Why the hatred?

I don’t think he wants to trade them all up, I mean really is there a huge sound difference between an LP studio and a standard? An MIM strat and an American? @ some point is the extra cost really delivering enough extra to warrant the additional cost? We have 2 epiphones, it is the equivalent of an SE really. Even if we had that money, I think there might be other ways to spend it. For me, the reason to buy a $6000 PRS would be because that’s the only way I can have an insane violet quilt, but I wonder if Matt would really feel it played like $6000? The whole diminishing return on investment thing!

It's more than just the sound - it's the feel and the sum of the parts. Stuff that maybe you can feel, maybe you can't, and if you can't, then no, it's not worth the difference. But if you can feel/hear the difference, the more expensive guitar might just be a bargain.

On the flip side, I played a $10k+ PRS and wouldn’t have paid $3k for it because, to me, that particular guitar, didn’t offer enough to warrant its price tag. But another $10k PRS might have warranted that price tag.... to me.

My PS was worth every penny - to me. To someone else? Maybe, maybe not. But it's about as close to a perfect guitar for me as I've owned. It may not scratch every itch every time, but no guitar ever will.

It's more than just the sound - it's the feel and the sum of the parts. Stuff that maybe you can feel, maybe you can't, and if you can't, then no, it's not worth the difference. But if you can feel/hear the difference, the more expensive guitar might just be a bargain.

My PS was worth every penny - to me. To someone else? Maybe, maybe not. But it's about as close to a perfect guitar for me as I've owned. It may not scratch every itch every time, but no guitar ever will.
I know it’s about the overall feel and the sum of the parts etc. Maybe he’ll feel $6000 maybe he won’t? Our favorite is the 90’s SG he loves it’s worn neck and we hit pu Nirvana, I think he likes it better than the LP and that was his dream. And SG’s are cheap in Gibson land, and we got this on eBay for a great deal. He is happy and I don’t necessarily want to plant the desire for something that would be a huge financial burden. I’m not saying you shouldn’t enjoy them if you have the means though!!!

I know it’s about the overall feel and the sum of the parts etc. Maybe he’ll feel $6000 maybe he won’t? Our favorite is the 90’s SG he loves it’s worn neck and we hit pu Nirvana, I think he likes it better than the LP and that was his dream. And SG’s are cheap in Gibson land, and we got this on eBay for a great deal. He is happy and I don’t necessarily want to plant the desire for something that would be a huge financial burden. I’m not saying you shouldn’t enjoy them if you have the means though!!!

Its personal as everyone says and the worst guitar I played was a Gibson Les Paul Custom belonging to a fellow band member. I was playing an old Epiphone Les Paul Custom (it even had the same headstock and split diamond headstock inlay) and even he agreed my Epiphone was a better guitar - played better, sounded better and sustained for days so I do understand that not all 'cheap' guitars are bad and that not all expensive guitars are great.

Over the years, I have tried 'expensive guitars' - the Parker Fly when it was new, a fair few Gibsons but a lot feel good but not 'expensive'. As a fan of the Les Paul sound and as someone who was more accustomed to a Les Paul layout, when I finally had the opportunity to buy one - it seemed more sensible to spend that much on something I was more familiar with, something with a fixed Bridge as I hadn't owned a Trem, I tried to find the 'one' Gibson Les Paul. However I could not find one that felt, sounded and played great in the colour I wanted without any imperfections - regardless of how 'small' or inconsequential the 'flaw' was. One of the ones that I thought sounded the best, had a small gap in the neckpocket - you could get your nail into it or use it as a pick holder. The neck joint was often the biggest issue where the glue that squeezed out wasn't cleaned properly or wasn't taped up properly so the stain bled. I could go on but I am sure you get the picture.

Once I picked up a 594, it felt amazing, it felt expensive. Everything was finished perfectly and i much prefer the faux maple binding to plastic on a Les Paul around the body. I know that Nitro has its advantages but also wears quicker and the quality of the maple flame is definitely not AAAA or AAAAA (considering a non-10 top has much better flame). The neck on my 594, whilst not satin or nitro didn't feel sticky and that neck felt like I had been playing it for years, felt broken in. Every fret was perfect and the Double cut made the neck and the weight feel much better than any Gibson. Obviously a 594 offers locking tuners and the open back oozes quality. The knobs are so smooth and easy - no resistance at all and the switch felt better to me too. Before I plugged it in, 1 strum and I was sold. It rang and rang - maybe that was the Brass saddles and being thicker than a LP - but it felt more resonant. Whilst I wasn't interested in other colours, a quick look over and strum of an alternative told me it wasn't a one-off, that my 'one' wasn't the only 'one' and that I could have picked any and that could of been the 'one' such was the consistency. Therefore I felt confident to buy the 594 in the colour I wanted.

If I have to pay a bit more for that quality, for the extra time taken to ensure the guitar is 'perfect', that it passes the QC check to move on to the next phase of its build to ensure that by the time it came to be in my collection it was faultless, then I am willing to pay that bit more. Maybe if I had been lucky in my Gibson search, I would of bought that instead and may not of bought my PRS 509 'superstrat'. I would still of bought a Custom 24 because I had wanted one for over 30yrs. The quality and feel of that 594 though and the fact that I can order a PRS online to ensure I get the colour I want without worrying that its not the 'one' because they are so consistent.

Everything feels quality and the tone too sounds expensive. I know that may sound funny but play a US made Custom 24 and an SE Custom 24 - not that the SE sounds bad, far from it but the Core sounds better. I do agree that its not 4x better as the price difference would seem to indicate but it does sound better (to me). All those things add up and it seems like you have a big premium to get that 'extra' something that a Core PRS gives.

Once I had my first core PRS, nothing else seemed to match up, other than another core PRS. That quality and feel is addictive and why 1 became 2, became 3 and so on. Its why I am prepared to make sacrifices to maximise my saving potential for months to buy another core. Others may feel different but all I can do is speak of my own experience.

Its personal as everyone says and the worst guitar I played was a Gibson Les Paul Custom belonging to a fellow band member. I was playing an old Epiphone Les Paul Custom (it even had the same headstock and split diamond headstock inlay) and even he agreed my Epiphone was a better guitar - played better, sounded better and sustained for days so I do understand that not all 'cheap' guitars are bad and that not all expensive guitars are great.

Over the years, I have tried 'expensive guitars' - the Parker Fly when it was new, a fair few Gibsons but a lot feel good but not 'expensive'. As a fan of the Les Paul sound and as someone who was more accustomed to a Les Paul layout, when I finally had the opportunity to buy one - it seemed more sensible to spend that much on something I was more familiar with, something with a fixed Bridge as I hadn't owned a Trem, I tried to find the 'one' Gibson Les Paul. However I could not find one that felt, sounded and played great in the colour I wanted without any imperfections - regardless of how 'small' or inconsequential the 'flaw' was. One of the ones that I thought sounded the best, had a small gap in the neckpocket - you could get your nail into it or use it as a pick holder. The neck joint was often the biggest issue where the glue that squeezed out wasn't cleaned properly or wasn't taped up properly so the stain bled. I could go on but I am sure you get the picture.

Once I picked up a 594, it felt amazing, it felt expensive. Everything was finished perfectly and i much prefer the faux maple binding to plastic on a Les Paul around the body. I know that Nitro has its advantages but also wears quicker and the quality of the maple flame is definitely not AAAA or AAAAA (considering a non-10 top has much better flame). The neck on my 594, whilst not satin or nitro didn't feel sticky and that neck felt like I had been playing it for years, felt broken in. Every fret was perfect and the Double cut made the neck and the weight feel much better than any Gibson. Obviously a 594 offers locking tuners and the open back oozes quality. The knobs are so smooth and easy - no resistance at all and the switch felt better to me too. Before I plugged it in, 1 strum and I was sold. It rang and rang - maybe that was the Brass saddles and being thicker than a LP - but it felt more resonant. Whilst I wasn't interested in other colours, a quick look over and strum of an alternative told me it wasn't a one-off, that my 'one' wasn't the only 'one' and that I could have picked any and that could of been the 'one' such was the consistency. Therefore I felt confident to buy the 594 in the colour I wanted.

If I have to pay a bit more for that quality, for the extra time taken to ensure the guitar is 'perfect', that it passes the QC check to move on to the next phase of its build to ensure that by the time it came to be in my collection it was faultless, then I am willing to pay that bit more. Maybe if I had been lucky in my Gibson search, I would of bought that instead and may not of bought my PRS 509 'superstrat'. I would still of bought a Custom 24 because I had wanted one for over 30yrs. The quality and feel of that 594 though and the fact that I can order a PRS online to ensure I get the colour I want without worrying that its not the 'one' because they are so consistent.

Everything feels quality and the tone too sounds expensive. I know that may sound funny but play a US made Custom 24 and an SE Custom 24 - not that the SE sounds bad, far from it but the Core sounds better. I do agree that its not 4x better as the price difference would seem to indicate but it does sound better (to me). All those things add up and it seems like you have a big premium to get that 'extra' something that a Core PRS gives.

Once I had my first core PRS, nothing else seemed to match up, other than another core PRS. That quality and feel is addictive and why 1 became 2, became 3 and so on. Its why I am prepared to make sacrifices to maximise my saving potential for months to buy another core. Others may feel different but all I can do is speak of my own experience.
That is wonderful for you! For us, Matty isn’t a professional, plays in cover bands and open jams locally. He doesn’t feel he is the guy who should be spending $1000’s on a guitar. Frankly, we buy gear, when our money would probably be better spent elsewhere. So we are happy and are hoping to enjoy our SE!

That is wonderful for you! For us, Matty isn’t a professional, plays in cover bands and open jams locally. He doesn’t feel he is the guy who should be spending $1000’s on a guitar. Frankly, we buy gear, when our money would probably be better spent elsewhere. So we are happy and are hoping to enjoy our SE!

At the end of the day, all that matters is that you are both happy and enjoying life. I hope you don't think I was being critical or anything, I was just trying to explain why I think the core guitars are justifiably expensive and what that extra cost brings to me.

I can totally understand that 'bang for buck' you can certainly get that and more from an SE. I know there are a lot of people who think that the difference between an SE and a Core is not as big as the difference in cost. Mark Holcombe for example will happily play his SE signature model on tour which is testament to how good the guitars coming out of Korea and Indonesia are. With Paul's guitar releasing as an SE version, there has been a few comparison video's made comparing the SE and Core version - both of which are excellent in their price range. Considering how closely matched they are, I can easily see why some will rather use the difference in cost on other things.

Anyway, I am glad that you are both happy and enjoying your musical journey's together and look forward to your NGD posts.

At the end of the day, all that matters is that you are both happy and enjoying life. I hope you don't think I was being critical or anything, I was just trying to explain why I think the core guitars are justifiably expensive and what that extra cost brings to me.

I can totally understand that 'bang for buck' you can certainly get that and more from an SE. I know there are a lot of people who think that the difference between an SE and a Core is not as big as the difference in cost. Mark Holcombe for example will happily play his SE signature model on tour which is testament to how good the guitars coming out of Korea and Indonesia are. With Paul's guitar releasing as an SE version, there has been a few comparison video's made comparing the SE and Core version - both of which are excellent in their price range. Considering how closely matched they are, I can easily see why some will rather use the difference in cost on other things.

Anyway, I am glad that you are both happy and enjoying your musical journey's together and look forward to your NGD posts.
Didn’t find it snooty in the least! We are all sharing our love and experiences. The SE is here in amazing shape, help me decipher the serial number? S24274. Says made in Korea!

Didn’t find it snooty in the least! We are all sharing our love and experiences. The SE is here in amazing shape, help me decipher the serial number? S24274. Says made in Korea!

The serial number (I believe) on SE's (at least the Korean ones) uses the letter to determine its year so P = 2014, Q = 2015, R = 2016 and S = 2017. I would therefore conclude that the 24272 would mean that its the 24,272nd guitar made in Korea and that the Guitar was built in 2017.

I am not sure if the Indonesian made SE's have a different method of doing their Serial Number but as far as the Korean guitars are concerned, that's how to decipher the Serial Number

The serial number (I believe) on SE's (at least the Korean ones) uses the letter to determine its year so P = 2014, Q = 2015, R = 2016 and S = 2017. I would therefore conclude that the 24272 would mean that its the 24,272nd guitar made in Korea and that the Guitar was built in 2017.

I am not sure if the Indonesian made SE's have a different method of doing their Serial Number but as far as the Korean guitars are concerned, that's how to decipher the Serial Number
Ok so 2017, pretty new! Thank you so much!

Wait, what? You have to learn scales to be good? I didn't know that. No wonder I suck. How many scales do I need to know to be good? Please don't say "all of them."
Just 1. But you have to be able to play it in any position on the neck and starting at any note in the scale.
Everything else is just funny names to make it sound more complicated than it really is.

Just 1. But you have to be able to play it in any position on the neck and starting at any note in the scale.
Everything else is just funny names to make it sound more complicated than it really is.

So even without the harmonic minor dimished 7th phrygian stuff, it still sounds too complicated for me. I should have learned it when my rememory was better.

Yup, that gear syndrome is a sickness. The world is still looking for a cure (although those infected with it don’t seem to be looking for a cure as urgently as they should... instead they are looking for more gear so go figure).

I have a 10 guitar limit. And I’m at 10 now so in order for something to come in, something has to go out. Of those 10, I have my top 7 (of which I’ve named ‘the magnificent seven’) and those ain’t moving on any time soon.

I could have a ton of SE guitars given what I’ve paid for for these Core/Artist/Wood Library mofos. And I probably would have that many if I hadn’t been spoiled forever by playing my first Core model. I kept 2 SEs because they were high quality for what they were but my Cores get pretty much all of the playing time these days.

I'm glad you're able to stick to your limit. When I did the purge in February, I got to 5, and intended to maybe end up with 6. Then, I spotted the Tremonti with the BRW neck/board at CME while they were buying all my stuff on the first of two trips. Had to have it. Took some cash off of what they were giving me and took it home. The second day I went with the rest of the gear, I took a book to read so I wouldn't take something else home. A day later I really, really regret selling them my Cu22. I call and ask if I can buy it back for what they bought it for. Now I'm at 7. My goals were met. Stuff was paid off. The wife retired. Move along. The Mrs gets a big fat bonus (10x what it had been the last 3 years), and she tells me I should use a little of it to buy a guitar since I sold all of those for her.

No, no, no.....then I get the idea that double digit guitars would be the right number. I think it'll be 10! Uh oh....that's a cool Proto-Type. Better snag it. Oops, 11. Gotta make it a dozen....bang. Wait, my favorite number is 13. The DC-22 will make 13. Mission accomplished! :rolleyes:

The thread about no one playing PRSi in the San Diego area inspired this thread...

Why do you think PRS are either a love it or hate it brand? I think it's safe to say here on this forum at least, we all love all things PRS. But most other sites, such as MLP and TGP, and a few others, the mere mention of PRS brings out all of the haters. I can understand not bonding with an instrument, but more often than not, it's not a "I just can't bond with PRS" its more of a "I hate PRS!" "Birds are the ugliest!" etc...

Now granted, I KNOW its not all black and white, but it sure seems like it is most of the time.
Is that really a thing?

While I'm a new guitarist, I've been a rock and roll fanatic for decades and interested in guitars for a very long time. Since I started learning about instruments and musicians in the 1970s I've not noticed much of anything negative about any brand. Sure people love what they love, some are condescending about "made in China" or budget instruments, but for the most part if it plays and sounds good, people like it.

I had heard of PRS as early as the late 1980s, but never anything negative. Back then they were kind of boutique guitars. Later I heard them described as a luxury brand, more often as just high-end. Some described them as being great to play, but not having a unique or interesting tone, but then people often describe Les Pauls as having great tone, but being difficult or uncomfortable to play.

When I started playing I saw them as an aspirational instrument and very happy that I was able to afford one.

Last edited:
I'm glad you're able to stick to your limit. When I did the purge in February, I got to 5, and intended to maybe end up with 6. Then, I spotted the Tremonti with the BRW neck/board at CME while they were buying all my stuff on the first of two trips. Had to have it. Took some cash off of what they were giving me and took it home. The second day I went with the rest of the gear, I took a book to read so I wouldn't take something else home. A day later I really, really regret selling them my Cu22. I call and ask if I can buy it back for what they bought it for. Now I'm at 7. My goals were met. Stuff was paid off. The wife retired. Move along. The Mrs gets a big fat bonus (10x what it had been the last 3 years), and she tells me I should use a little of it to buy a guitar since I sold all of those for her.

No, no, no.....then I get the idea that double digit guitars would be the right number. I think it'll be 10! Uh oh....that's a cool Proto-Type. Better snag it. Oops, 11. Gotta make it a dozen....bang. Wait, my favorite number is 13. The DC-22 will make 13. Mission accomplished! :rolleyes:

It's like a train... on the rails... goes off the rails for a while.... but somehow gets back on. Or maybe I got that backwards...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that really a thing?

While I'm a new guitarist, I've been a rock and roll fanatic for decades and interested in guitars for a very long time. Since I started learning about instruments and musicians in the 1970s I've not noticed much of anything negative about any brand. Sure people love what they love, some are condescending about "made in China" or budget instruments, but for the most part if it plays and sounds good, people like it.

Go to The Gear Page. Plenty of PRS bashers there. I have a whole different theory on why people have brand issues, but I won't bore anyone with it.

Part of it is the "guitars for dentists" trope. Core PRS are pricey and a bit "precious" with their birds and ornate flames.

Also I can see where Paul may rub some the wrong way as he's bit of showman and salesman talking things like "tonewood", the exposed brass and the clink of nuts stuff that sounds more like magic than anything else.

I dig it and take most of it with a grain of salt. The attention to detail and craftsmanship speak for themselves and once you actually play a PRS, you get it.
You think PRS has a guitars for dentists trope, you should all of the hate directed at Leica owners on photography forums.

Leica cameras and lenses make even PRS Private Stock look like mass production. Leica's top of the line camera body (the M10P) costs $8,000 that doesn't even include a lens, which range from $2,000 for the very cheapest up to about $11,000 for the most expensive 50mm, and those don't even have automatic focus and aren't zooms.

Hell, my Leica digital doesn't even shoot in color, at all.

It just occurred to me that this thread might actually be about a moribund Linux distribution

Back