Why don’t they inset the control covers on S2?

frankencat

Guitarded
This has been bugging me lately, why do they skip this detail on the S2 line or even the SE? Other companies do it, heck even Harley Benton and Epiphone have inset control covers. I dig my S2’s but that one thing really bugs me when all of my other guitars, even the most cheapie ones, have it. Seems lame on an otherwise cool guitar and is keeping me from pulling the trigger on another one.

Edit: Also Believe That The USA Builds Should Have The Matching Wooden Back Plates Instead Of The Black. It Looks Great On My Other Brand Guitars.
I actually wouldn't want the wood back plates. Blasphemous I know.. but I guess I'm simpler with that stuff these days. Sorta the same with the wooden pickup rings, I like them, but wouldn't do it over again.

The raised plates don't really bother me. What does bug me about the recessed plates is that the Korean se use to have them.

If you really want to scratch your head on this one, I have two custom built Suhr guitars that don't have the backplates recessed. I don't really notice them but for what these guitars cost, I would like to see them recessed like the PRS core models.

I just got a DGT SE. The guitar sounds and plays great. I'm very happy with my purchase. The only thing that bugged me was the control cavity covers not being recessed. How much more would it cost to add a program to the CNC machine to make this cut.

I actually wouldn't want the wood back plates. Blasphemous I know.. but I guess I'm simpler with that stuff these days. Sorta the same with the wooden pickup rings, I like them, but wouldn't do it over again.
I Don't Look At The Back Plates In The Same Way As I Do Pickup Rings. Matched Wooden Back Plates Seem More Natural, Practical And Logical To Me Than Wooden Pickup Rings. Not Sure Why I Feel That Way But I Do. I Am Also A Fan Of The Truss Rod Cover Matching The Headstock In Most Cases.

I just got a DGT SE. The guitar sounds and plays great. I'm very happy with my purchase. The only thing that bugged me was the control cavity covers not being recessed. How much more would it cost to add a program to the CNC machine to make this cut.

Making the cut is easy. As @sergiodeblanc said, it's all of the extra finishing steps around that cut that take time and money.

I Don't Look At The Back Plates In The Same Way As I Do Pickup Rings. Matched Wooden Back Plates Seem More Natural, Practical And Logical To Me Than Wooden Pickup Rings. Not Sure Why I Feel That Way But I Do. I Am Also A Fan Of The Truss Rod Cover Matching The Headstock In Most Cases.
I get it. I don't look at them the same either. I referenced it more for a shift in my views. The matching truss rod isn't my thing, but understand it both ways.

Last edited:
Back