Why the hatred?

@dogrocketp If you read my post, you would have seen that I said that I would feel, rightly or wrongly, that an S2 could be better if I replaced the Pick-ups, replaced the bridge, replaced the tuners, maybe replace the electronics and knobs. Whether that would actually make the S2 better or its a placebo effect because I spent more on it, I don't know.

Just knowing that PRS have opted to use import parts to keep the guitar within a certain price range will make me feel that I could buy 'better', could replace those things to maybe try and improve the guitar - whether or not they are actually better than the import parts, whether or not it does make the guitar better, whether or not there is some placebo effect, I would be thinking that I could possibly 'improve' the guitar because these parts are not on their 'high-end' models.

Its no different from those people that think they can buy an SE and replace the 'S' Pick-ups, change the nut, put locking tuners on it, replace the electronics and put a Mann bridge on it to try and 'improve' their SE in an attempt to get closer to the Core version. Whether or not it makes a massive difference, just knowing that certain parts are not exactly the same as you get on a 'high end' version, regardless of how good they sound as they are, its that 'what if' - what if I change the Pick-ups to a 'high end' set, what if I put a high-end bridge etc can I improve a 'great' guitar, make it even better with high-end parts.

With my Core guitars, they have the same parts that you would find on the Private Stock versions. Changing Pick-ups isn't an 'upgrade' but more a sideways move to fit more with personal preference - like preferring a hotter pick-up in a 594 or more vintage pick-up in a Custom 24. If something could be improved on a Core, I think PRS would have done it. They don't seem to be a guitar that is made to a price-point but made to the highest standard and that determines the price.

As I said, its not that the S2 are bad guitars, far from it but that I would be thinking 'what if' just because I know they are made to a price point and include import parts that may well be 'excellent' but I could not help thinking that I could make a great guitar even better by pitting high end parts on it instead.

I'll never pass up an opportunity to post a pic of a pink guitar!

BAcDrvX.jpg

Heidi, it’s time for you to give a Guitar Player’s Wives/Significant Others Master Class.

I’d sign my wife up in a heartbeat, but every time I talk guitar, she says, “I’m about as interested in your gear as you are in my lipstick.”

Oh well. :(

She’s actually a makeup artist, so she knows a lot about that stuff.

Remeber THAT pink guitar from our Brian's run guitars TOO well!!! AWESOME!!!

I guess I'm fortunate and blessed in the wife department... Even with all the guitars I had, she bought/ordered me this for my retirement!
Paul of course signed the back "To Will. Happy Retirement. Paul Reed Smith" Good Lord that was a long 1.5 year wait for delivery!!!

80551819_10215963710749639_9076163158065807360_o.jpg

And I don't hate other guitars. I just ended up with PRS as my favorite guitars of all time (and I've owned all sorts of high dollar to cheap stuff with all kinds of names on the headstocks, including G and F). They just feel and sound right to me. Doesn't give me a right to hate on my friends' favorite guitars or them on mine.

If I happen to want a different "sound" from stock, I'll hop on a set of custom wound pickups from zhangbucker.com . I have an SE and a CE with a pair of those pickups as
well as in some other brand guitars of mine.

Last edited:
This is always a fascinating topic. The "cork sniffery" thing bugs me - who cares if people like or appreciate some bling. Although in the case of PRS I think people appreciate craftsmanship. And if I can't play a note, I'm unlikely to be lingering around this website in the first place.

I'm a fan or F and G, but when I was poking around on G"s website and seeing some reissue Standards going for $6k plus, I started thinking that whole snobbery thing needs to be reevaluated. My 594 was near half that.

Last edited:
It's the same with every enthusiast group. Every group has it's darlings and it's outsiders. You should see the hatred for Invicta over on the watch forums. Just start a thread called "Rolex vs Omega" and watch the fireworks.

People parrot what they read online, whether they have personal experience or not.

That is aboslutely true! Watch collecting is my other hobby. It happens all the time with certain brands. You see people say in threads "TAG sucks!"...then you ask them "have you ever owned a TAG or even held one in your hand?"...the answer is typically "well, no...but a buddy of mine said..."

Yes, I do have a TAG...and no, it does not suck. Great entry-level luxury watches.

Last edited:
That is aboslutely true! Watch collecting is my other hobby. It happens all the time with certain brands. You see people say in threads "TAG sucks!"...then you ask them "have you ever owned a TAG or even held one in your hand?"...the answer is typically "well, no...but a buddy of mine said..."

Yes, I do have a TAG...and no, it does not suck. Great entry-level luxury watches.

I don't collect, but I have an Omega, 2 IWCs and a Fitbit. They all have a place!

An Omega and 2 IWCs...that's a pretty good collection! My Omega Bond SMP is the crowning jewel in my collection. Would love to have an IWC some day.

I'm at hard limit on watches. I've spent as much $ on getting the Omega repaired than I initially paid for it back in, uh, 1997/8 ish? The IWC Mark XVI is my daily driver, and there's also a Portuguese Automatic which is beautiful but definitely a special occasion type of thing. These were all pre-wife/pre-kids acquisitions!!

Back