Why the hatred?

I'm at hard limit on watches. I've spent as much $ on getting the Omega repaired than I initially paid for it back in, uh, 1997/8 ish? The IWC Mark XVI is my daily driver, and there's also a Portuguese Automatic which is beautiful but definitely a special occasion type of thing. These were all pre-wife/pre-kids acquisitions!!

An IWC Portuguese is a bucket list watch for me. So beautiful!

And even Private Stock are cheaper than many of these high end watches.

Remember the Apple Watch Edition gold? $12k. Leather strap was $7k. (More of a toy and look at me watch though)

There are guys on the watch forum that consider anything under $1000 to be a "beater watch". A new Rolex will run you about $7000 and that's not even considered exotic.

There are guys on the watch forum that consider anything under $1000 to be a "beater watch". A new Rolex will run you about $7000 and that's not even considered exotic.

I know! Watches get crazy. Best example is the Paul Newman watch that was worth $200 in 1984, and sold for $17.75 million all in in 2019 (maybe 2018)

An IWC Portuguese is a bucket list watch for me. So beautiful!

I got it from a gray market importer, so didn't pay full retail. It's built really well though. I did send it in for a repair once (dropped it on hardwood floor... Ouch) but otherwise it's a stellar piece of machinery.

This is always a fascinating topic. The "cork sniffery" thing bugs me - who cares if people like or appreciate some bling. Although in the case of PRS I think people appreciate craftsmanship. And if I can't play a note, I'm unlikely to be lingering around this website in the first place.

I'm a fan or F and G, but when I was poking around on G"s website and seeing some reissue Standards going for $6k plus, I started thinking that whole snobbery thing needs to be reevaluated. My 594 was near half that.
Yes all that brouhaha is over done. Let people appreciate whatever they want to. People have already moved on to cocks anyways.
hqdefault.jpg

I know! Watches get crazy. Best example is the Paul Newman watch that was worth $200 in 1984, and sold for $17.75 million all in in 2019 (maybe 2018)

That Paul Newman is probably THE most famous watch in the world.

I got to the point recently where I wouldn't even consider a watch if it wasn't at least $500. My most expensive is an Omega SMP that I paid $1800 used for about a year ago. My next is my TAG which was a little over $900...then a bunch of $400-600 watches. About 21 pieces total in my collection. It's absurd how much I spent on watches over the last 10 years or so and I only wear about 5-6 of them. Now that I've picked up the guitar bug, I really have no interest in buying new watches. Just sold an Oris and a Hamilton to thin out the herd. I keep thinking...man, Instead of getting another watch I could get an LP or Martin acoustic or a super sweet amp...

I noticed a pattern between my watches and electric guitars: the first is least expensive, second is most expensive, third is in between. And in each case the third is used most (being my XVI and my 594).

Reactions: pgj
So, I have lusted after a goldtop Les Paul since I can remember. Many of my favorite players use them - Social Distortion, Supersuckers, Bad Religion, Cracker, etc. I went to Chuck Levin's in '04 to buy a goldtop R7 or Standard. I already owned an '01 Standard 24. I walked in and met with my friend who worked there, who I've known since '87, with cash in hand ready to go for my Gibson. He brought me a goldtop McRosie and told me to try it out. It was a better guitar than the Gibson and cheaper. I looked at him puzzled and asked, "why would you want me to buy this cheaper gutiar over the Gibson?" He flat out told me that the PRS is superior in every way. He would have made more and the store would have made more.

I walked out with the goldtop McCarty.

I'll never understand the thought process of the Gibson is a working man's guitar when I could better afford the PRS guitar.

And even Private Stock are cheaper than many of these high end watches.

Remember the Apple Watch Edition gold? $12k. Leather strap was $7k. (More of a toy and look at me watch though)

Robert Ludlum’s character, Jason Bourne always wore a Rolex. His reasoning? It could always be converted to reasonable cash no matter where he was in the world.

And his ass was never late.

Bit like the story I was told by an ex prison guard who told me the story of a prisoner who was brought into the jail and whilst being searched, the mobile secreted somewhere received a call (it wasn’t set to silent).

The two guards looked at one another, because all personal mobiles got put in lockers at the beginning of shift.

The guy finished the story off with the punch line that it was a case of “ring, ring”!:confused:

That is aboslutely true! Watch collecting is my other hobby. It happens all the time with certain brands. You see people say in threads "TAG sucks!"...then you ask them "have you ever owned a TAG or even held one in your hand?"...the answer is typically "well, no...but a buddy of mine said..."

Yes, I do have a TAG...and no, it does not suck. Great entry-level luxury watches.
I’ve got two Tags, both excellent, though one of them (Calibre S) is a real PITA to set.

Back