and Sound Sensei
We all have a favorite , and most still have a dream guitar (PS..)

What makes your current guitar #1 , and as the Holidays are here .. what would you dream Santa would bring you ???

Last edited:
I tend to think in terms of current favorite as desires change. Currently it’s the Knaggs Kenai Soapy because it sounds, feels and plays right for me. I was never a guitar weight conscious guy as long as the guitar is well balanced. The light weight of the Kenai turned out to be an added bonus.

My only nit pic with the GOM 594 is the height of the fret wire. I tend to prefer less tall wire. On the other hand it plays so well that I often wonder if changing the fret wire would change the playing dynamics for the worse.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to own as well as try out pretty much every guitar that I ever thought may be something I really wanted. I don't know that I really have a dream guitar. That is the reason I never made it to getting a private stock. I could never nail down what I would put into it. All of the features I have thought about doing are just a variation of a PRS I already own.

I had an idea for an HSS guitar that I really wanted. I have been drawn to these types of guitars ever since I started playing. I had Suhr build that guitar in 2015. It is one of my most played guitars that I own. Every other guitar I grab for is a PRS. My 594 is my next reached for guitar. It is my Les Paul replacement.

I kind of feel like I have my dream guitars already.

As a background , when I meet artists that want a custom .. I ask them cost no object what is the instrument of their dreams .. then try to find a way to make it come true. It's always interesting what the responses are to me . .some are super specific , and others much more "creative" usually leaning towards looks over sound ...

One of the reasons I started a collection several decades ago , was so clients could come over and get a head to head comparison and chose which elements they wanted in thier instrument , from neck and body shapes to pickup choices and woods. A 40 year extention of the I want a Strat/ LP rolled into one concept .

I have to say this forum ( and I'm on a half dozen) has the most well informed player base, by a margin. So your thoughts on what makes your "Holy Grail" would be enlightening.

Last edited:
As a background , when I meet artists that want a custom .. I ask them cost no object what is the instrument of their dreams .. then try to find a way to make it come true. It's always interesting what the responses are to me . .some are super specific , and others much more "creative" usually leaning towards looks over sound ...

One of the reasons I started a collection several decades ago , was so clients could come over and get a head to head comparison and chose which elements they wanted in thier instrument , from neck and body shapes to pickup choices and woods. A 40 year extention of the I want a Strat/ LP rolled into one concept .

I have to say this forum ( and I'm on a half dozen) has the most well informed player base, by a margin. So your thoughts on what makes your "Holy Grail" would be enlightening.
For me, a 594 P22 Piezo would be great. It would have either a Pattern or Pattern Vintage neck. I am not decided on stop tail or trem. Maybe one of each. :) It would definitely be a challenge to get all of the knobs and switches laid out on it. The additional switch and knob for the piezo have to fit somewhere.

Hard To Pick My #1 But I Know My Dream Guitar Is A Super Sized Jumbo Acoustic Stuffed With Stacks Of Cash, Gold And Silver. Imagine It Making A Gibson J-200 Look Like A Mandolin Size Wise. The Heavier The Better! ;)

I'm personally very happy with what I have , I will always look at more . but as for adding more .. I've got 3 to finish up before I go down that road again . I have some gorgeous wood in my library that is begging to be made into something special . I'm planning a fretless guitar , and Spalted Maple body/ Cocobolo neck semi . If I have time....

I am really happy with the collection I have assembled. If curiosity hadn't got the best of me on the PRS Studio, I would still be adding days to the I haven't bought a guitar in XX days stat. I went about 3.5 years with no new guitars. When I look at guitars online and in the shops, I don't see anything that I don't already have something I like as much or more than what I am looking at. I like the Studio but didn't really need it. Probably the best thing about me buying it is that I have been playing a lot more since it showed up.

my core custom 22 and LP standard were previously tied for #1, but my S2 594 has been dominating all play time since I got it...

I'd love santa to bring me a core HBII for christmas tho :D

Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.
I have this either way you look at it. I got the ones that made me happy and I'm happy now that I have them. Like others have said, I don't really have a #1. I have a number of them that could take that spot depending on what I'm wanting to play. I can say that I'm not GASing for anything and haven't for a few years now. So I must already have my dream guitar, it just shape shifts into one of the models I have when I'm picking the next one to play.

Back