Would you like to bounce with the brother that's platinum?

Going Modal

I should be practicing right now.
For as long as I've been a PRS fanboy, I've always been enamored by the Platinum Metallic opaque finish. And all the better to put this finish on a Standard 22, in which there's less reason to show off some sort of figured wood, right?

Well, I now have my grubby little hands on one of these eye-catching beauties! I present to you my new-to-me Standard 22 in Platinum Metallic from the early 2000's:

R8zc3Lv.jpg

I'm not sure what to expect from the Dragon II pickups considering all the conjecture online; but I'm committed to withholding any judgement until the guitar is all cleaned up, polished, set up, and adjusted to my liking.

For as long as I've been a PRS fanboy, I've always been enamored by the Platinum Metallic opaque finish. And all the better to put this finish on a Standard 22, in which there's less reason to show off some sort of figured wood, right?

Well, I now have my grubby little hands on one of these eye-catching beauties! I present to you my new-to-me Standard 22 in Platinum Metallic from the early 2000's:

R8zc3Lv.jpg

I'm not sure what to expect from the Dragon II pickups considering all the conjecture online; but I'm committed to withholding any judgement until the guitar is all cleaned up, polished, set up, and adjusted to my liking.
Fantastic!!! I have 3 standard 22s USA and it's my favorite guitar of all time...that looks great and love the moons...perfect!

R8zc3Lv.jpg

Wow - beautiful cool color. Please report back on your thoughts on the Dragon II’s. It’s kinda pertinent to my current case of GAS!

Gorgeous guitar!

I like the neck Dragon II and it seems about the same as the neck Dragon I.

But the Dragon I bridge pickup is a hard act to follow.

Pickups can be easily changed though.

But please post your own thoughts on the Dragon II's.

Wow, guys! I really, really like this guitar. And as for the Dragon II pickups, I also like them too--a lot. Another recent acquisition of mine is an earlier Custom 22 stoptail with the original Dragon pickups in it; so mostly I can compare those vs. these Dragon II pickups... seems most logical right now.

First, let's get this part out of the way and we'll move on: the Dragon II bass/neck pickup feels and sounds practically identical to the original Dragon bass/neck pickup. If they are indeed the same pickup (except uncovered originally and then covered on version II) as many people have asserted, then I'd belive it. Close enough to say they're the same. GREAT neck pickup.

As for the difference between the original Dragon treble/bridge pickup vs. that of the Dragon II:
The original Dragon bridge pickup has a ceramic magnet and it feels as such; with a hard mid-punch and of course moderately-high output, it's an excellent hard-rock pickup. The original Dragon bridge pickup reminds me a lot of a 59/09 bridge pickup (even though yes I know the 59/09 is AlNiCo... just go with me here people.)

The Dragon II we know is AlNiCo construction, and it definitely has that AlNiCo feeling--ever so slightly more squish or relaxed "give" in the mids. An excellent classic-rock pickup; to me it's more in the 57/08 bridge-pickup vein. Again, I really like these in my "new" Standard 22. My impression after hammering away on it this evening is, "Why would there be a need to replace these? They're great."

So in my limited brain bandwidth, I kind of associate them this way: Dragon vs. Dragon II ~ 59/09 vs. 57/08 ~ *hard* rock vs. rock. Both great at what they do, no denying that.

Perhaps the most important thing to stress here, though--TAKING THE TIME TO REALLY TWEAK AND DIAL-IN YOUR PICKUP HEIGHTS BY EAR WHILE PLAYING IS CRITICAL. I cannot stress this enough. Read up on the correct way to measure & evaluate pickup heights, then start with them at the recommended heights, and then go from there based on your style & preferences. From there, you shall achieve total enlightenment.

Back