Any Thoughts on 2018 S2 Singlecut Standard?

Tammany

After a lot of research and in store playing, I am about to pull the trigger on a 2018 S2 Singlecut Standard at a local shop. The guitar is in pristine condition and is priced about $150 higher than the most comparable new 25" scale SE 22 fret singlecut, although there is no directly comparable new SE model. If I am understanding things, the SE Starla more or less replaced this model and took it offshore, but that guitar is two controls only and lacks locking tuners. The guitar I am considering has a trans red finish that shows off some nice mahogany grain, while most of the SE Starlas seem to be painted. I also understand that the PRS product progression was this version of the S2, whuch became the US made Starla, which was then discontinued, in favo of the Indonesian SE Starlas.

I am primarily a clean player using a variety of old school Fender circuits, primarily a '65 Deluxe Reverb. I am looking for a warm but clean sounding humbucker guitar and love the coil spiltting options on this guitar that also build in my beloved SC tones. I have played this guitar through a Princetion Reverb at the shop and like the tone a lot but have not brought in my amp, nor have I been able to AB the guitar next to other PRS guitars or even a quality Les Paul. I love the old school LP tone but have never loved LPs themselves because of their weight and tendency to slip off the lap of a seated player. For this reason, the ergonomics of this S2 appeals to me. It's obviously not an LP tone but it is generally what I am looking for.

Before I make the commitment, I am intereted in general impressions of this guitar by PRS players with a broader familiarity with the various tone palettes of these guitars..

Also, I would appreciate specific input regarding the following questions.

A. How does the quality of the imported hardware compare to hardware on PRS Core guitars? The locking tuners and the tail piece look comparable but I really am not sure what's under the hood of those components. Any hands on experience?

B. The guitar has #7 pickups, which I understand are Korean made and less less detailed versions of 57/08s. I am a big fan of Fralin pickups and might consider an upgrade to some version of their PAFs with matching pots. So, I have three questions. 1. How serviceable are the #7s? 2. Would the upgrade be worth the money for the tone I am chasing? And 3. What other suggestions would people have for warm but not muddy replacement pickups other than the Fralins?

C. In terms of resale, is there significant bias out there against S2 guitars or this model specifically (which is now out of the PRS lineup)? I am not buying this guitar to flip it. At my age and stage of my playing, my assumption is that I am buying the guitar for keeps. Nevertheless, if I end up not liking the guitar in my at home playing environment, compared to other guitars in the barn, it will be sold, so this consideration is important to me.

Many thanks for your thoughful comments.​

Last edited:
I have a few PRSi and my S2 Singlecut Standard in satin black can hang with any of my cores. Clean tones? What‘s that? These kids nowadays…

A: No issues with mine. Hardware is great and I prefer the s2 tuners over the Phase 3s. YMMV. Bridge is same as used on cores.

B: Pickups sounded glorious to me with overdrive. Play hard rock and it works great for that. I use a Orange Rocker which is a dark amp and was seriously considering changing pickups. Have now gotten an overdrive that is quite treble heavy and I am as happy as a pig in sh!te. Hardly ever play clean, but you can split the neck and turn down the volume for semi-decent cleans. I am no expert on clean sounds, but this is generally how I approach it.

C: Resale? Never!!

Regarding the lineage of the S2 Singlecut, the Starla and the S2 Singlecut are not related like that. Starlas started as a Core, then S2 and then SE. S2 Singlecut could probably be traced to the older Singlecut, but the Standard is unique with the pickguard.

Regarding the lineage of the S2 Singlecut, the Starla and the S2 Singlecut are not related like that. Starlas started as a Core, then S2 and then SE. S2 Singlecut could probably be traced to the older Singlecut, but the Standard is unique with the pickguard.
Perfect! Thank you for setting me right. I am new to these guitars and still trying to figure out PRS positioning.

Dont have experience with the Singlecut Standard S2, but just 2 days ago I received an S2 Singlecut.

I understand both have same specs, but just some differences like the standard having pickguard and not sure if the Standard is a satin finish?

But at least the S2 Singlecut on the knobs, switch and tuners, all feel better than the SE I have on the hand.

Cant speak on the stock pickups since mine came with another set from another brand.

But the guitar plays fantastic, just as my Cores and SE, and the feel is similar or closer to the Core than SE I would say on the hand, probably due to being same finish and maybe other minor details that they do in the USA factory.

I'm sure the standard is as good as the regular singlecut S2.

Another option still under the PRS umbrella is the SE Paul's Guitar. I adore these guitars. Their pickups are very good, beautiful clean tone with bloom but stays together under gain. Each humbucker has a toggle switch for it that splits the coils but in a special way that sounds authentic instead of just turning off one of the coils and sounding thin with a big volume drop. Build wise it's still a 22 fret 25" hardtail. Super versatile. Sound great. Play amazingly well. Can't recommend enough. No need to swap the humbuckers either.

Another option still under the PRS umbrella is the SE Paul's Guitar. I adore these guitars. Their pickups are very good, beautiful clean tone with bloom but stays together under gain. Each humbucker has a toggle switch for it that splits the coils but in a special way that sounds authentic instead of just turning off one of the coils and sounding thin with a big volume drop. Build wise it's still a 22 fret 25" hardtail. Super versatile. Sound great. Play amazingly well. Can't recommend enough. No need to swap the humbuckers either.
Many thanks for that suggestion. They look like a good value, all things considered. I appreciate your cluing me in. Ubder consideration.

I put a set of core #7’s in an SE Singlecut Trem. Just back off the volume control 2 or 3 numbers, and the clean is fine. Remember the standard is an all mahogany body and neck. Nothing “wrong” with stock parts. Let your ears make the decision. Now a set of Lindy’s P-92’s in a standard would make for some really interesting tones…….

Thanks very much. I am very definitely an “ears on” player and will not change out pickups for the sake of change. If these pickups sound as good at home as they do in the store, they will be keepers but sometimes it is hard to judge. I have had to change out pickups in high end guitars twice before and Lindy has never let me down. I confess to being an irrational gear snob so, of course, I instinctively wrinkle my nose at these Korean pickups. As my wife frequently reminds me though, I just need to get over it.

Many thanks for all of this input. The S2 came home with me today and it is lovely. Cleans are very good even through my dirtiest amp. I really appreciate all of the help.

s7LccQr.png

Many thanks for all of this input. The S2 came home with me today and it is lovely. Cleans are very good even through my dirtiest amp. I really appreciate all of the help.

s7LccQr.png
That's a sweet score man.. congrats!

s7LccQr.png
Nice I like the look of that one. Hope you're enjoying.

"Just back off the volume control 2 or 3 numbers, and the clean is fine."
This is the trick. It works perfectly.

I was able to dial in this guitar perfectly. After just a few hours playing, it is the most touch sensitive guitar I have ever played. Almost requires a different technique than my Fenders. Very complex and versitile set of tones. The coil splits are amazing.

Might well be the nicest electric I have ever owned.

Thanks again for all of the insight. I am definitely on the PRS reservation now.

Thanks for all these nice comments. I am very pleased with it and have spent the evening wondering why I have not paid attnetion to PRS guitars until now. This guitar has a unique voice, sitting right between LPs and Strats. It is also super easy to play. The 25" scale is perfect. I have always felt a little cramped at 24.5". I really could not be happier.

I didn't see anyone talk about the pickup swap. If you ever feel you need it or want it...it's pretty straight forward to do as easy as any guitar would be. You made a good choice.

I didn't see anyone talk about the pickup swap. If you ever feel you need it or want it...it's pretty straight forward to do as easy as any guitar would be. You made a good choice.
Thanks very much for this.

I might change my opinion, but based upon a few hours playing, I am happy with the stock pickups. I was able to dial in any number of great tones.

Last edited:
Back