S2 Singlecut: 1-piece body?

sumitagarwal

Didn't think of it before, but looking closely at my S2 Singlecut Satin I really can't identify any seams in the body. Is it 1-piece? I see the neck is clearly the usual more budget 3-piece (neck heel and scarf). This guitar is also one of my lightest.

Won't complain if the body is 1-piece, but that's pretty unusual at this piece point. Even among the now quite expensive SE's I don't think any of those use a single piece of mahogany for the body.

Daaayum, that's hot for that price point! 🔥 I don't think you can even get that on regular production Gibson these days

What about the Vela Semi-hollow? I would assume on those the top has to be separate and then glued onto the bottom. Which of course would be totally reasonable standard semi-hollow construction.

And nothing against multi-piece bodies, I'm just really surprised they would take that additional expense on a budget model. The 3-piece neck is great and just fine by me, and on a neck I can't help but wonder if it actually adds a touch of weather stability

Whoa, ok, I thought it was light but I just weighed my S2 and the thing is 7.2 lbs!! Granted that's with a couple of small changes (changed adjustable wraparound to a Paul's fixed wraparound, changed tuner buttons to pearloid, and took out the string locks), but that is still 🍌's.

I'm pretty sure that does actually make it my lightest solid body guitar out of loads of solid body guitars. And with no neck dive!

Extra funny because when I play it my buddy always comments on how heavy the guitar looks. And yea, I think a tobacco finish Singlecut guitar with a black pickguard has a subliminally heavy look to it (maybe from all those boat anchor 1970's Les Paul's), but it's really funny how the mind works.

The single-piece body was a major factor in me picking up the S2 Standard 22 single cut I have. My SG Standard is two-piece (tho the join is dead center and impossible to see- you’d only know it by looking at the end grain).

The single-piece body was a major factor in me picking up the S2 Standard 22 single cut I have. My SG Standard is two-piece (tho the join is dead center and impossible to see- you’d only know it by looking at the end grain).
I can't believe how much guitar these are versus the price and the market. I got mine for $650, all-original, with original bag, some nicks and dings but nothing that would raise an eyebrow.

The S2's are no joke, I have a lovely Vela Vernon Reid signature and it's very loud acoustically and every bit as alive as my cores. I believe a one piece body makes a difference. They even give you that buttery feel when fretting. Scoping out a S2 594 Thinline, they are exceptional!!

Back