Bareknuckle Mules vs PRS \m/ pickups on a custom 24 floyd

michMike

All, I have one other post on here on the same guitar, different topic. I recently purchased my "dream" guitar. A core series PRS custom 24 floyd in charcoal burst with a satin flamed maple neck. It is a 2014 and has its fair share of love on the back side of the body but the top, fretboard and frets are in terrific shape. I am learning how to play and not a gigger or professional by any means and the guitar came, as sold, with Mules installed. Original pickups were not included. If I wanted to bring back to original, I would need to switch out to \m/ pickups but from all my ear can tell, the Mules sound solid across the amps and pedals I have. I have seen many comparisons on Youtube but can't find one comparing specifically the Mule to the \m/. I know this is subjective, and I know the amp and downstream components probably make more of a difference than the pickups, (the player obviously the most...) but is it even wise to look into swapping back to \m/ pickups? I have not yet learned how to truly play quick metal yet so most playing is 80s and 90s style bands at the moment, but would like to be able to play modern rock (think Sirius XM Octane channel). Thoughts?

Mules will get you some of that modern rock sound. They will cover most aside modern metals. If you plan on hanging down in the dungeons below standard C tuning then you may want to consider \m/, alpha/omegas, dusty warings (if you wish to support PRS or PRS artists), or of course, other Bare Knuckles like silos, crawlers, aftermath, etc to help you out for that articulate higher output. I would think \m/ would compare to BK’s contemporary pickup ranges.

I can’t speak to the Mules, but don’t let the \m/ name fool you - they’re not one-trick ponies. Yes, high output, and yes, they do the high gain stuff very well. But they also clean up very nicely. They’re very versatile. I don’t know that I would say they have a particularly vintage voicing, but they can get into classic rock territory, at least for my purposes.

Thanks for replies. I think I will keep them in until such time that I can notice something that bothers me. If I find a set of \m/s for a steal, I may grab just in case I ever choose to sell guitar to get a different prs. At that point, swap them out and keep the mules for one of my other guitars.

I can’t speak to the Mules, but don’t let the \m/ name fool you - they’re not one-trick ponies. Yes, high output, and yes, they do the high gain stuff very well. But they also clean up very nicely. They’re very versatile. I don’t know that I would say they have a particularly vintage voicing, but they can get into classic rock territory, at least for my purposes.
100% agree with this. \m/ is a great pickup that covers a lot of ground.

Back