So, I was only going to buy green guitars...

grausch

A couple of months ago, I decided that Eriza Verde is really my favourite PRS finish and I should just get rid of all of my other guitars and buy one or two cores in Eriza Verde. Of course, then I remembered that I have a black S2 Singlecut Satin Standard that the wife got me for Christmas (1st exception). Then I played the 20th Anniversary Standard 24 Satin and that just sounds so phenomenal both unplugged and plugged in - yes, I like HFS pickups (2nd exception). Then there is my Black Cherry Bernie that is just a phenomenal guitar (3rd exception) and reclaimed Vela that is quite rare (4th exception). So, all my PRS guitars ended up being safe, but I needed cash to buy a SC58 in Eriza Verde I have my eye on.

So the obvious solution is to browse eBay to see if there isn't a cheaper guitar in Eriza Verde. That way I can explain it quite easily to the wife: "Well, I could have bought the SC58, but I still want to get you a Christmas present, so I settled for something cheaper..."

In any case, I somehow stumbled on a DGT in Purple Hazel that was on auction with no bids and a day to go. The price was good, so I knew I wanted. Placed my bid the next day and was the only bidder, which enabled me to snag my first DGT. It arrived yesterday, has been cleaned up and restrung and played a fair bit last night and today.

Obligatory pics as always:

zbtH22T.jpg

nHYsK2L.jpg

g0mppIM.jpg

dz9BUKR.jpg

When I received the guitar it was strung with 11s, but with quite a few wraps around the posts. So obviously tuning was not great when using the trem and the tuners were also struggling a little to turn. I did play it a little like that and could not believe how easily the 11s bend. I have a Signature Limited (in Eriza Verde of course :p) with 10s and I do not think it feels that easy to bend as the DGT with 11s. I did not notice that the nut was slightly slimmer (as most people comment) - perhaps it is the same width as Pattern Regular which I am very familiar with (too lazy too google it now).

I have since restrung it with 8-46 Fender Malmsteen strings, adjusted the trem (a first for me), and cleaned it up a fair bit. Plays great was instantly super comfortable. Pickups sound decent, but I did find it odd that I played more with the volumes and the tone that I usually done. Really like having the volume for the bridge pickup so close. If it did not sound like it yet, this guitar is pretty phenomenal. Just insanely comfortable and sounds very good through my setup.

Of course, I needed to sell something to make space for another guitar, so my 2013 Gibson SG Deluxe in Lime Green went up for sale on eBay for a pretty fair price. That sold in less than 24 hours...What did I say about only buying green guitars?!?

Last edited:
That’s too good a guitar to force it to be green.
I agree that 11s feel light on a DGT.
Have fun.

Agreed. Not really purple either, but I don't mind.

I did ask the seller whether the guitar was strung with 11s and whether those were the original frets. He confirmed both my queries. All I can think is that the neck carve on the DGT makes bending slightly easier than the Pattern carve on my Siggy Ltd. It does make me consider refretting my other guitars to stainless Jumbos to see if I can get them to bend that easily.

Last edited:
PRS is the only guitar Co that has soooo many models I lust for.

It's a crying shame that I'm not independently wealthy as I'd have a warehouse full of these dam things.

If the current models weren't enough, the vintage stuff is just another vein of lust.

I've got an HB coming my way and with what I currently own you'd think I'd be set.

I still lust for a McCarty trem, DGT, PRS p90, Brent Mason, studio, quatro, 85 cu24..................................................

That’s a tasty DGT, I really like that colour.
Congrats they’re amazing guitars :)

Back