Xotic on Tuesday

That video also turned me on to a new guitarist, Toshi Yanagi. I really like his style, refreshing.

Xotic is one of those builders that I can find no fault...every pedal is musical and mojo-infused. The EP continues to show me something new every time I change up the pedalboard, too. In standard mode, at about 2:00 after my Monster Klone, it does beautiful things with the SuperD. And with this rig, I've found that I prefer it after the ODs. Yummy.

It it doesn't play well with all amps, particularly Boogies. My hypothesis is that the input buffer they use on high gain channels HATES the low impedance conversion of the EP. At zero gain, it's not so bad, but the tonal coloration it brings doesn't translate with my MkIII. And trying it thru a Bogner combo in the loop failed, too.

As as brilliant as it is, the EP has it's place with lower gain amps.

Xotic is one of those builders that I can find no fault...

I've noticed a possible fault in all three Xotic pedals I've had. It doesn't make them unusable, but it's there, at least on my board.

If I change pickups, or move a knob on the guitar with the pedal on, and then slide into a note, I sometimes get a faint static noise that goes away after a second or two. I haven'tbeen able to reproduce this with my Fulltone or other pedals, whether ODs or boosts. It is not unique to one guitar.

The pedals sound great, don't get me wrong, and there may be a different cause.

But it's weird that it only seems to happen with these.

Last edited:
That is an interesting observation. When I am running through the paces on Tuesday, Wednesday, I will listen for that. Can't wait to experiment EP both before and after. You are so helpful. Thank you.

That is an interesting observation. When I am running through the paces on Tuesday, Wednesday, I will listen for that. Can't wait to experiment EP both before and after. You are so helpful. Thank you.

And of course it might be something unique to my setup. So there's that.

...I sometimes get a faint static noise that goes away after a second or two...
I have to say...never heard of it. Not only have I not experienced that, I've had the the opposite: stone cold silence. Even when switching.

Sorry to hear of the difficulties. That's a deal-breaker in my book and wouldn't blame you for sending them all back. And not because they are malfunctioning, they just may not work well with your rig. That sucks but I know that feeling well. :(

I have to say...never heard of it. Not only have I not experienced that, I've had the the opposite: stone cold silence. Even when switching.

Sorry to hear of the difficulties. That's a deal-breaker in my book and wouldn't blame you for sending them all back. And not because they are malfunctioning, they just may not work well with your rig. That sucks but I know that feeling well. :(

I'm just gonna give Xotic a call to discuss. It may in fact be something else I'm unaware of.

The thing I like about Xotic is that it's unique-sounding and works well not just as a "ooh, cool" effect thing but it's actually useful in the context of the music (it's 'musical').

among the other companies whose work hits me that way are Fulltone, TC Electronic, Eventide, Teese and few others (though obviously I haven't played everything out there). So when Xotic comes out with something, I generally will at least take a listen.

The thing I like about Xotic is that it's unique-sounding and works well not just as a "ooh, cool" effect thing but it's actually useful in the context of the music (it's 'musical').

among the other companies whose work hits me that way are Fulltone, TC Electronic, Eventide, Teese and few others (though obviously I haven't played everything out there). So when Xotic comes out with something, I generally will at least take a listen.

Agree. I also really like Mad Professor stuff. Psionic, too.

I am curious to find out what Xotic says about the static noise you are experiencing. Is it when you are playing clean? When I am playing clean my it seems like my MP Analog delay has a little bit of crunchiness ( static?) that decays quickly. I don't know if it's the same thing you are experiencing. Additionally, I always have my Xotic SP Compressor on all the time, adding a little light compression. Maybe its the compressor?

Hopefully pedals show up Wednesday. I have Praise Practice Thursday night, and need to put my board back together. Can't wait. I have the TC flashback and Trinity. Both very excellent pedals in the context of what I do. I have also found Barber pedals very good.

Congrats. I have an EP. The BB and SL are on my next to buy list. I just need to sell my KokoBoost first.

Well I did not sell the Koko, but I pulled the trigger on a used combo deal for a BB and an SL today.

Hello all - greetings, my first post on the forum, all that good stuff ;-)

I am a big fan of the Xotic pedals and did quite a few demos of them a couple of years ago, such as this one with the AC and AC Plus:

I just picked up an EP boost after trying to talk myself out of needing one for about a year. I use an EQ all of the time, but switch settings depending on guitars/pedal steel. I have to give it the full test with my rig this evening, but I think that it will do exactly what I'm trying to do with a 4xEL84 amp: get some low/low-mids happening, and the harmonic content.

I've had the Black Crowes on constant rotation for the last week, and I've been trying to coax some similar tones out of my gear. I really liked the sound of the SL, but I didn't want to open it in the store: I think the Super Bass setting would have sealed it for me to purchase that pedal. There just wasn't the same low end boost with the SL. Although there was lots more gain on tap. I also liked the harmonic content better with the EP: I see what everyone is talking about when they say 'sweeter'. I couldn't dial that same effect in with the SL.

So I'll buy the SL next time :cool:

I had my first opportunity to use the new setup with the xotic pedals this past Sunday. Expectations were high, but the performance and impact of the pedals went beyond my expectations. The SP and first EP are on all of the time. One little extra nugget I found was when I did not use the overdrives in between the two EPs and just went from EP to EP, that gave me a very excellent slight overdrive grit. Having the 2nd EP after the overdrives is a really good idea, used selectively, that gives the overdrive tones a slightly smoother sound. Very pleased. Two EPs set differently; 1st is with highs and 3db gain turned off, 2nd with the 3db gain off. SL and SP also worked fantastic. These pedals will be on my board for a long, long time.
3ea8b592ffe70c29c39f6e6fd64413af_zps4e41bc26.jpg
[/IMG]

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;164763 said:
I need another EP Boost. Looking for a white one.

I am also looking forward to grabbing one of the new Xotic wah pedals.

Hans,

Are you going to use both EPs at once? Into what amp? Do tell, as I have recently considered this option.

I also really like Mad Professor stuff.

I am not a pedal guy at ALL, but the mad Professor Hand wired pedals are the best I have found. They sound fantastic, and the Overdrive pedals FEEL are the most tube like of anything I have tried. (Sweet honey overdrive, Little green wonder, Sky blue overdrive, Simble overdrive) The silver spring reverb and deep blue delay are also great. The two pedals I have not loved by them are the golden cello, and Royal blue overdrive, but only because they do not fit the type of music I play. They are great at what they are intended to do however. By the way I have only tried the Xotic RC boost, but I did not care for it at all. It gave a hard, steely solid state feel and sound, especially in the high end. IMMO, YMMV etc etc.

Last edited:
Typically, I have the SP and one of the EPs on all of the time. Which EP I have on depends on if I am playing my McCarty or my 408. I have the EPs voiced differently. Having both EPs on together without any of the overdrives on in between, gives a very excellent low gain grit. Other options are using the EP before the overdrive pedals tends to give a nice growl of an overdrive sound. If I turn the "pre" EP off and turn the "post" EP on with the distortion pedals, the distortion smooths out to kind of a Santana-like feel. I like having both. Don't plan on changing that set up for a long time.

For the amp, I use an early 90s Ampeg ReverberRocket, 50 watt tube amp, clean channel. If has a fair amount of clean headroom. My suggestion is to not have an amp that breaks up too early.

Last edited:
Back