Xotic on Tuesday

By the way I have only tried the Xotic RC boost, but I did not care for it at all. It gave a hard, steely solid state feel and sound, especially in the high end. IMMO, YMMV etc etc.

There's a little bit of that with the BB that I have as well, though I don't mind because it seems to work well in the context of my recording work, when I often want to create a different feel than the tube amp gives me.

In fact, I really like the BB. It's one of those things that's just gonna sound the way it sounds, and it can't be dialed out.

Funny how we both tend to notice a departure from pure tube sound so often regarding many pieces of gear..

When running "pre" I like it with the bright switch off...when running "post" I flip the bright on...which voicing do you use in each position?
I have the bright in the same position as you on both. I also have the 3db off on both so they don't use up my clean headroom. Do you find the same affect as I do using pre or post overdrives?

There's a little bit of that with the BB that I have as well, though I don't mind because it seems to work well in the context of my recording work, when I often want to create a different feel than the tube amp gives me.

In fact, I really like the BB. It's one of those things that's just gonna sound the way it sounds, and it can't be dialed out.

Funny how we both tend to notice a departure from pure tube sound so often regarding many pieces of gear..

I hear you. I do not think either one of us use a lot of gain for the most part, and that makes it easier to hear and feel. SS pedals used with cleans and or for lower gain tones can drive me nuts. Into my Fender twin and Super reverb I am experimenting with a Mad professor sweet honey overdrive now with pretty good results, and their Little green wonder is nice as well. (The Hand wired versions are well worth the additional money to my ear.) The Simble overdrive is a really nice pedal (manufactured by Mad Professor) and although I do not find it very Dumble like, is excellent for lower gain tones. The Sky blue overdrive KILLS into a Dumble style clean amp, but I have found it very amp and speaker dependent.

Well, do tell how much fun you have been having with the new toy? How are you using it?

Well, do tell how much fun you have been having with the new toy? How are you using it?

Well, to be honest, I'm not excited with the results just yet.

I tried using it as a boost directly into the front of my Archon. It works fine with the clean channel, and does give it that AC/DC growl. However, it changes neither volume or tone very much in the gain channel (which I was warned was going to be the case, and I understand it).

Then, I tried running it though the effects loop. Even at the lowest setting (knob turned completely counter-clockwise), it is much louder and produces a very noticable unpleasant hum in the gain channel. On the clean channel, it seems to simply boost the volume, but does not color the tone like it did running it through the front.

My initial reaction is that my Boosta Grande does a better job frankly. I'll try the EP with a couple other amps (Orange MKII and PRS 2 channel Custom 50) and see if I get the same results. Also, I wonder if running the EP with a battery (as opposed to the AC power supply) might eliminate the hum.

Last edited:
Is that the version with editable settings internally? Maybe it's been tweaked and needs to be reset?

Also, I find the EP Boost's benefit to be lost on higher gain amps.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;168080 said:
Is that the version with editable settings internally? Maybe it's been tweaked and needs to be reset?

Also, I find the EP Boost's benefit to be lost on higher gain amps.

I would expect that to be the case as well.

Ok. Different story through my Orange MKII 100 watt head and 2x12 V30 cab. With my amp gain set at 12:30 (gain channel), it makes my tone nice and silky, but not overly mushy. It only adds very slight boost, but I find I can run it in front of my amp and still use the Boosta Grande through the loop for solo boost volume (it doesn't change my tone).

Next up, I'm going to try it through my PRS 2 channel custom.

I like the RC Booster. I used it always on to give a clear hifi sound. Now I'm using a Zvex SHO for that. I'm more about bright stringy attack than tube sag or sponginess or warmth. Maybe I should get a solid state amp. LOL.

I also like my BB Preamp, it's very crunchy and stringy too... I don't use it all the time but good pedal.

I want to try the BB Preamp Mid Boost which is what Keith Urban uses. It's killer.

Yes, the EP boost wasn't really designed to be in a loop, it's a "front of the amp" kind of pedal. As you know, it is a replica of the preamp input circuit of the old Echoplex. Jimmy Page used Echoplexes without the delay on as boosts in front of his old Marshalls and Hiwatts. This is what the EP is designed to do.

It's really meant more for vintage style amps than high gain, modern sounding amps, where really a clean boost like this gets a little lost.

I think it's great at what it does - adds a bit of high end grit, a little bit of boost when you need it, and can fatten up single coil tones a bit.

I like the EP Booster but I actually love the Dunlop Echoplex pedal more. To me it has more of a brighter sound.

Back